Ayo Dosunmu has big decision to make about NBA

201154JC

Rockford, IL
Other than the fear of injury, I think he should return. I've not seen his name anywhere near the 1st round. I believe another year in school and the national exposure our program should get next year could possibly make him a lottery pick. No risk no reward.

jmilt7

Waukegan
I am fairly confident that Ayo will move on but there was one thing he said that kind of raised my eyebrow a bit. I don't know why exactly but when he said, "humbled by our fans’ tremendous support along the way." something made me think that if anything, his relationship with Illini fans (whatever it may actually be) might be a determinant factor in that he still has something to prove to us. And that if he has any regret it is that. And that may be a reason to return. But I am probably overthinking it.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
I saw Kofi live on Instagram last night and somone asked him if Ayo was coming back. He said he was not and was going to the league.
I expect Ayo will release a statement thanking all of the fans and confirming his intentions to enter the draft when the timing is right. He's been classy every step of the way. Don't anticipate that will change.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Nevermind. Ignore my earlier post. I just read Shannon Ryan's article cited on the IL front page and his father said, "Everything is at a standstill,” Quam Dosunmu said. But he noted his son has little left to prove at Illinois. Missing a chance to compete in the NCAA Tournament won’t sway his son’s decision, he said.
“We set out and did what we wanted to do,” he said. “We accomplished all the goals we wanted to.”
I mean, is there really any debate after those statements? Seems to me that that is it.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Nevermind. Ignore my earlier post. I just read Shannon Ryan's article cited on the IL front page and his father said, "Everything is at a standstill,” Quam Dosunmu said. But he noted his son has little left to prove at Illinois. Missing a chance to compete in the NCAA Tournament won’t sway his son’s decision, he said.
“We set out and did what we wanted to do,” he said. “We accomplished all the goals we wanted to.”
I mean, is there really any debate after those statements? Seems to me that that is it.

We can hold onto his leg, amirite?

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Yeah, but it takes two to tango. Even if Ayo has mentally committed to entering the draft, his actual decision should be influenced by the feedback he gets. If they tell him he should play one more year of college ball to improve his draft stock, he'll have to take that into account.

Personally, I think he's gone. I'm expecting him to go late-first to early-second round.

If anything this pandemic is teaching players that they can't take their prime earning seasons for granted...things can get cancelled, so go while you have the chance. I would love for Ayo to come back, but I don't think that's really best for him. He should go and get the paycheck while he can.

hooraybeer

Pittsburgh, PA
as much as i would love to have ayo back, it’s really nice to know that our success next year doesn’t totally hinge on him coming back. that said, we’re obviously better with him than without

Nice shoutout to Ayo,Illinois at the end of this article, picked as one of 4 players to watch had the tournament been played:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/your-guide-to-the-ncaa-mens-tournament-that-could-have-been/
Watching these highlights it is difficult for me to believe Ayo is not NBA ready. He has size, quickness, and ability to finish around the hoop. He is not a great three point shooter but not a mason either and he can improve that. He is a winner and that has value.

I think if they have workouts, he will shine. A legit combo guard at shooting guard height. Im thinking mid to late first and similar to Shai Gilgeous Alexander. Does he get workouts though?

Can Illini players even practice, play pick-up games on campus? Hate the thought of no more Ayo at Illinois, but that's the way it goes. Lockdown, baby, to fight this thing. We will recover and Illini will be very strong next year, I think.

P.S. Brad is a good coach, discuss. Articulate, I like his style.

Last edited:

illini80

Forgottonia
Can Illini players even practice, play pick-up games on campus? Hate the thought of no more Ayo at Illinois, but that's the way it goes. Lockdown, baby, to fight this thing. We will recover and Illini will be very strong next year, I think.

P.S. Brad is a good coach, discuss. Articulate, I like his style.
No. All training facilities are closed with the exception being players who undergoing medical treatment.

I watch this guy Ayo and don't believe what I'm seeing. Fast, ball-control, good passer, not afraid of going to the basket, shooting off-balance and making the shots. In short, a winner. No, he's not Jordan (who is?), but Ayo has similar gifts. Thanks, Ayo, for everything and for being a Fighting Illini.

Last edited:
Just saw a mock draft where Ayo was listed at # 38. I think when all is said and done he will be a late first rounder. If that’s the case Ayo needs to go. It was a pleasure watching him turn into a late game assassin. It will help our coaching staff to point out to recruits how much he developed while at CU.

Great thing about late 1st, that's where the good teams are, great thing about early 2nd is less pressure generally and a team that wants him can possibly acquire a pick if they need it. Ayo proved a lot to me...he could prove more by playing lights out all season and improving his 3 ball but I am sure anyone can see the potential for that. With what he already brings to the table a decently high floor and very high ceiling in my mind. Ayo turned around the culture and got Illinois winning again...job well done...all the best.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
He's out. All the signs: Quam's comments, Ayo staying on the court after Iowa to thank the fans...those were goodbye waves, Adam Miller saying 100% signing on day one of spring signing period, and finally Kofi's comments.

These aren't vague signs. They are clear indications. It's time to root hard for him to get a first round guaranteed pick!

He's out. All the signs: Quam's comments, Ayo staying on the court after Iowa to thank the fans...those were goodbye waves, Adam Miller saying 100% signing on day one of spring signing period, and finally Kofi's comments.

These aren't vague signs. They are clear indications. It's time to root hard for him to get a first round guaranteed pick!
These aren't ordinary times. All bets are off.

He's very likely gone, but a guard shooting 29.6% of 3 pointers will have significant question marks for NBA teams.