B1G Commish says condensed basketball schedule won't be repeated

Dan

Admin
One and done.

That was essentially the message from Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany, who told the Tribune on Friday the conference tournament would return to Madison Square Garden in New York only if the Big Ten can have the premier weekend — the one the Big East has had locked in since 1983.

Why? Because moving this season’s event to MSG required the tournament to move up a week, creating a condensed regular-season schedule that coaches despised. Indiana, for example, played five games during a 12-day span from Jan. 19-30. Illinois just suited up three times in five days.

“I appreciate the sacrifices the teams made, the impact it had on our students,” Delany said. “Wasn’t good. Wasn’t healthy. I thought starting (the conference schedule) early was OK, but if you look at our schedules (through the years), we’ve been able to give everybody two-day prep (before games) in 99 percent of the cases.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...g-ten-basketball-schedule-20180223-story.html

As a fan, set in my ways, I didn't like it, but OTOH, this season wasn't one to watch :p

I'm used to non-conf then conf, which gives everyone a chance to test themselves before entering the conf race.

Deleted member 11196

D
Delany is no fool... he realizes his mistake and has corrected it.... Good Commish...

Deleted member 11241

D
Glad they recognize their mistake. I thought it was a cluster.....

I agree. We have struggled mightily this season but the B1G did us no favors with our schedule. 5 of 7 on the road to start the conference season. Then finishing with 4 games in 8 days with only 1 day rest to prepare for 2 of the premier teams in the league and us having to stay out east to wait for the B1G tourney. I know we petitioned for that but we had to so the players could get some actual rest

He certainly needed to make that decision. Especially since all of this is based on the need to have Rutgers in the conference. Seriously? Rutgers? :hand:

Doesn't Delaney live in NYC or NJ?

Also I think the next 2 years are already scheduled for a return to the United Center & then the Fieldhouse.

Doesn't Delaney live in NYC or NJ?

Also I think the next 2 years are already scheduled for a return to the United Center & then the Fieldhouse.

I don't want to go too far with this, but I just don't believe that Rutgers is worth adding as a starting point. And I don't believe that NYC is a college sports town. So, adding Rutgers to the B1G to bring NYC to our BTN footprint isn't worth anything, imo. And we went through a scheduling nightmare (too strong, but no thesaurus on hand) to be consistent with that decision. Rant over, however. As someone else said, at least this doesn't happen to be a year where my Illini post-season energy is high.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
I don't want to go too far with this, but I just don't believe that Rutgers is worth adding as a starting point. And I don't believe that NYC is a college sports town. So, adding Rutgers to the B1G to bring NYC to our BTN footprint isn't worth anything, imo. And we went through a scheduling nightmare (too strong, but no thesaurus on hand) to be consistent with that decision. Rant over, however. As someone else said, at least this doesn't happen to be a year where my Illini post-season energy is high.

It's worth having the NYC television market to the Big Ten tv money each school gets.

Don't worry they will still find a way to front load our schedule with road games next season

Yeah. Big ten basketball doesn’t have much appeal outside the Midwest. Defensive, physical, slow, low scoring.

Gotta know where your bread is buttered.

Plenty of commercials on in the New York area advertising tickets to the BTT at MSG.

Of course there is. They probably have 19k empty seats to fill. Maybe they'll shoot for Modesto in the future. Bring the tourney back to the Midwest where it belongs.

Will be curious to see how the '18/'19 schedule shakes out with going to 20 conference games. Will they do the 2 game thing around Thanksgiving or ditch the last of the non conference the week of Christmas?

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101917aab.html

At least we are covered for the next 4 years of the B1G tournament back at the United Center & Fieldhouse. :thumb:

"The 2018 Big Ten Men’s Basketball Tournament will be held from Feb. 28-March 4 at Madison Square Garden in New York City for the first time in history. All 14 teams will advance to the tournament, with two first-round games slated for Wednesday, Feb. 28. The top four teams will receive first and second round byes and advance to the quarterfinals on Friday, March 2. The Big Ten Tournament will return to Chicago in 2019 and 2021 and Indianapolis in 2020 and 2022."

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/012218aaf.html

My 2 cents; I expected this to be a 1 year deal because it was awkward...Delaney wanted Madison Square Garden and to introduce his product to NYC, next time you keep the normal tournament week and move over to NJ arena if Big East still has MSG. I see this as less of a mistake and more of a 1 year compromise to try to make as big of splash as possible in the biggest basketball venue in the world in your introduction to NYC market. With conference hauls now topping $50 million/yr Delaney is doing something right. Throw in some recruiting value & I think it was more of a calculated short term compromise.

We can't be in the NYC area with the Big East Tourney going on too. Too much competition for casual fan audiences and too far for many B1G fans to travel with ease.

Deleted member 3875

D
The only teams that NY really cares about are professional. North Carolina and Notre Dame have followers but that's about it.

Deleted member 3875

D
Yeah. Big ten basketball doesn’t have much appeal outside the Midwest. Defensive, physical, slow, low scoring.

Gotta know where your bread is buttered.

Where B1G tourney should be.

Indy
Chicago
Minny
Detroit
Columbus