Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse

The zone gets trashed sometimes unfairly. It's a system that can cover up some physical limitations in players. But it can't cover up problems with attitude or aptitude.

I don't think Syracuse zone principles don’t allow for many physical limitations. They rotate hard, the guards have to be able to shadow the high post, while covering shooters up top, or playing 1v1 defense with the ball handler. The wings have to able to guard the slot, short corner and corner at the same time without being beat baseline. If they are beat baseline they have to recover to a hard trap with the big while everyone rotates accordingly. The outside 4 also have to be able to play ball screen defense and work off pins just like you would in man. The big himself has to be able to guard 1v1 from the high post and sometimes will be required to close out the corner, and not get beat baseline. They’re not playing it to cover physical limitations. They’re playing it to swarm you with athletes and length.

This is not meant at you because your first sentence mentions how the zone is unfairly judged. But to me, people like Weber and Painter who say stuff like I’ll never play zone blah blah blah, that’s an ego, bravado thing. People will say well “I’m a man guy” that’s what we’re gonna play all the time. Well I’m a win the game guy. And it’s gotten Boeheim to almost 1000 career wins at Syracuse and a national title. Boeheim’s zone quote about playing his primary defense vs everybody’s second offense will probably stick with me forever. So many in the basketball world see a zone as a cop out defensively. Syracuse uses it as a weapon and to me it’s fantastic.

I can see AG flying around up top using his length and leaking out for dunks and 3s, or crashing the glass hard from the top to rebound. It’s a hand in glove fit to me.

Last edited:

HoopCity

Huntsville, AL
I thing AG ultimately sits one and plays one. Unless NCAA allows him to play and Illinois green lights it. I wish him the best, he showed great improvement over the last year. Thought he would start next season and average 12-14 ppg.

If the NCAA Division I Council approves the proposal in April, first-time transfers starting in the 2020 academic year would no longer have to endure the long-standing “year-in-residence” in their first season at their new school. The proposal is being fast-tracked.

I don't think Syracuse zone principles don’t allow for many physical limitations. They rotate hard, the guards have to be able to shadow the high post, while covering shooters up top, or playing 1v1 defense with the ball handler. The wings have to able to guard the slot, short corner and corner at the same time without being beat baseline. If they are beat baseline they have to recover to a hard trap with the big while everyone rotates accordingly. The outside 4 also have to be able to play ball screen defense and work off pins just like you would in man. The big himself has to be able to guard 1v1 from the high post and sometimes will be required to close out the corner, and not get beat baseline. They’re not playing it to cover physical limitations. They’re playing it to swarm you with athletes and length.

This is not meant at you because your first sentence mentions how the zone is unfairly judged. But to me, people like Weber and Painter who say stuff like I’ll never play zone blah blah blah, that’s an ego, bravado thing. People will say well “I’m a man guy” that’s what we’re gonna play all the time. Well I’m a win the game guy. And it’s gotten Boeheim to almost 1000 career wins at Syracuse and a national title. Boeheim’s zone quote about playing his primary defense vs everybody’s second offense will probably stick with me forever. So many in the basketball world see a zone as a cop out defensively. Syracuse uses it as a weapon and to me it’s fantastic.

I can see AG flying around up top using his length and leaking out for dunks and 3s, or crashing the glass hard from the top to rebound. It’s a hand in glove fit to me.
Thanks.

Do you keep yourself in situations that you don’t feel are in your best interest because of loyalty?

Or do you do what you feel is best for you?
I think in certain situations you most certainly have to do what you feel is in your best interest. However, I also feel as though players today have more of a what’s in it for me attitude. Loyalty is becoming a rare commodity.

illini55

The Villages, FL
I think in certain situations you most certainly have to do what you feel is in your best interest. However, I also feel as though players today have more of a what’s in it for me attitude. Loyalty is becoming a rare commodity.
I certainly hope you're wrong about Loyalty. I really enjoy reading it every day.

I think there’s less chance of getting lost playing zone than man. This should help Griffin.

Illini in OC

In. The. Alley.
All the best to AG. He brought it every night. A good version of a "glue guy". Not quite Lucas Johnson, but always a warrior. Seemed like a favorite among teammates.

I always thought his Dad had taught him how to get in guys' heads without anyone else knowing it was happening... which, of course, is even more effective ;)

Seems like other guys got in his head, too. His earlier actions, including intentionally stepping on the chest of a defenseless opponent on the floor, made me wonder about his nature and stability. He came and went in games, too. Then, just as it appeared his star might be rising at Illinois, he abruptly walks.

At best, he was inconsistent and unpredictable. To me, he seemed somewhat self-focused and erratic.

All considered, I'm not overly disappointed by his exit.

Zorak

Naperville
Good for Alan for landing at a great school like Syracuse. I hope he finds what he's looking for.

Illini in OC

In. The. Alley.
Seems like other guys got in his head, too. His earlier actions, including intentionally stepping on the chest of a defenseless opponent on the floor, made me wonder about his nature and stability. He came and went in games, too. Then, just as it appeared his star might be rising at Illinois, he abruptly walks.

At best, he was inconsistent and unpredictable. To me, he seemed somewhat self-focused and erratic.

This is pretty much the reply I expected :)

The Laettner tap - although harmless - was certainly way out of bounds.
AG took his punishment like a man and apologized. After he came back from his suspension, he worked his a$$ off with a ton of passion.
Did he fail to box out against Sparty? Yes he did. Was it a failure to hustle? No. Do I think he's learned from this? Yes.
Was I looking forward to a big jump from AG in multiple dimensions next year? Yes.

I'll bet my beach house AG shines at Syracuse. We can debate the idea that is a good thing and his replacement will be an uptick. I don't buy it.
I think this a loss from which we must recover. I have no doubt we will but certainly something new and unexpected for BU and staff to deal with. Just adds to the load.

I assume we disagree. OK by me.

This is why I wish he had stayed in the B1G. If he was as bad as all this, he would have terribly weakened the team he was on. I think that he played hard every game, had no plays run for him at all, could shoot the lights out, and was a disruptive force on defense. He got his hands on a lot of balls and got in the way of passing lanes. I think he would have destroyed Illinois if he had played us. But, you all just keep on hating.

Lets hope he starts because Syracuse has ranked outside the top 300 teams in the country the last 8 years for minutes played by bench players.

So you disagree with guys like Weber and Painter who say they will only play man, but you're OK with Boeheim who will only play zone?

I agree, it's a good fit for AG.

Last edited:
This is why I wish he had stayed in the B1G. If he was as bad as all this, he would have terribly weakened the team he was on. I think that he played hard every game, had no plays run for him at all, could shoot the lights out, and was a disruptive force on defense. He got his hands on a lot of balls and got in the way of passing lanes. I think he would have destroyed Illinois if he had played us. But, you all just keep on hating.
He was a disruptive force on defense? LOL! He was easily the worst defender in our rotation.

WINT

Kewanee, IL
He was a disruptive force on defense? LOL! He was easily the worst defender in our rotation.
I’ll agree with that. Kip’s bad games were bad too. However he’s a actually a great rebounder.

This will end up being a very good spot for him, still gets national looks, probably better for his family. Good Luck AG
Yeah, it looks like momma got what she wanted in bringing him close to home and I can't blame her one iota. I would want my kid playing close enough for me to get to the games if I were in her shoes.