Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse

Maybe just maybe Grandison has been outplaying Griffin in practice all year and Griffin felt it was very questionable he was going to beat Grandison out for a starting spot if Ayo goes pro which was still undetermined at the time he made his decision to enter the transfer portal

Grandison has been "elite" during practice all year. ;)

Imagine spending your whole life perfecting your craft, reaching the highest levels of that profession and being so well versed in it that when you can't do it anymore you are hired to teach it to others, also at the highest level. And then imagine your significant other overruling you on how your child should pursue that craft.

Right now I dont think he has the physical skills or the mental aspect to reach the NBA.

Physically I don't know what else he could need besides 2". He's still 6'5", has a frame that can handle more mass, has great length/wingspan, and is a good athlete (not necessarily explosive, but enough). He also is clearly an excellent shooter. And he also proven an ability to work on his craft and improve. To me, those suggest he has the physical traits, likely has the mental aspect from what we've been able to see, and has at least one elite skill that is in very high demand. If he wants to make it to the league, I think the areas he'll need to improve are his defensive awareness and positioning, and his handle and ability to drive on closeouts without losing control. The idea that he's a PG is laughable, but he absolutely has the type of skillset (pending improvement) and physical attributes necessary to play a 3-and-D role at the 2 spot (Terence Davis would be a comp that comes to mind).

Deleted member 8896

D
Physically I don't know what else he could need besides 2". He's still 6'5", has a frame that can handle more mass, has great length/wingspan, and is a good athlete (not necessarily explosive, but enough). He also is clearly an excellent shooter. And he also proven an ability to work on his craft and improve. To me, those suggest he has the physical traits, likely has the mental aspect from what we've been able to see, and has at least one elite skill that is in very high demand. If he wants to make it to the league, I think the areas he'll need to improve are his defensive awareness and positioning, and his handle and ability to drive on closeouts without losing control. The idea that he's a PG is laughable, but he absolutely has the type of skillset (pending improvement) and physical attributes necessary to play a 3-and-D role at the 2 spot (Terence Davis would be a comp that comes to mind).
You are talking about a player that isn’t even in the top 100-150 rated 2020 draftable players being in the NBA. I doubt he will be in the top 100 next year.

Imagine spending your whole life perfecting your craft, reaching the highest levels of that profession and being so well versed in it that when you can't do it anymore you are hired to teach it to others, also at the highest level. And then imagine your significant other overruling you on how your child should pursue that craft.
Sounds like marriage to me.

haasi

New York
Torvik's final BIG numbers had Alan Griffin at #20 player in the conference. Feliz was at #19.
I think Torvik’s efficiency rating is mainly offense-focused and he doesn’t have a good way to quantify defensive efficiency at the individual level. Alan was great for us offensively. We will miss him.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Imagine spending your whole life perfecting your craft, reaching the highest levels of that profession and being so well versed in it that when you can't do it anymore you are hired to teach it to others, also at the highest level. And then imagine your decisions are questioned by fans on a message board.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Kendricks success after leaving speaks volumes to Groce’s failure in player development. Really horrible to think about.
Or is his development linked to going from a college player who has to balance life, a class schedule, and a limited number of hours of working with the coaching staff, to being a professional athlete who can focus all of his efforts and energy on perfecting his craft with paid professionals along the way 365 days a year? It's not like Nunn left Illinois and all of this just happened. He has been gone for 4 years and spent a year in the G League. He is a 24-year-old man now.

I won't defend Groce, but I wont put all the blame on him either.

Deleted member 29907

D
Imagine spending your whole life perfecting your craft, reaching the highest levels of that profession and being so well versed in it that when you can't do it anymore you are hired to teach it to others, also at the highest level. And then imagine your decisions are questioned by fans on a message board.
Guys, guys, these are not the words to the song...

Right now I dont think he has the physical skills or the mental aspect to reach the NBA.

Does he have a ways to go? Sure. Nobody doubts that especially because his path to the NBA seems to be as a 3 and D guy, and he needs to get better defensively.

But to me, his NBA comp is Danny Green, and that seems really obvious. Again, that’s just to me.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Gonna be interesting to see how Griffin fares.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Gonna be interesting to see how Griffin fares.

OTOH, not everyone wants to play for Brad Underwood, it will be interesting to see who he replaces Griffin with. Hopefully it is an upgrade.