Ayo Dosunmu on the USA Basketball U18 National Team

They should be showing some of these clips to big recruits. Ayo should get you ten every nite with open dunks. Kane will love him. He is a true PG in that he looks to pass first and love the touch passes.

Illini_1979

Oregon
I love Ayo's length (width?). Long arms -- just so long as he doesn't get too many reach fouls.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I remember watching our 05 team thinking it would be cool if some of the passes before the actual assist should be assists as well, like hockey. Some of the sequences in this game are like that.

Wow, Ayo has passing skills we haven't seen since Frankie! So smooth.

Trying to manage the hyperbole, but Illinois has had terrible passing the last decade. Ayo does the simple and predictable play first, which is what Damonte does for the most part. Having guys like Trent, Ayo, Damonte making the basic plays will go a long way in reducing turnovers and increasing assists.

Really excited to see Trevian and Ayo on the court together. I think those two long athletes will give us options we haven't had recently. Ayo and Trevian can both finish at the rim, one with dunks the other with lay-ups.

• Ayo is a smart and solid defender but plays really upright on D. I’m 100% positive the coaching staff will work with him on that and he could be a hell of a defender even year 1.

I’m looking forward to seeing how much his defensive stance improves by the start of the season. The effort is there but he does play very upright. I’m guessing this is partly a strength and conditioning issue that Fletch will help with. I was very impressed with Trent’s on ball defense last year considering he was a freshman known primarily for his scoring in high school. In addition to the coaches, I think he learned a lot from Te’Jon. Hopefully Trent can provide similar mentorship to Ayo this year and Ayo will be receptive.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I’m looking forward to seeing how much his defensive stance improves by the start of the season. The effort is there but he does play very upright. I’m guessing this is partly a strength and conditioning issue that Fletch will help with. I was very impressed with Trent’s on ball defense last year considering he was a freshman known primarily for his scoring in high school. In addition to the coaches, I think he learned a lot from Te’Jon. Hopefully Trent can provide similar mentorship to Ayo this year and Ayo will be receptive.

We could be much improved defensively. Frazier and Williams are dogs. Ayo looks like he'll be one too. Feliz and Jones have potential. With Kane down low, protecting the rim, we should be much improved. Thing is, with first year players, you don't know what you're gonna get.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Trying to manage the hyperbole, but Illinois has had terrible passing the last decade. Ayo does the simple and predictable play first, which is what Damonte does for the most part. Having guys like Trent, Ayo, Damonte making the basic plays will go a long way in reducing turnovers and increasing assists.

Really excited to see Trevian and Ayo on the court together. I think those two long athletes will give us options we haven't had recently. Ayo and Trevian can both finish at the rim, one with dunks the other with lay-ups.

SESC, I agree. Make the easy pass is a key to sports like basketball and soccer, etc.

(Also, it's Tevian Jones, not Trevian... LOL)

As for Ayo's upright defensive stance in another post, I agree, a bit upright. I did like the fact last night that he guarded a smaller, quicker guard (albeit not very talented) from Panama.

I think he'll get more help in learning the defense from DaMonte, over Trent. Trent learned quickly last season, but DaMonte has grown up in that Peoria Manual tough defense system and should be able to help Ayo.

Man if Ayo was a bit more explosive he would be a legitimate 1-and-done candidate. I think the lack of explosiveness will keep him here 3 years (if not more), to our benefit.

Man if Ayo was a bit more explosive he would be a legitimate 1-and-done candidate. I think the lack of explosiveness will keep him here 3 years (if not more), to our benefit.

I've learned that speculating on that stuff is barely above pointless. At this time last year, I was figured we'd have Mark Smith for 1-2 years tops...before the NBA came calling, not Mizzou

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

I agree, but some of Ayo's passes require a court vision and BBIQ that we haven't seen since Frankie. He shows glimpses of that smoothness.

Dropped in to watch a little. Ayo with a nice behind the back on the break at 5:00 left in the 4th. Had thought the comparison to Frankie was a little much but that made me reconsider.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Dropped in to watch a little. Ayo with a nice behind the back on the break at 5:00 left in the 4th. Had thought the comparison to Frankie was a little much but that made me reconsider.

Not a total comparison. I'm just saying that some of his passes have the smoothness and vision that we haven't seen since Frankie. Like the one you mention!:thumb:

George Conditt did not do anything or much at all.

He blocked two shots on consecutive plays from a McAA and future McAA player.

Yes I wish he was on our roster next year. By junior year I think he will be a very solid college player.

jmilt7

Waukegan
He blocked two shots on consecutive plays from a McAA and future McAA player.

Yes I wish he was on our roster next year. By junior year I think he will be a very solid college player.

And didn’t he have a nice little hook shot or some kind of shot in the third quarter? I only watched that quarter hoping to see him play poorly but I thought he acquitted himself quite well overall. But like I said I only watched one quarter.

Are there any bigs on that team that perhaps Ayo is building friendships with that have a potential coaching scandal that may occur with their currently committed school?

foby

Bonnaroo Land
From watching the games.........Convinced Ayo will not only come in and start right away, but contribute on a high level. It really hurts not getting Conditt. And I really hope we are in the thick of things with Rocket Watts.

I've learned that speculating on that stuff is barely above pointless. At this time last year, I was figured we'd have Mark Smith for 1-2 years tops...before the NBA came calling, not Mizzou

This is very true, but then again almost all the speculating on here is barely above pointless, if at all.