Astros' Jeff Luhnow, AJ Hinch fired for sign stealing

ESPN

general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch were fired by owner Jim Crane on Monday after Major League Baseball's announcement of discipline following the sign-stealing scandal.

A league investigation confirmed the Astros had cheated by using a camera-based sign-stealing system during the regular season and playoffs of their World Series-winning 2017 season.

Luhnow and Hinch were suspended for the 2020 season, but Crane said the team wanted to go beyond that ruling.

"Neither one of them started this, but neither one of them did anything about it," Crane said.

Interesting.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
If the Red Sox had any integrity they'd fire Cora before the MLB releases it's punishment, but it wont happen.
Honestly, I would bet that would cost the Red Sox a bunch of money, since they would not yet have "cause". Though, I have not followed this very closely, maybe they already do.

The other shoe drops.

Alex Cora out as Red Sox manager following sign-stealing scandals

Alex Cora, who won the World Series in 2018 in his debut season as manager of the Boston Red Sox but has been linked this offseason to two sign-stealing schemes, has mutually agreed to part ways with the team.

Cora, 44, led the Red Sox past the Los Angeles Dodgers in five games in 2018, one year after he won the World Series as the Astros' bench coach.

He is awaiting discipline from MLB for his role in a sign-stealing scheme by the Astros and is still under investigation for a different sign-stealing scheme that is said to have occurred with the Red Sox in 2018.

In MLB's findings on Houston announced Monday, Cora is described by commissioner Rob Manfred as being "involved in developing both the banging scheme and utilizing the replay review room to decode and transmit signs. Cora participated in both schemes, and through his active participation, implicitly condoned the players' conduct."

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Beltran out as Mets manager. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/carlos-beltran-steps-down-mets-manager.html

COO Jeff Wilpon and general manager Brodie Van Wagenen issued the following statement:

We met with Carlos last night and again this morning and agreed to mutually part ways. This was not an easy decision. Considering the circumstances, it became clear to all parties that it was not in anyone’s best interest for Carlos to move forward as Manager of the New York Mets. We believe that Carlos was honest and forthcoming with us. We are confident that this will not be the final chapter in his baseball career. We remain excited about the talent on this team and are committed to reaching our goals of winning now and in the future.

the national

the Front Range
Beltran out as Mets manager. https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/01/carlos-beltran-steps-down-mets-manager.html

COO Jeff Wilpon and general manager Brodie Van Wagenen issued the following statement:
I was about to post the same thing. Veterans statement doesn’t so good. I’m curious how deep his involvement goes.

"Over my 20 years in the game, I’ve always taken pride in being a leader and doing things the right way, and in this situation, I failed. As a veteran player on the team, I should’ve recognized the severity of the issue and truly regret the actions that were taken. I am a man of faith and integrity and what took place did not demonstrate those characteristics that are so very important to me and my family. I'm very sorry. It’s not who I am as a father, a husband, a teammate and as an educator. The Mets organization and I mutually agreed to part ways, moving forward for the greater good with no further distractions. I hope that at some point in time, I’ll have the opportunity to return to this game that I love so”

I’ve always taken pride in being a leader and doing things the right way, and in this situation, I failed. As a veteran player on the team, I should’ve recognized the severity of the issue and truly regret the actions that were taken. I am a man of faith and integrity and what took place did not demonstrate those characteristics that are so very important to me and my family. I'm very sorry. It’s not who I am as a father, a husband, a teammate and as an educator.
The evidence would suggest that he misjudged himself as a man of integrity. He's the guy who knowingly cheated at the highest level of the game, right? Or has that not been made official, yet?

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Well we all know Jim Crane is a complete !!!-hat after that disaster of a press conference the other day and the Astros players aren't any better. It takes a special level of stupid to make the situation even worse than it was. Gotta believe Manfred's handling of this will lead to his undoing as well. Hope the Astros trainer is ready for a long summer of treating rib and butt contusions for all the drilling their hitters are going to take. I can see opposing fans bringing trash cans to the park and beating on them when the Astros are hitting.

Well we all know Jim Crane is a complete !!!-hat after that disaster of a press conference the other day and the Astros players aren't any better. It takes a special level of stupid to make the situation even worse than it was. Gotta believe Manfred's handling of this will lead to his undoing as well. Hope the Astros trainer is ready for a long summer of treating rib and butt contusions for all the drilling their hitters are going to take. I can see opposing fans bringing trash cans to the park and beating on them when the Astros are hitting.
Betting there is a strict "no outside garbage cans allowed" rule in force this year. Tough to sneak one of those thru security...

It may be more than one year. Of course teams are not going to plunk batters indiscriminately. It would have to make sense. Inning, score, base runners and outs will determine what happens.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Wonder if the other players could force the union to do something? Or maybe a better way of putting it would be this: would the union back the Astros at the expense of all the other angry players?

Wonder if the other players could force the union to do something? Or maybe a better way of putting it would be this: would the union back the Astros at the expense of all the other angry players?

Probably why only non-union people were suspended by Manfraud.

Look at all the stuff the NFL went through with Brady and deflategate

The Union certainly did that during the steroid scandal, fought for those getting disciplined for steroids at the expense of players who wanted to stay clean.