Arizona 90, Illinois 69 POSTGAME

Considering the patterns that seem troubling and why BU doesn't seem to have things rolling at this point.

I think one pattern that has emerged enough times in the BU Illinois era is the competitive halftime score, only for the wheels to come off sometime in the second half. Not where things should be of course, but to my memory (correct me if I'm wrong) a small step towards a better level of play and expectations than a previous coaching staff led by an amiable shaven-domed guy who played groceball, where the Illini would take the court at places like Indiana, and as soon as the clock started down from 40:00 after the tipoff the score disparity would continue to increase until by halftime we were in a 20 point hole. Sure basketball would be played, guys would run back and forth and take shots, but by halftime we would have around a 20 point deficit. We would lose a bunch of games until there was a late season rally where we could possibly get in the tourney if we could just beat Rutgers.

Maybe there are some similarities to BU in there. The whole thing was burned down last season with the tough schedule and there were some late moral victories against Maryland and Michigan State, etc.

But my overall impression is that the BU teams have been decidedly more competitive in the first half, only to eventually lose, whereas the Groce teams had more of another blowout type feel right out of the gate.

So what about the question "can BU coach?". Is he good or consistently going to be outcoached when it matters? It's concerning how easy it looked for Sean Miller to blow the doors off with his "McDonald's high school team".
In my opinion the competitive first halves (and some complete games) tell the tale. The first halves where the Illini are tied or leading at halftime (eg at Purdue, etc.) and everything seems to be going right show that BU's schemes are adequate and he knows what needs to be done and what he's trying to get the team to do.

So why can't the team continue to execute it through the second half? By the end of his season with OkSt the team seemed to make it to the final buzzer. (albeit losing to Michigan). In a general sense (and obvious statement) it seems like BU needs to have the horses to execute his gameplans for two halves, whether that's in terms of having a deep/talented bench along with adequate starters, or whether it's just having a super talented starting 5.
So I believe that for strategy and tactics/in game coaching BU is an adequate coach. His coaching chops are adequate. He may not be the best, but he is not far inferior to others where he could never run a successful program. So it seems like his success in righting the Illini ship will hinge largely on his recruiting. Can he stack enough talent at every position to execute his gameplans for two halves.

One other question that is interesting is will BU ever have a good defense, as a lot of the blame for the 90-69 score disparity was on terrible defense. While that wouldn't have happened if the Illini had a staunch defense full of stoppers, it could also be attributed to the offense going cold for six minutes. If the offense keeps scoring, that final score disparity is whittled down a lot. (Doesn't excuse nonexistent defense of course.)

I had been against this, but now it seems like we have 1 guy who can come off the bench and contribute (Griffin). I would consider letting Feliz come off the bench as well. Would give some more balanced lineups.

I don't think you can NOT start Feliz with the way he's been playing.

We have missed far too many lay ups. Ayo, in particular, has underperformed so far this year. This team operates so timidly...it’s infuriating. Seemed like Frazier was the only guard who came to make a name for himself, although Dre showed himself later. I think we could have won this game if everyone came to play, but sadly we didn’t...

Frazier got 8 of his 14 points in the first 3 minutes 20 seconds. He scored 12 of his 14 points in the first 11 minutes 5 seconds of the game. That means he only scored 2 points in the last 28 minutes 55 seconds. Sure he came out hot but they put Mannion on him and he went ice cold after that.

at least we didn't have to listen to bill walton pontifications. arizona was just a hell of lot better. time to move on to cupcake city.

Trent missed alot of defensive assignment (que last play of the half). He has to offset his lack of defensive abilities by scoring. Not going to panic after a loss like that. Just got out toughed the last 10 minutes.

I would like to see this team take on more of a silent killer mode then all the barking they seem to do out there. Get hyped on a 10-0 run not back to back threes. That's the Illinois I'm use too!

Its coming!!! Sonner then later I hope!

Side note: This better be the best practice week of the year.

at least we didn't have to listen to bill walton pontifications. arizona was just a hell of lot better. time to move on to cupcake city.
bill walton.jpg

BU, said too much dribbling and poor spacing and too many TO,s. Why do guys dribble too much at times. Passing lanes aren't open (defense), can't get a shot off from the offense ur running so you try to create. Why the spacing was so bad i don't know that's something they work on every day in practice. So many to's trying to go to the low post this year. I've seen some very bad passes and decisions on when to try the entry the first 3 games.
You know there would be times i would scrap the half court offense they run and isolate GB or Kofi in the post. GB, is very tough to stop down there and Kofi is a ton. Of course, when they bring help you have to be able to make some shots.

BU, said too much dribbling and poor spacing and too many TO,s. Why do guys dribble too much at times. Passing lanes aren't open (defense), can't get a shot off from the offense ur running so you try to create. Why the spacing was so bad i don't know that's something they work on every day in practice. So many to's trying to go to the low post this year. I've seen some very bad passes and decisions on when to try the entry the first 3 games.
You know there would be times i would scrap the half court offense they run and isolate GB or Kofi in the post. GB, is very tough to stop down there and Kofi is a ton. Of course, when they bring help you have to be able to make some shots.
The problem with this approach is that neither one of them seems able to pass out of a double-team. Passes to the post become turnovers. Then again, lots of things become turnovers with this team.

I don't think so concerning GB, TRUF. He was excellent in the post last year. Do i remember him having trouble with the double teams at times, yes, but overall pretty good. Haven't seen enough of Kofi in that situation but i do agree with others that there ahve been times he needs to be stronger with the ball right when the entry comes.

The problem with this approach is that neither one of them seems able to pass out of a double-team. Passes to the post become turnovers. Then again, lots of things become turnovers with this team.
Like how Illinois continues to drive the ball down the lane straight into multiple set defenders and turn the ball over instead of passing it out to find a better shot.

I don't think you can NOT start Feliz with the way he's been playing.
I think you can. Other than score, what does he do on the court? Facilitate? Defense? Run offense? Low turnovers?
I think Feliz is a great off the bench guy that can score in bursts when starters are resting.
After 3 games this team is averaging over 20 turnovers a game with 3 guards on the floor. Not to say Ayo or Trent are doing any better, but Feliz was very useful coming in with the second wave.
All in all, i’ve been very disappointed and underwhelmed by the guard play so far this year. They only seem to be focused on scoring.
Last night was a good example of good guard play vs. bad guard play. The Zona guards were spreading the ball around, making great extra passes, seeing the entire half court, and taking/creating shots when given. When you try to defend guards like that, you don’t know what they’re going to do because they’re balanced and multidimensional. Ayo, Trent, and Dre did nothing to put teammates in good positions to get easy shots, the ball stuck too much, especially with Dre. They don’t look to make any extra passes, and too many times throw up an ill advised three instead of create. All that could be forgiven if they played tough defense, but they are the weak link to our defense. Ayo still doesn’t have lateral quickness, and Trent/Dre are undisciplined in the zone. Too many times they fall for fakes, or get blown by.
I know this isn’t what coach has been preaching in practice, and i could see last night after the game he was pretty frustrated.
this team has enough tools to be a +20 win team, but some of these guys need to be reminded of some fundamentals.

Tevian needs to take ownership of this

I really hope I am wrong, but Tev seems like that guy that we all know who from time to time, can't seem to get out of his own way in order to succeed. I really hope this kid gets it together...2 years in a row, seem like a logical choice for you know what else if it continues.

The only thing I would like is for BU to take a closer look at AZ's D. And maybe adopt it.

Funny thing is the announcer last night referenced Miller adopting and instituting a pack line defense....doesn't someone else supposedly play this?

https://www.basketballforcoaches.com/pack-line-defense/

Maybe they play it better? Maybe they call it the PAC line which is why we are not so good at it...we would be the B1G line?

7 turnovers!

From pushing tempo, handling the ball against pressure more than the others, and for being aggressive against the bigs....yes it's alot, but at least he was forcing the action. He needs to easily start imo!

Some of my observations:
1. BU will make adjustments. Assume he knows better how to do this than anyone posting on here. It is too early to be drawing any conclusions about where this team is going to end up.
2. I am surprised that Kofi is not fouling more. I would have never guessed that he could play as many minutes without racking up more fouls. This has resulted in more Kofi and Giorgi together than I anticipated was possible. I think if I were BU I would try starting both but pulling one at the first media TO and alternating after that. Would be good to have Tev back or for Kip or BBV to really step up in my scenario.
3. With Kofi and GB on the floor at the same time for less than 10 minutes a game in my plan, I think I would go back and try a much more aggressive defense, at least for the rest of non-conf. We need to generate more TOs. I think the team will feed off that and be more aggressive overall. We have the horses to do it. If Kofi is only playing about 25 minutes, he will be able to get up and down the floor and be the rebounder and rim protector we need (playing too many minutes took its toll in the second half last night and at GCU). The aggressive D is also a lot more fun to watch even if we give up some back door cuts. Either we do that or try a real pack line defense rather than a semi-version we are playing now. If we are not going to cause a lot of TOs, would rather we make it much more difficult to penetrate than our current version of D.
4. Also like the idea of only two of Ayo, Trent and Feliz on the court at a time. Don't care if you start all three but alternate with two during most of the game would work better. Would try to figure out who each set of two guards works best with and rotate accordingly.
I am sure BU has considered all the above. He is getting the big bucks to make the hard decisions. I have faith he will figure it out.

Thought I'd chime in. I was at the game. And Mannion impressed me mightily. But remember Ayo started the game with a blast to the basket that was not allowed due to the clock not functioning. All during the night it seemed that niggling little calls kept the Illini out of getting into rhythm. When Ayo started to guard Nico, it slowed him down. Ayo while not having his best game, is a BIG time talent. Make no mistake. I think you will see this as the season plays out. Further, I think this team is a month from meshing into being a monster. I only wish TJ was available because he adds much to this team. My thoughts.

Ayo, did slow Manion some. My recollection is he didn't guard him until the 2nd half. Didn't shut him down but played him better than TF and Feliz. The good news is Nicholls beat Pitt who beat FSU who beat Florida. I know most don't care this early but i live Illini BB so...............................