Ayo Dosunmu has big decision to make about NBA

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Illini fan reactions if Ayo announces he’s returning....

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
There were several blasting Underwood for this,I believe we came out ahead

Blasting Underwood for assuming he could finesse the situation, sure. It blew up in his face. His due diligence was a fail. But taking THT, instead of Ayo? Nah.

illiniswish09

Northwest Suburbs
Speaking of all that... What’s our relationship like with Mr. Robert Smith and Simeon these days...?

WINT

Kewanee, IL
Yep, that's another tune I refused to play. Ayo is not only good himself, he makes others around him better. THT was only about getting his.
That’s what she said? Would of been nice to have it all.

There was certainly a lot of lamenting over losing THT (and the ramifications thereof), but I don't recall anyone saying we should have taken THT over Ayo.

I agree, and speaking for myself only, I always thought THT actual game/size etc didn't equate to what the ILLINI needed at the time. That is not even factoring in what may or may not have come about from off court or selfish reasons from him if we had gotten him.

I appreciate BU building this in his way, it is showing to have worked out for the best, I am also in the camp of it not coming about fast as well as most, but that is expected from us fans.

Blasting Underwood for assuming he could finesse the situation, sure. It blew up in his face. His due diligence was a fail. But taking THT, instead of Ayo? Nah.
I was sour on losing THT...but I think it worked out for the best.
Reminder to us all...Recruits' character and team mindset is a premium factor to consider.

Normally, wouldn't a player in his situation test the waters and withdraw if the scouts didn't give him enough positive feedback?

Something that has me hopeful that Ayo is returning is that we haven't seen many point guard recruits being mentioned. PG depth chart next year is two strong PGs in Frazier and Curbelo and then nothing else. If one were to get injured, we'd be hurting there. Probably nothing, but makes you wonder.

Ayo’s new Twitter video, seems like the message is leading up to “ayodios, Illini” (or “the farewell,” or “next step: the league,” etc.).
At the same time, wishing it were instead hinting of “unfinished business part 2”

The video is about the topic of the pandemic being bigger than basketball, so there may be nothing to read into it as far as any connections to future plans or sharing information in future unrelated videos. But it did have mention of accomplishments of the team and thanks to different people. Not for sure, but imo it has a “thanks, but getting ready to move on” vibe.

Last edited:
Something that has me hopeful that Ayo is returning is that we haven't seen many point guard recruits being mentioned. PG depth chart next year is two strong PGs in Frazier and Curbelo and then nothing else. If one were to get injured, we'd be hurting there. Probably nothing, but makes you wonder.

Hutch can play PG.

What has me hopeful is that all of these questions regarding the combine, workouts and draft has created a great deal of uncertainty. With him only being a Sophomore (Junior next year), there's really no reason to go from a place of certainty(returning to school, being close to home) to a completely up in the air situation.

It's unfortunate for a lot of these guys, but the risk/reward has definitely shifted towards going back to school for many.

Reading talk about NBA cancelling the remainder ofthe season including playoffs. That would probably be the best outcome for early entrants.

Reading talk about NBA cancelling the remainder ofthe season including playoffs. That would probably be the best outcome for early entrants.
Why? If they cancel it's because they'd deem in unsafe for the players. That really doesn't lend itself to holding workouts, having a combine or a draft (soon). These kids have the make some decisions, just because these coaches have to fill out a roster, knowing what they have or don't have. When is signing day? Has to be coming up.