Austin Clark story, LA Times

ILLINIShox24

Orange Krush '04 & '05
So even as a graduate assistant, he needs other students to take his tests and gets them paid for by the DC. Wow.

So what are the odds that Clark is let go? Knowing that they're already a coach short, plus carrying Miles at a fairly important coaching position puts Illinois in a bad spot if he is let go. Lovie's failure to find at worst another warm-boded yes man to take that last assistant spot is going to put even more strain on this coaching staff.

It's a shame. I really do want to see Lovie succeed here. His inability to find even average assistant coaches at multiple positions is troubling, and will be his downfall.

Man if USC was paying for grad assistants to have others take their class think about what the players must be getting?!?

Seems to be based on hearsay and hopefully no paper trails so this blows over. Austin is one of our best young coaches and top recruiters - we can not afford to have this rug pulled from under us now - that would be a dagger. Some other school will pick him up if we do let him go - I’d prefer to keep him around and let Lovie “mentor him straight”

Deleted member 649710

D
This is just one more example of how many big boy sports programs operate. Don’t be naive.

Is it a shock that all these USC grad transfers still have 2 years of eligibility?
I've wondered the same thing, how do you play football and graduate early from any respectable University?

If the team was paying the way for the players, it seems to have partially backfired with the grad transfers.

Anymore, being able to graduate a year early is not all that difficult. Especially if you are not aiming for a difficult degree. Most high schools have dual-credit or AP classes. Both of my sons started college with over a semester's worth of gen ed credits and they weren't even trying.

Deleted member 656517

D
Nothing will come out of this. The NCAA always protects their blue bloods.

and punish schools like us. "Since he is not at USC anymore and at Illinois it is only fair we punish Illinois for this."

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
If they enroll in the Spring before their freshman year and take classes during the summer, it's not hard to see how they graduate early.

If they enroll in the Spring before their freshman year and take classes during the summer, it's not hard to see how they graduate early.
I'm sure it's possible. But I didn't know a single person who graduated early in college. Why the hell are so many people on the USC football team doing it? How many Illinois players graduate in 3 years?

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I'm sure it's possible. But I didn't know a single person who graduated early in college. Why the hell are so many people on the USC football team doing it? How many Illinois players graduate in 3 years?
My niece just graduated in 3 years from U of I, with a major change after freshman year. Athletes stay for summer school, and was mentioned before, could start Spring, in what would be their Sr. year of high school. Toss in some AP credit, and viola.

edit: I am not implying that all of these 3 year grads are legit, just that it is reasonable.

Pretty much a he said issue. He has no proof and sounds like there might be some sour grapes about something there.

Pretty much a he said issue. He has no proof and sounds like there might be some sour grapes about something there.
Could be, but there is something going on. In less than a year, Illinois has changed Clark's official bio from..."master’s degree in communication management from USC".... to …. "pursuing a master’s degree in communication management".... to …."attended graduate school at USC." Either USC is back tracking on the degree that they awarded him or Illinois didn't verify his credentials when he was hired or Illinois knew he didn't have the degree but listed it in his bio anyway.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
Could be, but there is something going on. In less than a year, Illinois has changed Clark's official bio from..."master’s degree in communication management from USC".... to …. "pursuing a master’s degree in communication management".... to …."attended graduate school at USC." Either USC is back tracking on the degree that they awarded him or Illinois didn't verify his credentials when he was hired or Illinois knew he didn't have the degree but listed it in his bio anyway.

Interesting bit of sleuthing you did there. It very well could be related.