America’s Favorite Out of State Football Teams

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Does anyone else find it strange the Illinois' favorite out of state NCAA team is Western Michigan?? :noidea:

Does anyone else find it strange the Illinois' favorite out of state NCAA team is Western Michigan?? :noidea:

That can’t be right. There are probably as many Iowa and Nebraska fans in Moline alone as there are WMU fans in the entire state.

There has to be something wrong with the data they’re using. They’re taking it from Google shopping trends. Maybe some schools aren’t tracking on that basis. Or is there some big high school that uses the same logo as WMU and bought a shirt for all their students and parents or something. Doesn’t make sense.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Yeah - and Tulane in Indiana and Kentucky. Makes no sense...

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
America’s Favorite Out of State Football Teams

Found this pretty interesting. Bears the most popular Midwest NFL team. Illinois somehow the most favorite NCAA football out of state team in Arizona.
I don't doubt the Illini in AZ thing at all. I mean, I'm in AZ and I can tell you there are a TON of Illinoisans here. I can't go a day without wearing some sort of Illini gear here without hearing a comment or an "I-L-L!".

I don't doubt the Illini in AZ thing at all. I mean, I'm in AZ and I can tell you there are a TON of Illinoisans here. I can't go a day without wearing some sort of Illini gear here without hearing a comment or an "I-L-L!".
Also feel like half the people who've bothered to put their location on here have it somewhere in Arizona.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Also feel like half the people who've bothered to put their location on here have it somewhere in Arizona.
Ha ha. It's like Chicago West out here, but with way better weather and less corruption. We even have Portillo's, Giordano's, and Lou Malnati's.

Interesting map, and glad to hear about Arizona! I would have to think Illinois' would actually be Notre Dame, with Iowa or Missouri in second? I actually did a very involved Excel spreadsheet (using estimated data, of course, based on several polls I could find) where I broke down Illinois into population segments and estimated what percent of each region (Chicagoland, Northern IL, Central IL, etc.) even had a favorite team for NCAAF and then the estimated fan breakdown ... here's what I came up with statewide:

42.29% Illinois
16.07% Notre Dame
3.94% Iowa
3.75% Missouri
3.69% Northern Illinois
3.44% Wisconsin
2.96% Michigan
2.81% Northwestern
2.72% Indiana
2.04% Michigan State
.94% Kentucky
15.36% Other

Chicagoland was:

28.38% Illinois
22.08% Notre Dame
4.90% Northwestern
4.14% Northern Illinois
3.83% Wisconsin
3.69% Michigan
3.69% Indiana
3.56% Michigan State
3.50% Iowa
22.24% Other

I tried to include factors such as living alumni in the area/state, fan polls I could find and then combining Common Census and NYT Zip Code Map data. :p