Ayo Dosunmu on the USA Basketball U18 National Team

Did Ayo shoot any jumpers? How did they look?

I didn’t see too many.

One other note on his two turnovers. Not sure which are attributed to him, but on one play Ayo was cutting to the basket and another player bounce passed the ball right into his shins. Even announcers were saying it was a bad/dangerous pass.

Not long after, Ayo threw a tight, crisp pass to someone under the basket but it went right through the guy’s fingertips. Totally catchable ball, guy just wasn’t ready for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Watching USA under 19. Ayo is so much better than any guard we had last yr. Twice they brought him off the bench and twice the USA team went on a run. He plays Underwood type "D".

Like that Ayo is a pass first and only took high percentage shots. Missed on an open 3, but for most part was driving the ball. I believe the team did well with him out there because he was passing to open man, rebounding, and playing D. Some of the players out there were playing like it was an all-star game (selfishness, no D).

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Like that Ayo is a pass first and only took high percentage shots. Missed on an open 3, but for most part was driving the ball. I believe the team did well with him out there because he was passing to open man, rebounding, and playing D. Some of the players out there were playing like it was an all-star game (selfishness, no D).

Agree. Grimes and White weren't afraid to shoot the ball, LOL. White got up 13 shots in 19 minutes of play. Love that he was 4 of 6 from 3-point, but that made him 1 of 7 from 2 point range and he was also 0 of 4 from the line. How does that happen?

Ayo missed his only three point attempt, but it was an in-and-outer. Shot looked good. 3 of 5 overall. Made his only free throw. He didn't press it too much on offense. Mainly fanning out to a wing or corner spot, waiting for a ball reversal.

Defensively, he usually took the ball handler coming up the court and played solid D there. Switched when needed and looked like he was communicating to the other guys about picking up other players. Underwood should like his vocality, if that's a word.

Seemed to lose his man a bit for rebounding, but did a decent job of understanding the best spot for missed shots.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN
His length makes him look taller than he is. He reminds of those kids Syracuse has all the time, all arms and legs and smooth. His BBIQ is way up there too. Jes gonna be a good one.

Agree. Grimes and White weren't afraid to shoot the ball, LOL. White got up 13 shots in 19 minutes of play. Love that he was 4 of 6 from 3-point, but that made him 1 of 7 from 2 point range and he was also 0 of 4 from the line. How does that happen?

Ayo missed his only three point attempt, but it was an in-and-outer. Shot looked good. 3 of 5 overall. Made his only free throw. He didn't press it too much on offense. Mainly fanning out to a wing or corner spot, waiting for a ball reversal.

Defensively, he usually took the ball handler coming up the court and played solid D there. Switched when needed and looked like he was communicating to the other guys about picking up other players. Underwood should like his vocality, if that's a word.

Seemed to lose his man a bit for rebounding, but did a decent job of understanding the best spot for missed shots.

Yeah, he was really good about signalIng on the switches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is my favorite part about Ayo: his game isn't flashy, but he plays a game that analysts would love. High percentage shots at the rim, good D, rebounding, passing, and now an improved outside jumper (pending confirmation in a collegiate setting). He reminds me a lot of Shaun Livingston, just a bit shorter. Nothing flashy, but they get to their comfortable spots and take good shots when they're there, or pass when a teammate has a better one. The kind of teammate people love to play with.

Ayo was very solid yesterday but lets hold back the hyperbole and the shade on current/past players. As good as Ayo is, he hasn't played a college game. Trent has and played like a McAA type players against Missouri, MSU, and Purdue (all NCAA tourney teams).

But getting back to Ayo, he will improve the team as he already know that it is a team game. BU offense requires all players full buy in to work. Ayo will benefit tremendously from the high post cuts to the basket. He can receive a pass down low or a hand off (pinch post method).

I wouldn't call him an outsider shooter just yet, I think that will come later. He is driver as opposed to a slasher. He will make the good passes, which we have struggled. He will get the rebounds, steals, and play solid D.

Where I think his BBIQ is higher than his peers is his ability to do the small stuff. Kind of like Damonte, possibly better. Ayo knows when to switch on D for starters. He also sees plays before they happen. We had players struggle with this last season, especially the younger ones. Feeling really good about Trent, Ayo, Damonte, Trevian, Feliz, AJ, Griffin at the 1-3 spots. I think this is where we will be better than 85% of the teams we play. We obviously are very weak inside. It is a guards game so we should be better here than last season at least.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Speaking of the USA team, I liked that Hurt kid. I think he's a junior. Any idea if we are recruiting him or not? I haven't heard his name too much around here.

Since I haven't seen anyone go all out on it, here are my amateur observations:

• Defensive intensity went up big notch when Ayo got in. Went from just “show” full court pressure to a legit press with Ayo spearheading that
• Ayo is a smart and solid defender but plays really upright on D. I’m 100% positive the coaching staff will work with him on that and he could be a hell of a defender even year 1. Could see him communicating on switches already, which Underwood is big on
• He was inconsistent on his effort on rebounding. One play he’s in there mixing it up, the other he shies away from contact and leaves others to do the work while trying to leak out (looked like a Morgan Park taught habit). We’ll need him on the boards with our well documented size issues
• Constantly pushes the ball, a lot of times by being unselfish and passing ahead. This should really mesh well with Trent and Kipper and will hopefully get AJ tons of quick 3’s
• He also almost always makes the correct and smart pass. Bacot dropped an easy bunny that was a high level pass. Another dude missed a dunk on a great pass. Just real set his teammates up well to make the next play. Did make a bad pass on an attempted alley oop but I'm sure he knew it immediately
• His size and length are clearly evident and impressive
• What we already know, dude finishes around the rim at a collegiate level right now
• Love his attitude and edge, something we haven’t had in god knows how long on this team. Will be a leader early on in his career here
• Missed a 3 that was somewhat rushed but as we’ve heard, the form is soooo much better. Looks like a different kid. He’ll have to work on his landing, as his legs looked out of whack but given the improvement in such a short amount of time, you can't be anything but encouraged
• Probably a 1% chance of happening but Ayo’s social media has shown him getting really buddy-buddy with Cole Anthony. Greg had great things to say about Underwood when we offered Cole and this budding bromance can’t hurt our chances but that’s obviously some pie in the sky type of dreaming…
• Hope Matthew Hurt goes to KU instead of Minnesota otherwise the B1G is in trouble
• We should look into Joel Soriano. Kid looks better than any big on our roster…

There’s a ton of focus on “burger boys” from the posters here but making this team is going to be way more beneficial than any all-star game Ayo could have participated in. Team ball, high level competition in practices and the try-outs, being with college coaches, playing in 6 real games with real pressure and competition. All huge in his development and ability to make an instant impact. I’m pumped for this kid, even more so now. I don’t think I’m adding any “hyperbole” or hyping him too much. 5 star kid who we all expect a lot from and but also expects a lot from himself. Our backcourt is going to be nasty.

CoalCity

St Paul, MN

• Defensive intensity went up big notch when Ayo got in. Went from just “show” full court pressure to a legit press with Ayo spearheading that
• Ayo is a smart and solid defender but plays really upright on D. I’m 100% positive the coaching staff will work with him on that and he could be a hell of a defender even year 1. Could see him communicating on switches already, which Underwood is big on
• He was inconsistent on his effort on rebounding. One play he’s in there mixing it up, the other he shies away from contact and leaves others to do the work while trying to leak out (looked like a Morgan Park taught habit). We’ll need him on the boards with our well documented size issues
• Constantly pushes the ball, a lot of times by being unselfish and passing ahead. This should really mesh well with Trent and Kipper and will hopefully get AJ tons of quick 3’s
• He also almost always makes the correct and smart pass. Bacot dropped an easy bunny that was a high level pass. Another dude missed a dunk on a great pass. Just real set his teammates up well to make the next play. Did make a bad pass on an attempted alley oop but I'm sure he knew it immediately
• What we already know, dude finishes around the rim at a collegiate level right now
• Love his attitude and edge, something we haven’t had in god knows how long on this team. Will be a leader early on in his career here
• Missed a 3 that was somewhat rushed but as we’ve heard, the form is soooo much better. Looks like a different kid. He’ll have to work on his landing, as his legs looked out of whack but given the improvement in such a short amount of time, you can't be anything but encouraged
• Probably a 1% chance of happening but Ayo’s social media has shown him getting really buddy-buddy with Cole Anthony. Greg had great things to say about Underwood when we offered Cole and this budding bromance can’t hurt our chances but that’s obviously some pie in the sky type of dreaming…
• Hope Matthew Hurt goes to KU instead of Minnesota otherwise the B1G is in trouble
• We should look into Joel Soriano. Kid looks better than any big on our roster…

There’s a ton of focus on “burger boys” from the posters here but making this team is going to be way more beneficial than any all-star game Ayo could have participated in. Team ball, high level competition in practices and the try-outs, being with college coaches, playing in 6 real games with real pressure and competition. All huge in his development and ability to make an instant impact. I’m pumped for this kid, even more so now. I don’t think I’m adding any “hyperbole” or hyping him too much. 5 star kid who we all expect a lot from and but also expects a lot from himself. Our backcourt is going to be nasty.

Solid post. Getting these extra games against high level competition and college coaching is going to really help him make the transition when he gets on campus. Natural alpha dog.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL

Nice breakdown. Agree on the rebounding. Although this USA team is pretty undersized as well, so hopefully it will be familiar to Ayo when he comes in to Illinois, LOL!!!

Would love to see Cole Anthony look at us, but agree that's dreaming. Soriano looked solid, although what I saw was near the end of the game.

There are still some all-star type individual play on that team. Hopefully we see less of it tonight and tomorrow.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Wow, Ayo has passing skills we haven't seen since Frankie! So smooth.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
My goodness. Is there a mercy rule in FIBA?:eek:

43-0 end of 1st......has that ever happened??