B1G Next Year

We're losing:

AJ, which I think a lot of people underestimate. He has been one of those guys who is both smart, and good in little ways that don't necessarily make the highlights.

ADR, who's been a stop-gap kind of player in our thin front-court. With Kofi coming in, I'm not as concerned about this one, and Samba might be closer to contributing as well, although I wouldn't be surprised if he's still a year away.

?Ayo, who's draft stock will be evaluated after the season. I'm not an NBA junkie, so don't have a strong sense of it, but I wouldn't be surprised either way. If he's back, we're going to be very good. If I had to put my beach house up, I'm going to guess he's here next year, since I think he can move up with a little more body development to go with his skill set and our likely ascension in the league giving him high visibility.

Looking at 247, the BIG doesn't have a top-10 recruit, and only 1 top-25 (Indiana). tOSU has the 10th ranked class, with 3 solid 4 star recruits. Still some recruiting TBD though.
On the downside, Fernando (C Maryland) Smith (PF Maryland) and Langford (SG Indiana) are projected 1st rounders, with a couple others in the second (Brazdeikis, Edwards, Matthews).

It's quite conceivable that we jump straight into the mix of top tier schools next year.

Next year it looks like the top 3 should be Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan State probably with Michigan and Maryland as a stopgap between the second tier of Indiana, us, Minnesota, Purdue, and Ohio State. Penn State and Rutgers are probably next followed by Northwestern and Nebraska squads that are basically going to include nobody that has contributed that big in the conference.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Miles has somehow underachieved but simultaneously built Nebrasketball into a thing, which is quite an accomplishment. It's weird.
You summed this up perfectly. I didn't follow Big12 hoops closely before Nebrasketball joined the B1G. And I paid no attention to the bottom of thee Big 12 to know much about them as a program. But they felt like a basketball joke when they joined the conference. Now they are a legit team you have to worry about playing. I get the feeling they will regret letting him go if that's what they end up doing.

The interview with Trent in which he credits the buy in to BU's system as the turn around is very similar to one I heard from Deron Williams after the end of the 2004 season. Not trying to compare systems, coaches, or players, just an observation. Only point is the whole team has to be rowing the same direction and that never happened last year.

Iowa could be scary good next year if they have everyone come back. Technically, the only one that might go is Cook. If he stays, I honestly think they could win the Big Ten next year. I think I just threw up a little...:sick:

Next year it looks like the top 3 should be Wisconsin, Iowa, and Michigan State probably with Michigan and Maryland as a stopgap between the second tier of Indiana, us, Minnesota, Purdue, and Ohio State. Penn State and Rutgers are probably next followed by Northwestern and Nebraska squads that are basically going to include nobody that has contributed that big in the conference.

Wisconsin loses it's by far best player in Happ and you expect them to be better?

Wisconsin losing Happ will be huge. They also lose Iverson. Their bench doesn't contribute a lot although that will change with 2 spots open. Illinois, should be able to go toe to toe with Wis.
Purdue, losing Edwards would be big. He scores around 20 a game and attracts a lot of attention. I think the shooter Cline will be gone. They have some good players coming back, but no more than Illinois.
Nebraska, is losing a ton. Indiana, loses big man and Langford. Gain top 25 forward and 150 guard so far and frosh who has been hurt. Still no reason not to be able to compete with that team.
M.ST, MICH, IOWA will be good. And OSU
Barring losing Ayo no reason Illini cannot finish top 5 or 6.

illini55

The Villages, FL
Wisconsin loses it's by far best player in Happ and you expect them to be better?
If Ayo comes back, we simply will NOT be in the third tier next year. Have you looked at the amount of talent on this team? No team in the Big Ten will be better than Illinois. I know we are all battered by the early season losing, but that is a thing of the past, thankfully. Go Illini!!

If Ayo comes back, we simply will NOT be in the third tier next year. Have you looked at the amount of talent on this team? No team in the Big Ten will be better than Illinois. I know we are all battered by the early season losing, but that is a thing of the past, thankfully. Go Illini!!
And neither will Rutgers.

Sometimes addition by subtraction is a good thing...Wisky is somewhat stifled imo with Happ, remove him the guards flourish more and the intangibles he brings is the biggest loss. Granted that can be a big loss, don't really think with Reuver's (who I think will end up being better) that they won't get better actually.

Sometimes addition by subtraction is a good thing...Wisky is somewhat stifled imo with Happ, remove him the guards flourish more and the intangibles he brings is the biggest loss. Granted that can be a big loss, don't really think with Reuver's (who I think will end up being better) that they won't get better actually.

Stifled with Happ? As good a passer as he is? 2000 points and 1000 rebounds, only the 4th guy in the B1G ever! Nope...

Wisconsin losing Happ will be huge. They also lose Iverson. Their bench doesn't contribute a lot although that will change with 2 spots open. Illinois, should be able to go toe to toe with Wis.
Purdue, losing Edwards would be big. He scores around 20 a game and attracts a lot of attention. I think the shooter Cline will be gone. They have some good players coming back, but no more than Illinois.
Nebraska, is losing a ton. Indiana, loses big man and Langford. Gain top 25 forward and 150 guard so far and frosh who has been hurt. Still no reason not to be able to compete with that team.
M.ST, MICH, IOWA will be good. And OSU
Barring losing Ayo no reason Illini cannot finish top 5 or 6.

Yep, what he said!

Interesting point on Wisky is that 5 of 12 scholarship players have been redshirted. Might explain some of the skill levels despite relatively low rankings. What do you think Giorgi's freshman level would be if he was redshirted?

Giorgi is a 20 year old freshman so, in effect, he has redshirted twice.
Only a year older and not the same as red shirting where you are practicing with the team to learn their system. Physically mature but not with the same PT you would get with the team.

Stifled with Happ? As good a passer as he is? 2000 points and 1000 rebounds, only the 4th guy in the B1G ever! Nope...

We prove with pressure he is not a good passer, when teams play off of him, then he is....Stifled by running everything through him. Illini-B/U showed how to disrupt the passing....and yes your points speak to mine...everything through him and he got his.

Well, assuming we keep Ayo and Giorgi, I have always heard that the biggest jump in play is between the freshman and sophomore years. Add Kofi, January for 4 players 6' 10" or taller, and playing over the summer will improve Griffin, Jones, and I will venture the Illini will finish 3 or 4th next year in big 10.

Keep on truckin

joe

Well, assuming we keep Ayo and Giorgi, I have always heard that the biggest jump in play is between the freshman and sophomore years. Add Kofi, January for 4 players 6' 10" or taller, and playing over the summer will improve Griffin, Jones, and I will venture the Illini will finish 3 or 4th next year in big 10.

Keep on truckin

joe
Personally I would be disappointed by third or fourth. Next year may be our best shot with Dre and maybe Ayo leaving.

Personally I would be disappointed by third or fourth. Next year may be our best shot with Dre and maybe Ayo leaving.

Re-assessing, I agree with you Ga. We just beat the 13th and 9th ranked teams in the nation within the past 2 weeks. We have the rest
of this season, next summer, and practices next fall to improve even more. Kane, Jones, and Griffin will certainly be better, so the 3, 4, 5 spots
are looking very solid. I just hope each individual will shoot thousands of shots this summer, under different and adverse conditions.
One can play like the globetrotters, but if the team can not make shots, we lose. That and work on defense.

keep on truckin

joe

We prove with pressure he is not a good passer, when teams play off of him, then he is....Stifled by running everything through him. Illini-B/U showed how to disrupt the passing....and yes your points speak to mine...everything through him and he got his.

Yep, we stifled Happ all the way to a 12 point win for the Badgers. I'll take your bet (gentleman's bet, no crazy $ amounts) that Wisky has a worse record next year than they do this year.

I think the statement that you'd be disappointed with 3rd or 4th is getting ahead of yourself a little bit and frankly a little crazy after how many tournament-less years.

I, without a doubt expect a ton of improvement and hope that we can be there contending at the end of the year, but that takes more than just playing well a night or two and knocking off a couple good teams.

You have to take everyone's best shot night after night. And while many teams are losing more than we are, there is still going to be a lot of talent and experience for us to have to jump.

As I said, I'm hopeful we can compete, but I will also be thrilled with a 3rd or 4th B1G finish.