Arizona 90, Illinois 69 POSTGAME

I love it. A win would’ve been awesome but this team has problems. Now they’re going home pissed and ready to work.

The defense has big question marks but this can be a top 10 offense if they stop the silly turnovers. I think they will.

Take care of the cupcakes and be ready to make a statement to the rest of the B1G @Maryland.

Deleted member 652751

D
I get so sick of reading after every loss, "outcoached." Anyone, please tell me where we got outcoahced?! I will give you out of bounds, I still can't understnad why we can't get the ball in bounds?
Well, for one thing, they outscored us by 20 in the 2nd half and we lost by 21. We never seem to have a gameplan to make it difficult for the other team to score. We have to hope we shoot lights out in both halves just to stay close. Obviously, that happens very rarely.

This was a game we needed to play. Some good things. We have good individuals. Remains to be seen if we will be a good team. Without Tevian depth is a problem. Turnovers and defense must be corrected. Does Brad run the right offensive and defensive systems? Does he get the most out of the talent we have? We will know better in March.
I agree with you 100%. This was a game that we had to see early. There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting beat @ Arizona. They're going to hammer a few teams at home. Just learn and get better from it.

This was a game we needed to play. Some good things. We have good individuals. Remains to be seen if we will be a good team. Without Tevian depth is a problem. Turnovers and defense must be corrected. Does Brad run the right offensive and defensive systems? Does he get the most out of the talent we have? We will know better in March.
Tevian needs to take ownership of this! This should have been his game and road trip, yet he tanked the start to the season. I want him to be the next Luther Head or Leron Black, team rules offender that validates a second or third chance.

I get so sick of reading after every loss, "outcoached." Anyone, please tell me where we got outcoahced?! I will give you out of bounds, I still can't understnad why we can't get the ball in bounds?

Bud it’s year three, we have multiple players regressing before our eyes, and still looking lost in this “system”

Sadly we saw the same issues tonight that we’ve seen the first two games of the season. Namely substandard defense, scoring droughts, way too many turnovers, and kinda falling apart the last 10 minutes of games. The difference being that we weren’t playing a nobody school tonight. Unless thee issues are addressed, it’s gonna be another long season.

Because talent doesn't take that long to excel...we still are outranked substantially against Power 5 teams...Ayo and Kofi are our highest ranked guys, and Kofi has been playing ball what 4 years...Mannion has been coached for 18, Nnaji is a stud and will be drafted very high next year.

We had Giorgi who played like a top 50ish freshman last year and Trent who had also outplayed his ranking to date. Their roster isn’t 21 points better than ours period.

Tevian needs to take ownership of this! This should have been his game and road trip, yet he tanked the start to the season. I want him to be the next Luther Head or Leron Black, team rules offender that validates a second or third chance.
If he screws up one more time he’s out. 3 strikes

Everyone needs to relax, I honestly believe that Arizona is a top ten team by end of the year. That’s a tough turn around from playing on Friday. Looked great in the first half, second half they looked rough. We had Trent in the first half, not sure why we didn’t in the second, need his offense to win games this year.

It’s simple. Giorgi isn’t contributing because he is out of place with the addition of Kofi. We haven’t figured out how to score as a team (5 players with double digits) although we’re capable of it. Ayo hasn’t lost his game, but he hasn’t been aggressive like he was his freshman year due to not having to be because of our scoring options. The pick/pass run around thing the offense is doing is easily scouted and defended and we have don’t have a 1 on 1 player (Carmelo Anthony esque) to make up for it. We have the talent, just not a fluid offense. As far as defense, the pressure defense from last year, even though we gave up baskets, fared better and at least caused turnovers, this year, no turnovers and teams still get to the basket.

Deleted member 652751

D
More evidence. Why????

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 11.36.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-10 at 11.36.46 PM.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 563
Because talent doesn't take that long to excel...we still are outranked substantially against Power 5 teams...Ayo and Kofi are our highest ranked guys, and Kofi has been playing ball what 4 years...Mannion has been coached for 18, Nnaji is a stud and will be drafted very high next year.

Don’t forget we only had 1 day to prep against these guys. They’re definitely very good, but I think they’ll take their lumps. Especially as teams figure out their tendencies and they get scouted harder.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
BU radio post game interview.....

Too many TO's by guards
too much dribbling..." we hit every nail on the floor dribbling tonight "
spacing on offense was bad
passing was bad
faced top 15 team on the road
a lot of film to watch
1 rebound for GB
not enough looks for Kofi
a lot of praise for Mannion

It’s simple. Giorgi isn’t contributing because he is out of place with the addition of Kofi. We haven’t figured out how to score as a team (5 players with double digits) although we’re capable of it. Ayo hasn’t lost his game, but he hasn’t been aggressive like he was his freshman year due to not having to be because of our scoring options. The pick/pass run around thing the offense is doing is easily scouted and defended and we have don’t have a 1 on 1 player (Carmelo Anthony esque) to make up for it. We have the talent, just not a fluid offense. As far as defense, the pressure defense from last year, even though we gave up baskets, fared better and at least caused turnovers, this year, no turnovers and teams still get to the basket.
I may have had one too many shots, I may be off on a point or teo, but this isn’t hard to see and figure out what’s wrong.

IllFanInMi

I

Sometimes, maybe oftentimes, it’s the eye test. It’s a coaches philosophy, style, systems, practices, meetings, putting your talent in the best spot, the DEMANDS on and off the court, substitutions, how a coach talks to players in game, good and bad. It’s not always, obvious strategical moves and counter moves.

I am a diehard fan like all of you here, I just don’t see a BU team in the same class as those coaching successful programs, legendary coaches, or otherwise.

Honestly, I feel BU is fighting to figure out his own identity. He was rigid and firm in his systems, but seems to be adjusting to this level of competition. I feel his teams display that grey area of uncertainty. Parts are better than the sum.

Bad games, sloppy play, unpreparedness, off nights, etc... happen to every team, but the well coached teams don’t go through them nearly as frequently as a BU team. He’s got the ball rolling in the right direction, talent and roster balance is as good as it’s been here in a while. Something just not passing the test, I hope it comes together soon.

TheAngryBavarian

Charleston/Collinsville
Pardon my lack of understanding, but I find myself confused by the rampant pessimism in this thread. We played a very good (best $ can buy) team close for 3/4 of the game. Were there some screw-ups, both from the players and Coach Underwood, yes, of course; to deny that would be idiotic. This has the potential to be the best team since I've been seriously watching Illinois basketball (2014-15, I'm young compared to most of you all. Those of you who were around for that glorious period between 1986 and 2007 probably have more reason to complain than me), and that performance in the 1st half proved it.

There's room to grow (quite a bit of it), but this will team will go dancing. Bank on it. I'll eat my crow come March if I'm wrong.

Edit: These recent posts have turned more optimistic. Sorry if I'm being a bit preachy.

Simply horrible defense, again. ALL 3 teams have shot 40% or better from 3 against IL. The only guy who played a shred of defense on Manion was, Ayo, and got it 3 times himself around middle of second half. The way we defended the high ball screen was really bad. Couple times second half our big man was not close to screener leaving our guard out to dry. How bout' this a quick double with some pressure and then KC and GB go back to their man. That's what Arizona did and it worked quite well. Nothing new of course. The zone was awful!
Do you see how hard Illini had to work for good shots on offense. The one and 2 cutters just went through the motions after that we got a guard on the wing more toward hash with nothing to do with the ball, because 2 defenders are there. Got frustrated some 2nd half because they couldn't get a good look. I would, too. Could not get the ball to the post tonight and had 22 freakin' to's. A really bad second half performance that was embarrassing getting blown out.

Can we hire weber to just coach defense for us? It’s been a while since I’ve seen us get a stop on defense that’s wasn’t caused by the other team taking a bad shot

Deleted member 652751

D
Pardon my lack of understanding, but I find myself confused by the rampant pessimism in this thread. We played a very good (best $ can buy) team close for 3/4 of the game. Were there some screw-ups, both from the players and Coach Underwood, yes, of course; to deny that would be idiotic. This has the potential to be the best team since I've been seriously watching Illinois basketball (2014-15, I'm young compared to most of you all. Those of you who were around for that glorious period between 1986 and 2007 probably have more reason to complain than me), and that performance in the 1st half proved it.

There's room to grow, but this will team will go dancing. Bank on it. I'll eat my crow come March if I'm wrong.
I think this explains the pessimism you are seeing. Before 2007 or so, IL was perennially ranked to begin seasons, beat inferior opponents by halftime, and played other top twenty teams tough. We are going on year 12 of the poorest stretch of IL basketball that most of us have seen in 50 years.

Didn’t realize Mannion was as highly rated until now. #7 on NBADraft.net and I believe it after tonight. Just smooth. Hearing Nash comparisons, but thinking he may be Ricky Rubio or Jason Williams.

I miss the havoc D. And are we even running the offense we did last year?

Giorgi has become a nonentity. Three shots and 1 rebound in 22 minutes. Other than the 3 pointer he hit at the start and fouls, I can’t remember anything he did. And I don’t see how it will work. He isn’t going to take anyone off the dribble so he spends most of his time just floating outside. Hope I’m wrong and they figure it out.

There's room to grow (quite a bit of it), but this will team will go dancing. Bank on it. I'll eat my crow come March if I'm wrong.

Edit: These recent posts have turned more optimistic. Sorry if I'm being a bit preachy.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but my reason for pessimism is that this is year 3 of BU and we’re seeing the same issues of scoring droughts, TO’s and bad defense. Through the first 3 games of the season there’s been no reason to assume the team has turned a corner. There hasn’t been any tangible on court proof that the team is much better than the last two years.