Ayo Dosunmu has big decision to make about NBA

Dan

Admin
Leading up to Illinois’ anticipated postseason, Ayo Dosunmu felt he was on the verge of something special.

“He was upbeat,” his father, Quam, told the Tribune on Friday. “He was like, ‘The world is about to see who I am.’ He was building up for this. He was really confident.”

the national

the Front Range
Imagining him on the team next year would be crazy. Still a lot of time for things to change but he is an amazing talent. We would be a legit final four team. I am assuming the worst (he goes) and hoping for a surprise.

It really sucks for him as I really think he would have played his way into the first round. Maybe it is as simple as him doing that at the combine? If, by some crazy stretch of the imagination, he would be (insert media darling) the Dee Brown of college basketball in 2021. Many many people would see him as one of the major “faces” of not only Illinois and big ten basketball, but really the entire NCAA.
It would be a tough pill to swallow. He is clearly good enough right now, but his lot has him having to most likely play his way (ala Nunn) on to a roster via the second round of free agency? He could for sure do it, but man if he did come back I think he is lottery next year? I figure he is gone, but I sure hope he and his family really think about this. He is clearly a “trend setter” type of player.

I am just really grateful he took a chance on the Illini. Has to be one of the most significant Illini players ever? Audie Mathews, Eddie Johnson/Mark Smith, Dee Brown are the only other recruits I would put in his air as far as the most important to Illinois all time?

He is and has been a tremendous Illini, and I wish him nothing but the most success possible!

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
Ayo’s legacy is firmly entrenched forever regardless. I, and my Son, will forever be gratephul for bringing us all the way back!!!
Your expectations are too low if you believe we're already all the way back.....

Go look at the earlier post showing our final AP rankings in the 1980's and early 2000's. 8-10 consecutive years in the final AP Top 20 (which inherently means A. we're a perennial 1 to 5 seed in the NCAA tourney, and B. we've made a Final 4 or two) and we'll be fully back. In terms of today's world, think Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, Arizona, Xavier, Kansas and Louisville. Our name needs to be there every year.

Ayo, BU and the 2020 team have successfully taken that first step! Ayo, now go make the decision that's right for you. We've got your back!

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
It really sucks for him as I really think he would have played his way into the first round. Maybe it is as simple as him doing that at the combine? If, by some crazy stretch of the imagination, he would be (insert media darling) the Dee Brown of college basketball in 2021. Many many people would see him as one of the major “faces” of not only Illinois and big ten basketball, but really the entire NCAA.
It would be a tough pill to swallow. He is clearly good enough right now, but his lot has him having to most likely play his way (ala Nunn) on to a roster via the second round of free agency? He could for sure do it, but man if he did come back I think he is lottery next year? I figure he is gone, but I sure hope he and his family really think about this. He is clearly a “trend setter” type of player.

I am just really grateful he took a chance on the Illini. Has to be one of the most significant Illini players ever? Audie Mathews, Eddie Johnson/Mark Smith, Dee Brown are the only other recruits I would put in his air as far as the most important to Illinois all time?

He is and has been a tremendous Illini, and I wish him nothing but the most success possible!
Add Levi Cobb and you've nailed it!

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
I think Ayo's gone... and good for him. I hope he goes in the first round of the draft. If he goes second round, some team is getting a GREAT value. I think it's good for all parties for him to go pro now. For the Illini program, they need to get used to having great players who leave for the NBA after one or two years; that's what the elite programs do. With Ayo gone next year, Curbelo and Miller will have the opportunity to step right in and play, without having to be in Ayo's shadow for a year. What an amazing player Ayo turned out to be. He was special this season, good as advertised coming out of high school.

I think Ayo's gone... and good for him.

He's been special --we've been lucky to have him. Great player, great guy. I'm not enough of a draft expert to know where to slot him, but his 3 point shooting is really suspect for today's NBA. Everything else about him is lottery level, but how many guards go in the first round shooting 30% from the arc? And if he's not a first rounder, should he go anyway? Peaking for the tournament would have helped, but unfortunately, he has to make a decision without that opportunity.

Best of luck to him either way --It was a really special year to enjoy with him and Kofi leading our turn-around.

Ayo helped to re-establish my belief in Illinois basketball. This was such a great season providing so much thrilling enjoyment. It became appointment TV again. The way the season ended was brutal.

While Ayo more than likely won't be drafted (per just about every draft board), if his dream is to play professionally, regardless of where that is, God bless him for chasing that dream.

The good news is that as a sophomore, he has choices and both are good ones. Coming back it's probably a Final Four team and declaring and leaving, he'll make some money.

He's a legend here and that can never be taken away.

Add Levi Cobb and you've nailed it!
I did forget Levi that was bad of me. I will always have a place in my heart for Audi as he, like Ayo, took a huge risk on Illinois.
It is sooooo good to see all these young fans here now with some really great memories of Illinois basketball. Next year will be really fun, and if somehow Ayo and Kofi come back? It will feel like 1989 knowing how good we could be!

Found this article on a draft site that had him going 38th. An old interview, but shows he has a lot of character to go with his bball skills.

Ayo during recruitment

That's the first site I've seen that has him in as of recently. From what I've read the only thing holding Ayo back is his three point shot. I have no clue what the decision will end up being, but the lack of the stage to showcase his skills and move up into solidly being drafted, changes his decision from definitely gone to wait and see. I think he will explore the NBA draft and see where he is then make a decision, because if he makes the same improvements to his three point shot that he did to his midrange this year, then he would definitely get drafted late first/early second if he stays just like Tillman did this year.

JJB

Chicago, IL
That's the first site I've seen that has him in as of recently.

Sam Vecenie @ the Athletic has consistently had Ayo in the late 30's in his mock drafts since the beginning of the year.

He's been special --we've been lucky to have him. Great player, great guy. I'm not enough of a draft expert to know where to slot him, but his 3 point shooting is really suspect for today's NBA. Everything else about him is lottery level, but how many guards go in the first round shooting 30% from the arc? And if he's not a first rounder, should he go anyway? Peaking for the tournament would have helped, but unfortunately, he has to make a decision without that opportunity.

Best of luck to him either way --It was a really special year to enjoy with him and Kofi leading our turn-around.

I don’t follow stuff as closely as I used to, but Colin Sexton would be a non-shooting combo guard who was a lottery pick. Can’t really think of anyone else and besides that particular stat idk how they compare to each other.

Sam Vecenie @ the Athletic has consistently had Ayo in the late 30's in his mock drafts since the beginning of the year.
Looking at the list of players he has above Ayo makes Ayo’s ranking look pretty accurate in my mind. If he and his family are fine with that than go for it. If not, another year would or (should) raise his stock. Nothing is guaranteed though as there are no guarantees in life.

I think nothing hurt his stock more than not playing in another 2-5 more games. He was on an absolute tear since returning from injury. It stings a lot knowing he was more than capable of carrying this team deeper than most would've predicted, but his play over the last month was lottery pick type stuff.

I hope that if he does leave, NBA teams will see that potential. Personally, I think he should unless he can pump his 3pt% up, personally think that's his biggest weakness now.

I know coming out of high school Ayo had a one track mind. It was play one year of college and go straight to the league. Throughout his Freshmen year he saw his stock drop to a late second round pick to possibly un drafted. Now after his Soph year his stock really hasn't improved like many of us would have thought. He made a lot of clutch plays for us this year, and on the fast break, he's darn near impossible to stop. But I honestly don't see how leaving would help his case this year. There are plenty of really really good NBA players that played 3-4 years in college. Yes I get it, the longer you stay in college, the more holes that scouts can possibly find in your game, but he's a borderline drafted player as it stands. If he was to come back next year, he would be in the pre-season talks with Garza for Big Ten Player of the year, possible All-American consideration and a top 5-10 team in the country. Stay another year, collect all the accolades that you can possibly get, improve you're three point shooting, then call it a day and see where the chips fall.

He was probably six inches from tearing knee ligaments vs Michigan State. That would have taken him out of the draft completely and would have threatened his career.

The risk/reward is a personal decision. I don't think the risk is worth it if being drafted or playing professionally next year is in the cards.

Deleted member 29907

D
If he is a sure fire first round pick then I agree, leave now. Definitely don't want to risk injury if you are getting drafted. But right now as it stands, not only is he not graded as a first rounder, but he might not get drafted at all. If he doesn't mind playing overseas for a few years, then the possibility of him getting injured isn't going to cause teams overseas from giving him a chance.

No one wants Ayo to succeed more at the next level then I do. I absolutely love his attitude and the way he plays the game. I just also do not want this to be a Darius Washington Jr 2.0 situation where he leaves earlier then needed and we never hear his name again.
Who?