Alma Otter / Champ Mascot

As a current UIUC student that is passionate about Illinois sports, I can tell you that this is not something supported by the students. Everyone I personally know hates it. There are some students who like it, but by far the majority (from everything I have heard) hate it and think it's monumentally stupid. I made sure to vote against it this morning.

Also interesting to note, included on the same ballot as the Alma Otter vote were students running for the student government, each with a link to their "mission statement". Several of them stated as one of their priorities something along the lines of trying to force the University to adopt a new mascot. I made sure not to vote for any of them.

Personally I am ok with the Chief being gone, but I am strongly against any new mascot as dumb as this one. If a decent option happens organically, so be it. But this is too forced by a very small segment of students and hated by the majority. I would much rather have no mascot than one as terrible as this. There's a great article on The Champaign Room about it that came out a couple days ago.

Not really, but I do see your point, the second is better imo, IF one has to be chosen for some reason.
I just like that one because the actual worst thing about the Chief being retired was that the Chief logo was probably the best thing in the history of sports logos. I don't really care so much about the actual guy or the halftime dance, but I will die on the logo hill. This bird logo is not as cool but its close

M tipping over
Pdx
Not sure what it means for a mascot to "happen organically," but I have a feeling that anything anybody comes up with ("organically" or not) will feel "forced" by some segment of the student and alumni population.

Former Krush Cow
South Bend, IN
As a current UIUC student that is passionate about Illinois sports, I can tell you that this is not something supported by the students. Everyone I personally know hates it. There are some students who like it, but by far the majority (from everything I have heard) hate it and think it's monumentally stupid. I made sure to vote against it this morning.

Also interesting to note, included on the same ballot as the Alma Otter vote were students running for the student government, each with a link to their "mission statement". Several of them stated as one of their priorities something along the lines of trying to force the University to adopt a new mascot. I made sure not to vote for any of them.

Personally I am ok with the Chief being gone, but I am strongly against any new mascot as dumb as this one. If a decent option happens organically, so be it. But this is too forced by a very small segment of students and hated by the majority. I would much rather have no mascot than one as terrible as this. There's a great article on The Champaign Room about it that came out a couple days ago.
I'm reminded of the vote a few years ago in like 2013 when they had a mascot contest vote. It's always the crazy student government that pushed it. They originally didn't have none as an option but we made them add it. The final results were
1. None.
2. None of the above.
3. Chief

Needless to say, we didn't adapt a new mascot.

Rockford, Illinois
This whole vote is a farce. It started out as a joke, and it ended up still a joke. The fact that only 7317 students out of 40,000 or so shows that not many students cared. This is further proof that the current students should not be the deciding factor; they have not shown they care enough to buy tickets and support their teams, either. Tell me again why this kind of student vote should determine the future identity of who/what represents the University of Illinois athletic teams. The people who have really shown they care by their actions and their interest, the alumni and community members, especially the ticket holders and donors who pay their money, win or lose, the true shareholders who are actually invested, are not and have not been given a chance to voice/vote for what they want. Why is that?

near Ogden & Rt 83
we are either the

A. Fighting Illini Nothings , which is what the state will be in about 10-20 years
or

B. Fighting Illini Abes

the tophat, duster coat and bada$$ axe are already there for us to utilize.

If you have an online subscription to the Wall Street Journal or can get a hard copy of the paper from March 8th, read the editorial titled, "It pays to be a Wyoming Cowboy."

The article explains that last year, the University of Wyoming launched a new slogan, "The world needs more Cowboys." As you can guess, Wyoming's versions of Nancy Cantor and Stephen Kaufman quickly objected as they claimed Cowboy stood for things like racism, sexism, heterosexism and even genocide. Their BoT disregarded the comments and voted unanimously to support the new slogan and it has paid off. Not only have sales of merchandise bearing the new slogan been through the roof, interest in the school has jumped and the campaign is winning advertising awards.

I can't recall exactly how many votes, discussions, etc. took place with the BoT, the alumni, students and faculty in the years leading up to the Chief's demise but, every single time, the vast majority of people supported keeping the Chief. More than a decade later, it is still regretful that Larry Eppley and the BoT he led didn't have the stones to simply say, "Enough!" and move on. As the last paragraph of the WSJ editorial reads, "Administrators elsewhere, take heart and cowboy up. The social-justice warriors may try to lasso you into submission, but they don't reflect genuine public opinion."

FSU found a way. They made a deal with the Seminole tribe. There is an argument out there that a deal could have been made with the Peoria Tribe (there is no Illinois tribe and there never was one). I think that could have happened had they wanted to do so.

Alternatively, you could make an argument that since there is no true Illinois tribe, just descendants of perhaps one member of the confederation, there is nobody with enough skin in the game to object and be considered or accommodated. San Diego State used that type of argument in saying that there is no Aztec civilization left (although, undoubtedly, there are descendants of those people still living in Mexico and/or Central America). So I think Illinois might have even been able to argue that had they chosen to go that route.

Although the NCAA has been hard on the Illini in the past, it doesn't seem to have as many teeth these days. Other schools openly flaunt an overt disregard for many of their rules without repercussions. With regards to potential NCAA Championships going to other venues exactly what potential events, other than perhaps something in the non-revenue sports, were the NCAA Championships that we were likely to be unable to host? Football? Hahahaha. Basketball? First- and/or second-round NIT games at the absolute best. What else? It's pretty much a non-issue, I think, and one where any lost revenues would have most likely been more than made up from the sale of sanctioned Chief merchandise and stronger alumni contributions.

I'm reminded of the vote a few years ago in like 2013 when they had a mascot contest vote. It's always the crazy student government that pushed it. They originally didn't have none as an option but we made them add it. The final results were
1. None.
2. None of the above.
3. Chef

Needless to say, we didn't adapt a new mascot.
That’s great but who are the “Chefs”?

Wyoming Cowboys are the apples to Chief Illiniwek oranges (you see what I did there, I made sure Chief was the orange in the analogy). And I'll stand by that. I think you would too, given your nuanced breakdown of why we can't go the FSU route. Illinois could have gone the SDSU route, but our situation is weaker than theirs, since afaik, there is no people-group attempting to nurture the snuffed-out embers of the Aztec civilization. On the other hand, the Peoria Tribe does exist and they are attempting to nurture the snuffed-out embers of the Illini Federation.

I do totally agree that the BoT totally whiffed on an opportunity to dialogue with the Peoria Tribe and create a better way forward. Instead they adopted a political posture and now we're stuck arguing over Cheet-oh Face Soldiers and mustelids. It's a shame.