Ayo Dosunmu has big decision to make about NBA

From the above article... 🤤

“Bossi: It’s not for sure that Illinois sophomore
Ayo Dosunmu is going to enter the Draft, but I’d be relatively surprised if he doesn’t. I’m also a big believer in him finding a way to stick if he chooses to come out this year because of his versatility, work ethic, character and toughness.

That being said, I’d sure love to see what he could do for his stock by playing a junior season for the Illini. If he plays college ball in 2020-21, I’ll have Dosunmu on my short list of potential All-Americans and I’ll have high expectations for Brad Underwood’s team. If he came back and built on the way he finished his sophomore season, I could see his Draft stock getting a tremendous boost.

From the above article... 🤤

“Bossi: It’s not for sure that Illinois sophomore
Ayo Dosunmu is going to enter the Draft, but I’d be relatively surprised if he doesn’t. I’m also a big believer in him finding a way to stick if he chooses to come out this year because of his versatility, work ethic, character and toughness.

That being said, I’d sure love to see what he could do for his stock by playing a junior season for the Illini. If he plays college ball in 2020-21, I’ll have Dosunmu on my short list of potential All-Americans and I’ll have high expectations for Brad Underwood’s team. If he came back and built on the way he finished his sophomore season, I could see his Draft stock getting a tremendous boost.
Agree with this. Us being even better will help his stock. Also all American status won't hurt too much

3DegreeIllini

Chicago,IL
Had the MSU injury never happened, I bet he’d be more likely to stay. We always talk in hypotheticals about the injury risk, but to stare it in the face and come back from it—I doubt he tempts fate. Especially on what may be an asterisk of a CBB season.

Had the MSU injury never happened, I bet he’d be more likely to stay. We always talk in hypotheticals about the injury risk, but to stare it in the face and come back from it—I doubt he tempts fate. Especially on what may be an asterisk of a CBB season.
either way, I think he's gonna stay

An asterisk? If college ball, which starts really getting fired up towards the end of November has an asterisk, what would be next to the NBA with no combine, no workouts, draft potentially being virtual, no summer league and who knows what training camp and the start to the regular season would be.

As of today, every 2020 sport COULD have an asterisk, but college ball, just because it starts so late, is probably the sport most likely to be "normal".

Last edited:
Why? If they cancel it's because they'd deem in unsafe for the players. That really doesn't lend itself to holding workouts, having a combine or a draft (soon). These kids have the make some decisions, just because these coaches have to fill out a roster, knowing what they have or don't have. When is signing day? Has to be coming up.
If the season is cancelled then the draft, regardless of its format, will likely occur prior to the start of fall semester enrollment

IMO it's still wishful thinking that Ayo returns, regardless. However, it's also true that very little is normal with the pandemic. Hopingfor500 said the next college hoops season has the best chance of any sport to be "normal". It's possible that the next college basketball season may be less impacted, but it won't be "normal". Already there are impacts on players and programs, with more to come. High school, club, college, and pro basketball are interconnected, and all are being impacted now. That will continue to be the case for the indefinite future and ripple effects will be felt next season, whatever things look like then.

Whitmans Sampler

Eastern Iowa
1BCC132C-D7AD-4CC9-86C2-B8D6EB8FF2FE.jpeg

So umm what does this mean?

View attachment 5938

So umm what does this mean?
It means nothing. It is quite confusing as a screenshot, but watching the video makes things much more clear. During the pre-season photo shoot, he makes a comment along the lines of “I’m not celebrating this year.. I’m locked in.” The video would go on to show his celebrations after all of his game closing shots. The comment is saying “thankfully he did celebrate”. Nothing else.

I really can’t believe we haven’t heard a whiff of what he’s thinking. I figured he would have announced that he was testing the waters but not signing with an agent but that hasn’t even happened.

I really can’t believe we haven’t heard a whiff of what he’s thinking. I figured he would have announced that he was testing the waters but not signing with an agent but that hasn’t even happened.
Yup. This is obv me having wishful thinking, we all do, but this is why I feel like he is coming back.

What an interesting scenario this year has presented us. It seems that the usual fallback options to undrafted players will now be more unlikely than the draft itself. By that I mean the NBA will be most interested in getting their season, and off-season in order first. The "minor" leagues, I assume, will be shut down longer as it wouldn't be financially prudent to commit the resources to ensuring their safety. Similar with the foreign leagues. On top of it I anticipate very conservative management of the leagues as they recover from the lost revenue.

I predict the NCAA will eventually grant an exception this year for undrafted players to return to school; possibly, even if they hire an agent. It would be an opportunity to test their oversight of the new laws which will allow players to hire agents/representatives anyways.

jmilt7

Waukegan
I predict the NCAA will eventually grant an exception this year for undrafted players to return to school; possibly, even if they hire an agent. It would be an opportunity to test their oversight of the new laws which will allow players to hire agents/representatives anyways.

I was looking at Jon Rothstein's twitter whatever to see what his sources were on his statement about the NCAA probable ruling that immediate eligibility would not go into effect this year when I saw this, according to Rothstein, "Important to note: ANYONE who declares for the NBA Draft technically retains their eligibility since prospects are now allowed to retain agents during the process." Or did I misunderstand your comment? :unsure: I know I am probably the last person to ask about stuff like this.

What an interesting scenario this year has presented us. It seems that the usual fallback options to undrafted players will now be more unlikely than the draft itself. By that I mean the NBA will be most interested in getting their season, and off-season in order first. The "minor" leagues, I assume, will be shut down longer as it wouldn't be financially prudent to commit the resources to ensuring their safety. Similar with the foreign leagues. On top of it I anticipate very conservative management of the leagues as they recover from the lost revenue.

FWIW... if I am Ayo I am coming back. Here is my thinking...

1. if I have gotten to the point in my career that sticking with an NBA team is likely, that means I have the ability to be dominant for an entire season in the BIG Ten.
2. because this dominance emerged later in the season, NBA decision makers / scouts lacked critical data & in-person exposure to be convinced.
3. why (except for fear of injury) would I accept late round draft status (based upon my reasoning that I can dominate at the college level).
4. in the spirit of Deron Williams I play another year for two reasons.

a) A real chance at competing for a national championship and...
b) A body or work that justifies my worthiness of receiving a first round pick.

Last edited:
FWIW... if I am Ayo I am coming back. Here is my thinking...

1. if I have gotten to the point in my career that sticking with an NBA team is likely, that means I have the ability to be dominant for an entire season in the BIG Ten.
2. because this dominance emerged later in the season, NBA decision makers / scouts lacked critical data & in-person exposure to be convinced.
3. why (except for fear of injury) would I accept late round draft status (based upon my reasoning that I can dominate at the college level).
4. in the spirit of Deron Williams I play another year for two reasons.

a) A real chance at competing for a national championship and...
b) A body or work that justifies my worthiness of receiving a first round pick.
Excellent great points