Basketball Uniforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyinLex

Kentucky
It is my opinion that the brand revitalization plan the university and athletics adopted has not been successful overall, and done more harm for the brand. I say that not because I dislike the new marks or branding, but the fact that the continual tinkering (orange/blue color value), removing (e.g. shield on FB jersey) and changes (upcoming Men's bball uniforms) over the years has created an inconsistent brand.

The casual fans do not think twice about this stuff, but subconsciously people do remember the details. People who work daily in this particular field (a few on this forum) are the ones that make sure the details matter, and know the importance of brand consistency. Change is good, but change should not be forced. Forced change brings with it rushed decisions, poor research and inconsistency.

The university is steeped in rich history, and there is nothing wrong with tapping into that history to revitalize your brand. Please don't think I am referring to the Chief...the university had a brand before/after him. I understand Nike used the history-methodology to create the new marks, but forcing a new identity through the disguise of history is not the same. There are many talented people at the university within their own walls (or columns) that were/are qualified to take on this important task.

For what it is worth, I actually like the FB uniforms this season, but is that our true orange/blue identity? And what about when the basketball team takes the floor, are they going to match the color values the football team is wearing? And is it the same brand?

Awful. These look just thrown together with little thought or effort. They look like the unofficial sort of knock-off "uniforms" you can buy for a discount. Can we get some Syracuse hand-me-downs still?

Did we hire someone's grandmother to make these? Our high school uni's looked way better. Is this punishment for something - like they could take a six game suspension or wear these uni's? I usually don't care about the uni's at all but this is just a whole lotta nope. I mean they had to have alternatives and someone PICKED this? This was the winner? What did the others look like? Yeeks.

Meh.

It is like we took all of our bball uni sets from the past 15-20 years and threw them into a random uni generator, and this is what popped out. I see elements of Late 1990's, and early/late 2000's in the new white.

I am happy that these are only for a year, but I have little confidence that they will get the new ones right.

Deleted member 29907

D
BUMP FROM FOOTBALL UNI THREAD:

It is my opinion that the brand revitalization plan the university and athletics adopted has not been successful overall, and done more harm for the brand. I say that not because I dislike the new marks or branding, but the fact that the continual tinkering (orange/blue color value), removing (e.g. shield on FB jersey) and changes (upcoming Men's bball uniforms) over the years has created an inconsistent brand.

The casual fans do not think twice about this stuff, but subconsciously people do remember the details. People who work daily in this particular field (a few on this forum) are the ones that make sure the details matter, and know the importance of brand consistency. Change is good, but change should not be forced. Forced change brings with it rushed decisions, poor research and inconsistency.

The university is steeped in rich history, and there is nothing wrong with tapping into that history to revitalize your brand. Please don't think I am referring to the Chief...the university had a brand before/after him. I understand Nike used the history-methodology to create the new marks, but forcing a new identity through the disguise of history is not the same. There are many talented people at the university within their own walls (or columns) that were/are qualified to take on this important task.

For what it is worth, I actually like the FB uniforms this season, but is that our true orange/blue identity? And what about when the basketball team takes the floor, are they going to match the color values the football team is wearing? And is it the same brand?
Yikes
Anyone have any insights as to how this is so messed up across (at least) our two major sports? Inconsistent colors, dull results, etc. Is this Whitman directly? Whitman's reliance on the wrong people? Letting Crayola wielding pre-schoolers into the building without supervision ?

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
Wordmark two-tone slash font "Illinois" replaced by the more aggressive "Fighting Illini" and ditch the "Block I" on the shorts and I'm happy.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
Just caught up. I concur with the majority here...not a fan of these at all. I personally dislike the two-tone Illinois, but, as most have also said, at least the zig-zags are history. I really hope next year is a vast improvement. We should just wear the Fighting Illini throwbacks as our home whites.

illinifaninwi

DeForest, Wisconsin
Just caught up. I concur with the majority here...not a fan of these at all. I personally dislike the two-tone Illinois, but, as most have also said, at least the zig-zags are history. I really hope next year is a vast improvement. We should just wear the Fighting Illini throwbacks as our home whites.

I really don't understand why the Flyin' Illini jerseys can't be our uniform sets now. They are cool and have plenty of credibility with recruits.

That's ultimately a 19-20 question now.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
We should just wear the Fighting Illini throwbacks as our home whites.
I really don't understand why the Flyin' Illini jerseys can't be our uniform sets now. They are cool and have plenty of credibility with recruits.
Third. Would this really be so shameful and embarrassing? To wear our sharpest, best-looking set that resonates with fans and players the most? Someone posted a side-by-side photo awhile ago of the actual jersey from '89 with the current throwback. It's a thoughtful, modernized update of that look. Just roll with it.

Third. Would this really be so shameful and embarrassing? To wear our sharpest, best-looking set that resonates with fans and players the most? Someone posted a side-by-side photo awhile ago of the actual jersey from '89 with the current throwback. It's a thoughtful, modernized update of that look. Just roll with it.

Not necessarily.

I'd like to see it with rebrand fonts just to get a sense of the potential for having our cake and eating it too.

You raise a good point about how different they actually are from the literal physical jersey's worn in 1989 which were an iconic design but kinda shabbily rendered and looked awful once the players got sweaty. The new throwbacks are really top quality. Subtly different than the orange version we wore in 05, for the better.

But anyway, it is rare to have something that both the players and recruits AND the old farts can't get enough of. Not every school has that. That's a gift horse we should at least think twice about looking in the mouth.

I'm not sure I like or dislike the unis revealed. Sometimes I am amazed at how much some people appear to be affected by what our uniforms look like... but then I remember the zigzags, and I remember I'm affected by the same level of antipathy towards those.

A lot of people are questioning why introduce something like this now but why wait if there's even a slight improvement available? It's something new in the wardrobe and recruits and players appreciate that. It gives the players something to be excited about now and it gives everyone a chance to provide feedback before the next roll-out.

lmao. I can't say I care all that much but I am very much here for the two-tone letter backlash.

Lol. Just when I was about to rant about that font/styling...

A different rant: why can we never seem to use the same color of orange across platforms? Heck, even using the same color orange just on this uniform would be nice.

A lot of people are questioning why introduce something like this now but why wait if there's even a slight improvement available? It's something new in the wardrobe and recruits and players appreciate that. It gives the players something to be excited about now and it gives everyone a chance to provide feedback before the next roll-out.

I agree, but it's a little weird that we'll surely be showing these off to our visitors this weekend, and yet their class will never wear these.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Wordmark two-tone slash font "Illinois" replaced by the more aggressive "Fighting Illini" and ditch the "Block I" on the shorts and I'm happy.
I agree with the Fighting Illini. Possible that's still in the fold. This was just one set shown so far. But you need something on the shorts. I like the shield, but don't like that as the look on the shorts. Block I is the only option here.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
The most important thing, did the team like them? How do recruits like them?

jmilt7

Waukegan
I agree, but it's a little weird that we'll surely be showing these off to our visitors this weekend, and yet their class will never wear these.

And doesn't Illinois give the Fighting Illini uniforms to the recruits who come for an OVs? Doesn't that say something too? Presumably they like those uniforms. Maybe, just maybe, we should use them again as our official uniforms?

t7nich

Central IL
Please.

1537543116075.png

Status
Not open for further replies.