Ayo Dosunmu All-Big Ten First Team, Kofi Cockburn B1G Freshman of the Year

Congrats to Ayo, for getting an award given to some that don't take chances and end up/pick a spot where success is almost guaranteed these days. Ayo chose his path, paved the way and cruised to an award justly deserved. Congrats Ayo. Thank you for a tremendous season.

Congrats to Kofi for picking a school, many thought had no chance against other teams recruiting him, a just award for a kind, thoughful, energetic willing to learn man-child....well done Kofi, every other mobile big should want to come here now after seeing you get FOY and 3rd B1G!!!

If Kofi doesnt make it basketball, he could use that voice and body to be the bad guy in an action movie. He's got quite the voice.

sacraig

The desert
If Kofi doesnt make it basketball, he could use that voice and body to be the bad guy in an action movie. He's got quite the voice.

giphy.gif

ILLINI IN NE

Omaha,Ne.
Ayo, thanks for staying put to take care of unfinished business. You are the best one man fast break since the original, and the best finisher I have ever seen in an Illinois jersey.

Kofi, you have far exceeded my expectations. You have been solid on offense and defense from game one and I can't wait to watch you play your 5th year of basketball next season.

Congrats to both of you and thanks for coming to Illinois.

I have been an avid fan since having student season tickets from '81 thru '84, but I have no problem with Ayo being named Second Team by some. If the choice is between him and Daniel Oturu it's a tough call. We are fortunate to have Ayo, but there is plenty of other greatness out there, too.

Last edited:
Upsets me. He should have been unanimous both team for many reasons. But I've had many IPA's, don't want to rant. I'll leave that up to you guys.
Ayo to me is like so many others in front of him. Warriors. Frank. Deron. Dee. Brian Johnson and Luke( I hope they have son's that are ready soon). Kiwanee, Kendall, Nick, amd Kenny to name a few, guys that are absolute winners on and off the court.

And DMF. He's in another category because he is Frank's son. Love that kid.

Been a while since we had a guy who could get to the line like Ayo. So many killer traits, but he can finish like a pro.

Congrats to Ayo, for getting an award given to some that don't take chances and end up/pick a spot where success is almost guaranteed these days. Ayo chose his path, paved the way and cruised to an award justly deserved. Congrats Ayo. Thank you for a tremendous season.

Congrats to Kofi for picking a school, many thought had no chance against other teams recruiting him, a just award for a kind, thoughful, energetic willing to learn man-child....well done Kofi, every other mobile big should want to come here now after seeing you get FOY and 3rd B1G!!!
Thanks Ayo for leading the turnaround season and for Kofi too. You guys were fantastic to watch all year and can't wait to watch you in the upcoming Tourneys. Go Illini!!!

Upsets me. He should have been unanimous both team for many reasons. But I've had many IPA's, don't want to rant. I'll leave that up to you guys.
I agree. B1G coaches aren't exactly consistent. You name Kofi FOY, but put Jackson-Davis on the 3rd team All B1G and leave Kofi off...dumb.

I have been an avid fan since having student season tickets from '81 thru '84, but I have no problem with Ayo being named Second Team by some. If the choice is between him and Daniel Oturu it's a tough call. We are fortunate to have Ayo, but there is plenty of other greatness out there, too.
It wasn't between Ayo and Oturo. The media chose Ayo while the coaches went with Cowan.

Had a tough time predicting Ayo to be a unanimous pick over Cowan but I was giving Winston an auto spot. IMHO, neither Cowan nor Ayo really separated from the other. Cowan was a much better perimeter shooter with a bit better handle while Ayo was a better mid range shooter and better at the rim. Both were tough in the clutch. Could not go wrong with either but of course I like Ayo and sure would love to see him together with this team for one more season. However, that would be shocking unless the NBA wants him to prove he can shoot better from the perimeter after another year of college work. Who knows for certain? Kofi, OTOH, has a lot of work to do. Not that he will not get there, but he is not yet ready for an NBA team to use a draft choice on him. If he can improve his ability to hold onto the ball in traffic and become a solid jump shooter inside 15 ft., he may be a lottery pick...but much work to do.

Here's a look at the teams whose coaches didn't vote for Ayo First Team All-B1G.

ESolJKvXgAAcVHU
This means that the coach of the highest ranked team this year, Maryland, who played us twice, voted for Ayo. I also respect that the Indiana coach, who experienced Ayo’s ability to finish a week ago Sunday, in a one point loss, voted for Ayo despite the bitterness of our rivalry. (Which, interestingly, similar evidence Iowa’s coach experienced yesterday, but did not reach the same conclusion) I ascribe the votes of Collins at NU and Howard at Michigan in part, perhaps subconsciously, perhaps not, to their particular need to recruit successfully in Chicago, and not promote Illini Chicagoland recruitment momentum. Izzo played guard in college and MSU handled us fairly easily, so I don’t question his judgment based on the evidence he viewed. I expect Ayo will persuade some of these doubters very soon.

Congrats to the guys! Incredible season for both of them.
But isn't it a little off that we didn't get one player on the all defense team? Monte? Trent? Kofi?