Ayo Dosunmu has big decision to make about NBA

I was looking at Jon Rothstein's twitter whatever to see what his sources were on his statement about the NCAA probable ruling that immediate eligibility would not go into effect this year when I saw this, according to Rothstein, "Important to note: ANYONE who declares for the NBA Draft technically retains their eligibility since prospects are now allowed to retain agents during the process." Or did I misunderstand your comment? :unsure: I know I am probably the last person to ask about stuff like this.
Interesting. I didn’t realize that was permitted this year already. Are players still required to withdraw from draft to retain eligibility?

FWIW... if I am Ayo I am coming back. Here is my thinking...

1. if I have gotten to the point in my career that sticking with an NBA team is likely, that means I have the ability to be dominant for an entire season in the BIG Ten.
2. because this dominance emerged later in the season, NBA decision makers / scouts lacked critical data & in-person exposure to be convinced.
3. why (except for fear of injury) would I accept late round draft status (based upon my reasoning that I can dominate at the college level).
4. in the spirit of Deron Williams I play another year for two reasons.

a) A real chance at competing for a national championship and...
b) A body or work that justifies my worthiness of receiving a first round pick.

Professional athletes have extremely short careers, relatively speaking. Why wouldn't I want to monetize every single one I can? Sure the contract won't be guaranteed outside the 1st round, but if you prove your worth, that can actually be a good thing. Free Agency in the NBA is extremely lucrative. He will get there faster if he starts sooner. Not to mention being able to work on your craft without practice restrictions or worrying about grades. NBA practices are at a whole different speed. If I can dominate at the collegiate level, how exactly is that making me better than practicing against my peers in the NBA would?
I would love for him to come back, but that's because I'm a fan. I'm not him. Is Ayo's life-long dream to compete for a B1G Championship and play in the NCAA tournament, or is it to play in the NBA? I bet its the latter.

Professional athletes have extremely short careers, relatively speaking. Why wouldn't I want to monetize every single one I can? Sure the contract won't be guaranteed outside the 1st round, but if you prove your worth, that can actually be a good thing. Free Agency in the NBA is extremely lucrative. He will get there faster if he starts sooner. Not to mention being able to work on your craft without practice restrictions or worrying about grades. NBA practices are at a whole different speed. If I can dominate at the collegiate level, how exactly is that making me better than practicing against my peers in the NBA would?
I would love for him to come back, but that's because I'm a fan. I'm not him. Is Ayo's life-long dream to compete for a B1G Championship and play in the NCAA tournament, or is it to play in the NBA? I bet its the latter.
No way can you say that AYO dominated at the college level. He was a very good player some nights.

Deleted member 8896

D
I’d say by the end of the season he was dominating night in and out. He really grew a ton this season
No way was he a dominate player. You’re right in that he grew a ton this year. I can’t remember the last time illinois did have a player that dominated night in & night out. Deron? Frank? Kendall? Maybe further back.

JJB

Chicago, IL
Ayo and NBA teams are going to have to navigate their respective decisions without much to go on.

"The NBA informed teams on Monday that organizations are prohibited from conducting in-person workouts or interviews with draft-eligible players until further notice, according to a memo obtained by ESPN.....

......The NBA pre-draft process will be dramatically different for the 2020 draft, forcing teams to rely heavily on previous scouting and intelligence gathering. There are still uncertainties regarding how teams might gather crucial physical information on draft candidates.

Teams are also prohibited from requesting video of recent workouts that players might conduct outside of a team environment, the memo said. Teams can study only film -- such as college game and practice sessions -- that occurred before the NBA's suspension of play on March 11."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29003613/nba-sets-guidelines-draft-prospect-workouts-memo

It seems to me that those restrictions may be put in place to disentangle the draft from the conclusion of the season. If those restrictions remain, then theoretically the NBA could hold the draft during the original date even if they are still playing games, or remain hopeful to do so eventually. I honestly think it’s the best option for the NBA as it places all teams on relatively equal footing, allows them to disregard potential regional differences of covid impact, and doesn’t put any players at risk.

As for Ayo... ?

Jeremy Werner, in his podcast suggested that uncertainty about AD going pro has increased due to the changing situation, but Werner still leans in that direction.

Jeremy Werner, in his podcast suggested that uncertainty about AD going pro has increased due to the changing situation, but Werner still leans in that direction.
If Ayo still elects to go to the NBA without the ability to have teams see him physically, talk to him, etc...his intent was to go before the season even started.

As a fan base, we love him. As a team who is investing resources into him and can't get a true read on his size, strength, etc...all they can go on is statistics and game film. Ayo doesn't have great stats(shooting percentage, three point shooting percentage, assist to TO). He's not a stat sheet stuffer as Dick Vitale would say. He also doesn't jump off the screen athletically. There are only a handful of "WOW" plays.

The uncertainty surrounding Ayo outweighs the known commodity. When I see Cole Anthony and Emmanuel Quickley returning to school, both at the guard positions, both who are guys with the "WOW" factor...they obviously got certain advice.

It's just my opinion, but given the circumstances, if he declares, his intent was to never come back, which is fine. That's his choice, a choice he's worked hard to have and I wish him the best.

If Ayo still elects to go to the NBA without the ability to have teams see him physically, talk to him, etc...his intent was to go before the season even started.

As a fan base, we love him. As a team who is investing resources into him and can't get a true read on his size, strength, etc...all they can go on is statistics and game film. Ayo doesn't have great stats(shooting percentage, three point shooting percentage, assist to TO). He's not a stat sheet stuffer as Dick Vitale would say. He also doesn't jump off the screen athletically. There are only a handful of "WOW" plays.

The uncertainty surrounding Ayo outweighs the known commodity. When I see Cole Anthony and Emmanuel Quickley returning to school, both at the guard positions, both who are guys with the "WOW" factor...they obviously got certain advice.

It's just my opinion, but given the circumstances, if he declares, his intent was to never come back, which is fine. That's his choice, a choice he's worked hard to have and I wish him the best.

Yeah... his intent was 100% to go to the NBA after his sophomore session...

So has the NBA set a time for the draft or given any indication as to when the draft may take place????......since everything has been up in the air over the past few weeks at some point in time there has to be a deadline....I think ncaa would be weighing in on a deadline as well as this will affect players, scholarships, an college programs

Here are the key 3 questions that I think AD should be seeking answers to:
1) Will I get drafted into the NBA? 65/35 at this point? Some draft boards have him listed...others don't. I'm sure he's getting interest, but not sure if anybody has said, "we're definitely using our 2nd round pick on you".
2) If yes, what is my likely path after getting drafted? (i.e. g-league, guaranteed contract, bench - depends on teams expressing interest and probably what they are telling him). For some reason I don't think he's one that wants to get drafted just to bounce up and down between the g-league and the NBA bench.
3) What is the best/worst case scenario if AD chose to stay at Illinois for another year? Dominate end-to-end, no doubt 1st team B1G, maybe B1G POY, show what can be done on the national stage now that Illinois is back on the map! But what does that get him at most given the type of player profile he is. His differentiation is his Mental toughness. So strong..wants the last shot...nothing phases him. But it's intangible...not measured by any test. At most he'll lock himself as an NBA pick (late first to mid 2nd rounder). but the questions around his path will likely still be there even after next year.

I wish circumstances were better for him. But he seems to be surrounded by people with AD as the priority, so I think they'll collectively make the best decision for him. The only other decision I could see is to go professional oversees, but I don't think he's ready to give-up (nor should he) on the NBA. Too early to cash in the chips because that option for a player like him is always available.

Here are the key 3 questions that I think AD should be seeking answers to:
1) Will I get drafted into the NBA? 65/35 at this point? Some draft boards have him listed...others don't. I'm sure he's getting interest, but not sure if anybody has said, "we're definitely using our 2nd round pick on you".
2) If yes, what is my likely path after getting drafted? (i.e. g-league, guaranteed contract, bench - depends on teams expressing interest and probably what they are telling him). For some reason I don't think he's one that wants to get drafted just to bounce up and down between the g-league and the NBA bench.
3) What is the best/worst case scenario if AD chose to stay at Illinois for another year? Dominate end-to-end, no doubt 1st team B1G, maybe B1G POY, show what can be done on the national stage now that Illinois is back on the map! But what does that get him at most given the type of player profile he is. His differentiation is his Mental toughness. So strong..wants the last shot...nothing phases him. But it's intangible...not measured by any test. At most he'll lock himself as an NBA pick (late first to mid 2nd rounder). but the questions around his path will likely still be there even after next year.

I wish circumstances were better for him. But he seems to be surrounded by people with AD as the priority, so I think they'll collectively make the best decision for him. The only other decision I could see is to go professional oversees, but I don't think he's ready to give-up (nor should he) on the NBA. Too early to cash in the chips because that option for a player like him is always available.
European option may not be available for this group of players due to virus.

Likely the latter...
Agreed. If he comes back, it will be the lure of a potential Final Four. Kofi made up for a lot of mistakes on the back end. Without Kofi, this is a middle of the pack BT team, at best. Without Kofi and Ayo(along with Griffin, Feliz, Nichols and even Jones), this is another rebuild.

Agreed. If he comes back, it will be the lure of a potential Final Four. Kofi made up for a lot of mistakes on the back end. Without Kofi, this is a middle of the pack BT team, at best. Without Kofi and Ayo(along with Griffin, Feliz, Nichols and even Jones), this is another rebuild.
do not think it is another rebuild. Team will make the tourney next year, imo

do not think it is another rebuild. Team will make the tourney next year, imo
I love your optimism. Seriously, I do and it bothers me that I don't share it. It's just that a 50% roster turnover, losing what....75%+ of our scoring and 75%+ of our rebounding is tough to overcome. We'll have mainly a freshman backcourt and back at square one with a severe lack of an interior presence, muchless depth.

Hopefully, it doesn't come to that. If Kofi returns, this is back to being a tournament caliber team.

FWIW... if I am Ayo I am coming back. Here is my thinking...

1. if I have gotten to the point in my career that sticking with an NBA team is likely, that means I have the ability to be dominant for an entire season in the BIG Ten.
2. because this dominance emerged later in the season, NBA decision makers / scouts lacked critical data & in-person exposure to be convinced.
3. why (except for fear of injury) would I accept late round draft status (based upon my reasoning that I can dominate at the college level).
4. in the spirit of Deron Williams I play another year for two reasons.

a) A real chance at competing for a national championship and...
b) A body or work that justifies my worthiness of receiving a first round pick.
Solid logic throughout, Indy.