Basketball Coaching Staff / Coaching Carousel Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a good post Obelix. Groce's first year was composed of Weber recruits dj richardson, b paul, leonard, etc though. Bottom line is that Illinois needs to get dirtier like the rest of the programs that take the talent from Illinois such as Kansas, Duke, Kentucky. Weber had Jerrance Howard and we know how we won when Self was here.

Leonard actually left for the NBA draft before Groce's first season. The level of talent in the Weber-Groce and now BU eras (so far) pales in comparison with the golden eras, with significant positional gaps, with the 2010-11 year the lone exception. Other programs are unfortunately getting stronger in comparison.

Leonard actually left for the NBA draft before Groce's first season. The level of talent in the Weber-Groce and now BU eras (so far) pales in comparison with the golden eras, with significant positional gaps, with the 2010-11 year the lone exception. Other programs are unfortunately getting stronger in comparison.

Right I forgot about Meyers leaving. That team shouldve been sweet 16 without him anyways. The groce speech after that game made me a believer. Regardless, we need Antigua to do what he did at Kentucky in order to get recruits.

Bill's boyish good looks?

tenor.gif

Illinois steadily produces the 3rd largest number of basketball talent, after California and New York (which have much larger populations).
This may have been true 20 years ago, not since. I'm sure some will point to the string of Parker, Okafor, Davis, but quantity wise it has fallen off. Texas has produced twice as many top 100 rsci players as Illinois for over a decade. Go count them. I wouldn't be surprised if Indiana, Michigan, and others have produced more in the last decade.

NC State extended Keatts. Looks like the Keatts Train is staying put in the Raleigh station.

jmilt7

Waukegan
If he goes back to college, I would think he takes over at Minn after the season if lil’ Pitino is fried. He has a lot of connections to the twin cities. However, he doesn’t really like the college game and said as much while at Iowa State. He coached there to cut his chops and ISU knew it wasn’t going to be a long term position for him

Mmmm, fried Pitino

Rick Pitino is reportedly negotiating to become the head coach to one of the best Euroleague teams, Panathinaikos of Greece.

Well guys, let’s here some hot names for our next coaching search. I know Monty Williams and Reggie theus will make the list (y)

We can waive the buyout if someone wants him. We are due for some good luck.

""Here is another Shot in the dark....... by now Brad Underwood realizes he not where he is suppose to be.... and looking to escape!""

Pardon my ignorance, but what does this mean? I mean, I know what it means, but what things about Illinois would someone point to as the reasons why it's not where he's "supposed to be".

""Here is another Shot in the dark....... by now Brad Underwood realizes he not where he is suppose to be.... and looking to escape!""

Pardon my ignorance, but what does this mean? I mean, I know what it means, but what things about Illinois would someone point to as the reasons why it's not where he's "supposed to be".

I do not know about the validity of the original statement (i.e., looking to escape), I have some doubts as BU's value has dropped since coming to Illinois and he is sitting pretty high financially on his contract.

But BU does not seem to be a good fit for Illinois and recruiting is the main reason right now. He would need a drastic turnaround in recruiting to become successful here.

If that rumor is true, I would love to see Roger Powell come in as head coach and bring Chester Frazier with him as an assistant. I am a big believer in having alums coach if it is possible

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
Didn’t anyone watch Underwood's OSU teams? Same thing happened there.

Teams? He only had one team, and he actually made adjustments with that OSU team that allowed them to make a run at the end of the season and make the NCAA tournament. Having Evans helped, yes, but they don't make the tourney without those adjustments. Underwood has failed to adjust here and if he doesn't then he will be looking for another job soon.

Followed along on Twitter. Man. As mentioned above, something is wrong. However, the “fix” will bring us lower than rock bottom (transfers, new staff, new system, starting over with recruiting). But staying the course could continue perpetual bottom feeding (transfers, short term “fixes” in positions of need, stalled recruiting).

The eternal Illini Conundrum

I completely disagree that we can sink any lower. This is a great program, great university and one of the best recruiting regions in the country. They could bring almost anyone in and they will not be as bad as this coaching staff and players are right now. The needle will only go up when someone else come in.

Illinifan533

Normal, Illinois
Is it safe to start discussing potential Illini coaching candidates for the near future? There are the obvious candidates in Musselman and Moser (who the Chicago media loves. How would they balance their hate for Illinois with their love for Moser? :D). We can also safely rule out Marshall as a candidate.

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
UI made a colossal mistake in not firing JG a year earlier and hiring Bryce Drew. It's been one blunder after another for this athletic dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.