Ayo Dosunmu declares for NBA Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
That, like Kofi, wasn't a message of we'll see what I can do. That was, I'm 100% in. Best of luck to Ayo, will be a lifelong fan, but time for BU and Co to keep the train moving forward.
He's maintaining eligibility and hasn't even hired an agent, but you say he's 100% in. I'm not sure you understand what "100% in" means?

dish3

Seattle
I would guess Ayo goes too, but seems like it would be foolish to declare for the draft with a statement that suggests the possibility of returning--that would likely increase the perception of GMs that there is a good reason for that player to stay in school... So 100% in is the only way to declare...
The lack of hiring an agent seems slightly reassuring for a possible return, but I wonder what the fee is for an agent just to be a part of declaring and marketing the player to NBA GMs, and then pausing when the kid returns to NCAA... it's gotta still be pretty significant, so it may not make sense to invest in that right now if you don't even know whether the league is going to start in the fall.

I totally agree with you that maintaining your eligibility and not hiring an agent is not 100% BUT I am pretty sure Ayo himself said he is 100% in during his announcement.
I took it more as he is LOCKED IN. As in his sole objective right now is to prove himself to GMs and get drafted. He's not worried about what to do if he doesn't get good feedback, because in his mind that won't happen. He is 100% confident in his ability, but we shouldn't interpret 100% confidence as a 100% chance of leaving

He's maintaining eligibility and hasn't even hired an agent, but you say he's 100% in. I'm not sure you understand what "100% in" means?
Yes, I was referencing his words. Like people are saying, 100% in could turn into 100% in a heartbeat. They have to move forward like they are both 100% gone or they'll be stuck.

Miller will probably wait to see what Ayo does by the 26th.

Just wanted to share an interview I saw with Sam Vecenie of The Athletic. He’s a very respected basketball writer and he has a pretty in-depth analysis of Ayo’s game and his draft stock. It’s a Daily Illini article so it’s free to all.

https://dailyillini.com/sports/2020...enie-gives-draft-projections-for-ayo-dosunmu/
Difference in salary between the 18th pick and the 45th pick of NBA draft is approx $10 million for 4 year contract 2 year guarantee vrs 1.5 million for a 2 year contract and 1 year guarantee generally.

Reality has a way of changing things. If he hears he won't be drafted. They will make the smart decision and come back.

The uncertain reality is whether there will be a college basketball season or an NBA season next year.
Article is SI this morning suggest that is still very much up in the air.

Hopefully this is the new normal Illini hoops. I love to see the talent level that can jump early to the Association.

Exactly what I was thinking. It's good to be a program with freshmen and sophmores going to the NBA.

3DegreeIllini

Chicago,IL
Exactly what I was thinking. It's good to be a program with freshmen and sophmores going to the NBA.

Disagree for reasons I stated in the Kofi thread https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/For...lares-for-nba-draft.25532/page-6#post-1536944

(tl;dr: Texas has had a ton of young players drafted in the last decade and I don’t aspire to be Texas).

unless you’re re-loading with a few of those players in the right positions every year, having freshmen and sophomores leave for a chance at the late second round is much more detrimental to the program than the minor pop of touting a few got players drafted.

What would be mutually beneficial is them staying, having a top 10 team that’s being discussed on ESPN night in and night out, Adam Miller having the chance to develop instead of needing to be a program savior while adjusting to the college game, and a chance to find and groom Kofi’s replacement. I’ll take that over the reputation of players getting drafted as freshmen any day.

of course, I support them doing what’s best for them and their families.

Of course I want Ayo back and if he doesn't get what he is looking for, open arms man.

But, He has to take this opportunity. It can all slip away so fast, pun intended. He gave us everything we could ask for and this March had to be absolutely as devastating for him as it was for us.

On the NBA side, I would absolutely take a chance on this kid. He is a 6-5 guard with a LONG wing span. Open court quickness is off the charts and mid range game is excellent. Thats all pro attributes. He will work on his shot and pros improve their shooting all the time. It happens across the league every year, every offseason, always. He has shown a desire and work ethic to get better and a willingness to lead. Ayo is player and will have an NBA career. Most likely starting next year, might not, and that would be awesome for us, but i would put the odds of him being drafted at 75%.

Also if he is drafted in the second rd he has about a 70% chance of receiving a guaranteed contract, that number jumps up even higher if he goes in the first 1/3 of the second round. Its sorta a myth that players don't receive contracts in the second round most do, and its like 800k rookie year. So...

my favorite Illinois player since Dee. Good luck Ayo, I'll be following you where ever you land.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
If we get Ayo back, great, team is better next year.

If he goes, I will love the time we got from him and thankful he chose us. The staff and the program can then use this to show that top talent can be featured in Illinois, and they can get players into the league.

Of course I want Ayo back and if he doesn't get what he is looking for, open arms man.

But, He has to take this opportunity. It can all slip away so fast, pun intended. He gave us everything we could ask for and this March had to be absolutely as devastating for him as it was for us.

On the NBA side, I would absolutely take a chance on this kid. He is a 6-5 guard with a LONG wing span. Open court quickness is off the charts and mid range game is excellent. Thats all pro attributes. He will work on his shot and pros improve their shooting all the time. It happens across the league every year, every offseason, always. He has shown a desire and work ethic to get better and a willingness to lead. Ayo is player and will have an NBA career. Most likely starting next year, might not, and that would be awesome for us, but i would put the odds of him being drafted at 75%.

Also if he is drafted in the second rd he has about a 70% chance of receiving a guaranteed contract, that number jumps up even higher if he goes in the first 1/3 of the second round. Its sorta a myth that players don't receive contracts in the second round most do, and its like 800k rookie year. So...

my favorite Illinois player since Dee. Good luck Ayo, I'll be following you where ever you land.

What "opportunity" are you suggesting that he has? The opportunity to potentially get drafted in the back end of the second round? 6-5 guards with a long wing span are a dime a dozen now-a-days. I'd take the odds of him getting drafted closer to 25%.

Absolutely love the kid and the potential that he has. But the odds of having a long, sustained NBA career is not as high as a lot of players make it out to be, especially if you're drafted in the second round.

Getting as much publicity as possible, all while improving your game, in his case would be the three point shot should be his focus.

Damian Lillard, Jimmy Butler, Darren Collison, Draymond Green, JJ Reddick, Wesley Matthews, CJ McCollum just to name a few players that decided to stick around all four years. Playing four years in college isn't a death sentence. Give yourself the best opportunity to stick in the league, by developing your game to the fullest.

What "opportunity" are you suggesting that he has? The opportunity to potentially get drafted in the back end of the second round? 6-5 guards with a long wing span are a dime a dozen now-a-days. I'd take the odds of him getting drafted closer to 25%.

Absolutely love the kid and the potential that he has. But the odds of having a long, sustained NBA career is not as high as a lot of players make it out to be, especially if you're drafted in the second round.

Getting as much publicity as possible, all while improving your game, in his case would be the three point shot should be his focus.

Damian Lillard, Jimmy Butler, Darren Collison, Draymond Green, JJ Reddick, Wesley Matthews, CJ McCollum just to name a few players that decided to stick around all four years. Playing four years in college isn't a death sentence. Give yourself the best opportunity to stick in the league, by developing your game to the fullest.
I think i fall somewhere in between his upside is greater coming back and going in the first rd next year but i will root for him and his family they both have conducted themselves with class

Interesting watching that. He said that he thinks he is going to be a first round pick when it is all said and done. Not so sure, could play into the decision later down the road.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
Completely steered clear of talking about Adam Miller's commitment to Illinois

I honestly don't have an issue with that. Adam Miller gets to shine on his own terms. Kofi makes more sense to discuss as he and Ayo just played a year of college ball together and both declared for the draft. I don't think it's that big a deal.

The opportunity of getting paid to play basketball. That's the opportunity.

the odds of any high end college player of having a long, sustained NBA career is not high. The odds of him making nearly as much money as he would with even one or two years of NBA in the first decade of another career is also very low. All I am saying is that if you have a chance to make a million dollars you do go for it, we are all fooling ourselves if we think we would pass up that opportunity. Take any roster, any team and you will find players that developed their games outside of college basketball. You are not a finished product at age 21 or even mid to late 20s for that matter. These guys work their asses off on the pro level to get better. Ayo seems to me to be somebody very willing to work.

If he stays can he get that money later? sure. Could he twist his knee again and blow it out this time and then miss a season and be comprised as an already not locked in 1st rounder? that could happen also.

The league is filled with 1yr, 2yr, 3yr and 4 yr players. I never said it was a death penalty but come on. Draymond, Butler, JJ Redick and the rest of your examples were not 5* recruits, All-Big freshman, 1st team all Big-10 by the end of their sophomore season.

He is a player on the cusp, he has every right and should take a chance. If doesn't work out then we've got a home for him. He has earned this and isn't stretching at all with his hopes.

and, 6-5 with long wingspans are not a dime a dozen, they are however what the NBA wants so that is where they are and Ayo is one of those.

Deleted member 8896

D
The opportunity of getting paid to play basketball. That's the opportunity.

the odds of any high end college player of having a long, sustained NBA career is not high. The odds of him making nearly as much money as he would with even one or two years of NBA in the first decade of another career is also very low. All I am saying is that if you have a chance to make a million dollars you do go for it, we are all fooling ourselves if we think we would pass up that opportunity. Take any roster, any team and you will find players that developed their games outside of college basketball. You are not a finished product at age 21 or even mid to late 20s for that matter. These guys work their asses off on the pro level to get better. Ayo seems to me to be somebody very willing to work.

If he stays can he get that money later? sure. Could he twist his knee again and blow it out this time and then miss a season and be comprised as an already not locked in 1st rounder? that could happen also.

The league is filled with 1yr, 2yr, 3yr and 4 yr players. I never said it was a death penalty but come on. Draymond, Butler, JJ Redick and the rest of your examples were not 5* recruits, All-Big freshman, 1st team all Big-10 by the end of their sophomore season.

He is a player on the cusp, he has every right and should take a chance. If doesn't work out then we've got a home for him. He has earned this and isn't stretching at all with his hopes.

and, 6-5 with long wingspans are not a dime a dozen, they are however what the NBA wants so that is where they are and Ayo is one of those.
Dont think he is what the NBA wants now- who knows about the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.