Alliance of American Football League

So I've been hearing more and more about this new, 8 team, pro football league that's kicking off this week so I decided to check out the rosters to see if I could find any familiar names.
Only 1 former Illini player (at least who lists Illinois as their school, there may have been someone who started at Illinois then transferred out) in the league and that's Chunky Clements, who plays for the Arizona Hotshots.
Not sure if I'll follow any of this league or not, just thought it might be of general interest to you guys about Chunky. Have to wonder if this will turn into some kind of D-League for the NFL.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
The NFL takes guys from the Arena league from time to time, so I'd guess that if talent can rise from the AAF the NFL will take notice. The one thing I picked up from this league is that their drafts were mostly regional, with the intent to have players on teams near their former college, and each team has an assigned area to which they have more or less exclusive rights to those players.

There's some interesting names on the rosters, with some NFL washouts (Denard Robinson is playing for Atlanta), guys that were too small or a step too slow for the league, and some guys who played in Canada.

All the teams are in the southern half of the country except for Salt Lake City. It will be interesting to see February football at that elevation, and they're playing outdoors.

Great roster of head coaches, too. Singletary, Spurrier, Neuheisel, Mike Riley, Mike Martz, and Dennis Erickson among them.

So I've been hearing more and more about this new, 8 team, pro football league that's kicking off this week so I decided to check out the rosters to see if I could find any familiar names.
Only 1 former Illini player (at least who lists Illinois as their school, there may have been someone who started at Illinois then transferred out) in the league and that's Chunky Clements, who plays for the Arizona Hotshots.
Not sure if I'll follow any of this league or not, just thought it might be of general interest to you guys about Chunky. Have to wonder if this will turn into some kind of D-League for the NFL.
Arizona also has OL Hugh Thornton. For some reason he isn't listed on the active roster yet.

Watched a bit of the Birmingham-Memphis game yesterday while folding laundry. Man, has Christian Hackenberg fallen down hard!

His freshman year at PSU was just in 2013. He never seemed to develop to match the hype of that season, but still got picked in the second round of the draft less than 3 years ago.

And yesterday he was thoroughly outplayed by an undrafted D-II player on the other team and eventually got benched for a kid that was playing for Troy 14 months ago.

Apparently the AAF missed payroll in week 1. They told agents it was just a glitch from switching administrators, but that's what they always say.

Plus, apparently they're not getting any rights fees from broadcasters, as they couldn't demand any. It's not clear if they are getting airtime for free as a partnership agreement or just outright paying to have the games on TV.

This whole thing is going to fold pretty darn quickly.

Apparently the AAF missed payroll in week 1. They told agents it was just a glitch from switching administrators, but that's what they always say.

Plus, apparently they're not getting any rights fees from broadcasters, as they couldn't demand any. It's not clear if they are getting airtime for free as a partnership agreement or just outright paying to have the games on TV.

This whole thing is going to fold pretty darn quickly.
How the tables turn in a couple hours...

Looks like the AAF got its white knight:
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/26030221/hurricanes-owner-tom-dundon-invests-250m-aaf

illinipioneer

Richmond, VA
I'm sure I could think of dumber ways to flush $250MM down the toilet, but it's escaping me right now...

While I agree, on its face, it does look to be ridiculous. If the AAF can become a legitimate minor league for the NFL....maybe it all works. However I'm sure the folks up in Canada thought the same thing. But, with them playing in the spring and finishing by the end of April some of the standouts may have the chance to make an NFL roster? unless their contracts prevent that?

While I agree, on its face, it does look to be ridiculous. If the AAF can become a legitimate minor league for the NFL....maybe it all works. However I'm sure the folks up in Canada thought the same thing. But, with them playing in the spring and finishing by the end of April some of the standouts may have the chance to make an NFL roster? unless their contracts prevent that?

They're all on $250K non-guaranteed 3 year contracts that are paying them $70k this year, $80k next and $100k the 3rd. And they have outs for the NFL, but not for the XFL, which is supposedly starting back up next year.

I just don't see why it would become a minor league NFL. I've seen the on field product described as "much worse than major college football". And the NFL is already benefiting from the NCAA running a free minor leagues for them. There's really no reason for the league to exist if it doesn't make money, and at this large of a scale with no secondary TV rights money coming in, I can't see how they're going to make money.

I wonder how the $250M deal came about. It doesn’t matter how rich you are, you don’t drop that much cash on a whim.

I wonder if there wasn’t some sort of pre-existing understanding. Something like, “You prove you can get the league up and running, and then I’ll pony up the dough.”

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
this league totally has the blessing of the NFL and they do in fact see it as a de facto "minor league" ala MLB model and/or D League ala NBA. The stories I have read about it , is the NFL misses the benefits that the NFL Europe gave them.

You don't throw 1/4 B into a league without doing a lot of due diligence first. This investment has likely been discussed for MONTHS, and was likely a "silent verbal" until the first two weeks were in the books. While I don't yet have any desire to watch them on TV, I will once I hear it gets fun to watch.

By picking towns overlooked/abandoned by the NFL for whatever reasons, they can generate local interest, especially if they concentrate on cities with moderate/warm climates and/or domes to play in.

I wish them success. I think the business model can work - they have good people in place to help make that happen. The reason the USFL , WFL and other leagues failed was they tried to go up against the NFL in players or in space and they bled money like crazy trying to compete.

Well, that ended quickly.

How do you get a quarter billion $ cash infusion on February 19th and then fold on April 2nd? Did they have the expenses of a medium-sized European nation? How did they miscalculate their budget that badly?

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL

How do you get a quarter billion $ cash infusion on February 19th and then fold on April 2nd? Did they have the expenses of a medium-sized European nation? How did they miscalculate their budget that badly?

Likely, grossly miscalculated income. They should have been pretty good on expenses.

Likely, grossly miscalculated income. They should have been pretty good on expenses.
The only variable on income would have been ticket sales and concessions. They had to know what they were getting from tv contracts and advertising before hand. I can’t believe they were banking on huge crowds for their first season.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL

Apparently he pledged the $250 million, but "only" put in $70 million initially.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
apparently the NFLPA is not on board and not cooperating with the AAF. Without the players union willing to make some concessions so fringe NFL players can participate without NFL insurance, they are keeping their members out and therefore the NFL cant use it as a D-League. That was what the whole business model was banking on. Oh well. I never watched any of it really. How did it do gate wise and TV wise in the markets it was in ?