Ayo Dosunmu has big decision to make about NBA

I wonder if Ayo ever looks at this site and just laughs

I mean, despite what I just wrote, I would if I were him. No matter where he plays his post-college ball, he'll be making a lot more than any of us did at 22 while playing basketball all day. Soon enough he'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Livingston is a good comparison...long; good defender; plays calm and with confidence. Livingston wasn‘t a three point threat either. Ayo could be a great asset to many teams, but If he develops a consistent three point shot, with his ability to drive if a defender comes out to cover...he’s a force.
Livingston is 6'7", can guard multiple positions and is what I think Ayo can be in a best case scenario. Livingston has played 17 years with lifetime averages of 6 PPG, 3 APG and 2 RPG. He found a good spot with Golden State and has made a nice niche for himself as a middle of the bench guy on a loaded roster.

He's made a good living.

Livingston is 6'7", can guard multiple positions and is what I think Ayo can be in a best case scenario. Livingston has played 17 years with lifetime averages of 6 PPG, 3 APG and 2 RPG. He found a good spot with Golden State and has made a nice niche for himself as a middle of the bench guy on a loaded roster.

He's made a good living.
please do not ever say that is best case scenario for Ayo. A healthy Livingston is Ayos best case.

He's made a good living.

$57,764,368

$57,764,368
Ab-so-lute-ly.

That was my point in earlier posts when I said his best case scenario was probably a player with that role in the NBA. That's not a knock. It's what many of us see, at this point, with his skillset and the holes in his game, which is the basis of the question of whether he stays(to potentially improve his draft stock) or goes(to get that first paycheck earlier rather than later and remove the injury concern). I think we all know the decision.

He sure wouldn't be wondering where his next meal would be coming from if he mirrored Shaun Livingston's career..

please do not ever say that is best case scenario for Ayo. A healthy Livingston is Ayos best case.
A healthy Livingston was a lottery pick coming out of High School. At 6'7", with his ability to get to the rim, finish and play multiple positions...that lured GM's. The only comp that fits is that neither were great shooter, but even at that.....Ayo is a sub par shooter, even by college standards.

I should revise my original thought. Could Ayo break out and be the Rajon Rondo? Sure. There are always players that just blossom at that next level and become superstars. The initial and most important question (and the point of what this whole discussion is based on) is will an NBA GM project that for him. This draft is all about projecting 5 years from now. From what you've seen to date, if you were a GM and were using your money and guaranteeing giving it to someone, has Ayo shown enough physically and ability to secure that money.

This discussion is a stay or go discussion. I think it deviated from that a little but.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
For me, part of the reason Ayo might be attractive is that he has a good work ethic, he has some of the right physical tools, and he has obviously not peaked yet. Where is his actual ceiling? I think it's hard to say. But based on his development from Freshman to Sophomore year, one could project subsequent leaps once he can focus purely on basketball and works with the best trainers and coaches available. I think the potential is something that will help entice a team to draft him.

Last edited:
For me, part of the reason Ayo might be attractive is that he has a good work ethic, he has some of the right physical tools, and he has obviously not peaked yet. Where is his actual ceiling? I think it's hard to say. But based on his development from Freshman to Sophomore year, one could project subsequent leaps once he can focus purely on basketball and works with the best trainers and coaches available. I think the potential is something that will help entice a team to draft him.

If trainers/coaches view his shot as fixable -- as something that just needs tweaks to the release point and body positioning rather than a wholesale teardown -- I think there is a lot about his game that could be really appealing. His game has holes, but to me, everything comes down to his shot. If he can be 37%+ from three, then he'll have a lot of value given what else he can do. If he can't, then I'm not convinced his passing or general feel separates him enough from other prospects, since the ball would need to be in his hands a lot to offset his lack of floor spacing.

Improve shot
Tighten Handles and passing game
Add muscle/explosiveness
Improve D

Definitely a spot for Ayo in the league, but think this is what he needs to be a consistent contributor in the league.
Exactly right......I wish him nothing but the best...especially handles and passing.

Ayo’s not very strong... huh?
This is one of the most fearless players we’ve seen, willing his way threw the lane and getting to the bucket AT WILL, with quickness and STRENGTH!

Ayo, AT BEST, is an NBA All-star!

As for strong and fearless, that's Andres Feliz.
As for Ayo being no less than an NBA all-star, Ayo did not make the coaches All B1G, nor was he an All American. So let's not get way ahead of ourselves.

I think most people are reasonable on Ayo's pro chances, but I don't really know why some people put him down, or know for sure he is not going to NBA, or at best a reduced, Shaun Livingston.

I don't think most people are saying Ayo is going to be the next Jordan, or that he is a lottery pick, but I really don't know how many people are quick to dismiss his potential. If he can develop a 3 point shot, he could be a very, very good player at the NBA level. It is a big if, but the potential is there. He has some traits that can be worked with. Will he get that 3 point shot - that is to be determined. Will he be a NBA player - that is to be determined. Will he be very good - tbd. However, seeing he did not make All Big10 coaches, or he is overrated are some really dumb comments I have seen. He played the best season for the Illini at least in a decade in my opinion, sans maybe Malcolm's senior year.

I think most people are reasonable on Ayo's pro chances, but I don't really know why some people put him down, or know for sure he is not going to NBA, or at best a reduced, Shaun Livingston.

I don't think most people are saying Ayo is going to be the next Jordan, or that he is a lottery pick, but I really don't know how many people are quick to dismiss his potential. If he can develop a 3 point shot, he could be a very, very good player at the NBA level. It is a big if, but the potential is there. He has some traits that can be worked with. Will he get that 3 point shot - that is to be determined. Will he be a NBA player - that is to be determined. Will he be very good - tbd. However, seeing he did not make All Big10 coaches, or he is overrated are some really dumb comments I have seen. He played the best season for the Illini at least in a decade in my opinion, sans maybe Malcolm's senior year.
You have to remember the context of all this. The thread is that he has a big decision to be made. Nobody is putting him down in the context that he isn't a great player. He is. People are questioning his draft stock, which would(or should) be a determining factor in his decision.

There are large holes in his game.....as relates to the NBA.

He's up there with Garza as Big Ten POY if he returns.

I think some took the criticisms as pot shots vs issues that GM's are going to have.

As much as I like us being positive about players, I think you have to let people be critical here. The draft is about projecting potential, and that's going to get a lot of discussion about weaknesses and such. We're just a bunch of fans with a wide swath of opinions, and the players trust the people close to them that they respect. I imagine the coaches warn them to ignore us, and they should. There's plenty of good info, and plenty more bad or poorly informed. I'm guilty of that as much as anyone --I only see the players in games, and even then, I've only seen a few live games this year. I have a tiny fraction of the staff's collective info, and I follow the team pretty closely. Got my opinions though!

Ayo's been awesome to watch. Huge leap this year in his game. Wishing him nothing but the best wherever he gets drafted, and would be thrilled if he decided another season here was his best preparation for the league.

Does anybody know if Ayo has hired an agent?? If so who is it?
Has not hired an agent. Things seem to be 50/50 right now. Last I heard is that he is working out with his dad. However all of the gyms, schools, and restaurants are shut down due to the virus.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...-who-could-have-boosted-stock-in-ncaa-tourney

2019-20 season: 16.6 points, 4.3 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game.

Bossi's analysis: Opinions on Dosunmu are mixed from NBA people I've spoken with. They have him anywhere from late in the first round to the middle of the second round. He's tough as nails, strong, defends and has developed into a heck of a leader. But, he's a so-so athlete by NBA standards and there are worries about his jump shot. More time to see his competitive juices could have swung some more teams in his favor.

Potential replacement: Brad Underwood and the Illini look set here if Dosunmu leaves. Trent Frazier will be back with more experience, and they have a pair of dynamic guards on the way in five-star Adam Miller and top 50 Andre Curbelo.

Seems to match the general consensus here.

There are a maximum of 15 x 30 = 450 players in the NBA. The NBA drafts two players per team per year. 2 x 30 = 60.

So, each year there are 60 new players in the league? Hmmm,... that would mean that Ayo is a top 60 player in the NCAA....

That might not be a reach at all. However, that includes all four years of college players and international players.

Also, 60 players get drafted, out of 450....

That would mean that 60 / 450 = 13.33% player turnover on an annual basis...

This shows how fleeting it is...