Bears / NFL Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will give my thoughts on today's result but I think I'm gonna need a night to sleep on it. Just too many thoughts running through my head right now.

One ugly side of things like this is that there were fans apparently threatening Parkey and his family via social media. I mean you do see that with a lot of athletes in situations like this but also shows the cowardice of some within a fan base.

One suggestion I did see someone mention online was that they should have taken Parkey out of the stadium the same way the Cubs took Bartman out.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Really a disappointing way to end the season. I think many fans deep down knew it might come down to a Parkey kick and we all knew how that was going to go. Really the offense cost the Bears the game. Didn't score much. While it was easy to get excited about the new offense under Nagy this year since it was so much better than what we saw the last three seasons it was pretty pedestrian in production. I think they finished 20th in yardage in the regular season. Hopefully year two of the system will show marked improvement. The defense definitely played well enough to win. Looking to next season, no roster is ever the same two years in a row. I haven't checked for certain but is Trevathan a free agent now? I think Callahan may be as well. They were also fairly fortunate injury-wise this year. Looks like Fangio has a good shot to land a head coaching gig. On the schedule next season are the Cowboys, Eagles, Saints, Rams, Chiefs, and Chargers among others. Also probably a lot of national games.

Deleted member 645583

D
No, Parkey shouldn't get all the blame. He did make 3 fgs. But he shouldn't have been put in a position to win it; the offense should have done a better job scoring. I thought defense gave up too many big plays and interference calls. And that 2-point conversion failure. It would probably be best for Parkey to get away from Chicago, if that's possible, for his mental-health's sake. Here's a guy who broke Kevin Butler's scoring record. I guess that groin injury changed his style.

Deleted member 645583

D
And now we learn that Parkey's kick may have been deflected.

I say touchdowns trump field goals any day: the Eagles had two tds, Bears one.

Cody: hang in there and don't let some vicious, troglodyte Bears' fans (?) bother you - if that's possible.

All 5 losses by the Bears this season were weird, fluky losses. This one was no different.

The Bears outgained Philly by 50 yards and were +2 in turnovers. They only had 3 penalties called all game and they were all on the same defensive possession, resulting in Philly’s first TD. On a rare windless night, O’Donnell nailed punt after punt inside the 20 until the final punt of the game where he only got it to the 40 yard line, giving Philly a short field and leading to their 2nd TD.

I would question the 48-15 pass-run ratio. The only other game this year that bad was the New England game. I’d also question Cohen only getting 4 touches on offense.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
All 5 losses by the Bears this season were weird, fluky losses. This one was no different.

The Bears outgained Philly by 50 yards and were +2 in turnovers. They only had 3 penalties called all game and they were all on the same defensive possession, resulting in Philly’s first TD. On a rare windless night, O’Donnell nailed punt after punt inside the 20 until the final punt of the game where he only got it to the 40 yard line, giving Philly a short field and leading to their 2nd TD.

I would question the 48-15 pass-run ratio. The only other game this year that bad was the New England game. I’d also question Cohen only getting 4 touches on offense.
Yep. That's why I think they will dominate next season. Fewer fluky losses and they are going to be playing pissed off after what happened against Philly. They'll be another year more mature and will at least have an understanding of the intensity it takes to win in the playoffs. Expecting big things.

Deleted member 645583

D
What's the story on Mack? Is he coming back?

By the way, I sent Cody a Christmas card yesterday! I really did. (Christmas for Catholics like me lasts forever it seems and rightly so). Told him HE didn't lose the game. Wished him well. Sent to him c/o Bears office, Lake Forest. Printed on envelope: NOT HATE MAIL with return address label bearing Fred Rogers' picture (courtesy of WTTW). I figure Cody's getting way too much abuse. No one's perfect, not even Robbie Gould.

Didin't they officially rule his FG attempt a block? Sounds like I'm president of his fan club, but he did score 9 of the Bears 15 points.

Last edited by a moderator:

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
it was officially ruled a block. but it doesn't matter. he should have made the kick but the Bears O should have scored more and the D couldn't stop them when they absolutely needed to. It was a total team and coaching loss. Learn and get better

Mack is back for quite a while

Callahan and Amos and Massie are the notable free agents. don't think any other starters are.
Our schedule gets harder with us playing a first place NFC schedule and playing the AFC West (Chargers, Chiefs, Raiders and Broncos) . Going 12-4 next year will be harder than this year , but we should be better. Injury bug could also strike much harder. My guess is Fangio is back as DC

Deleted member 645583

D
it was officially ruled a block. but it doesn't matter. he should have made the kick but the Bears O should have scored more and the D couldn't stop them when they absolutely needed to. It was a total team and coaching loss. Learn and get better

Mack is back for quite a while

Callahan and Amos and Massie are the notable free agents. don't think any other starters are.
Our schedule gets harder with us playing a first place NFC schedule and playing the AFC West (Chargers, Chiefs, Raiders and Broncos) . Going 12-4 next year will be harder than this year , but we should be better. Injury bug could also strike much harder. My guess is Fangio is back as DC
I like your post, but how can he make the kick when it's blocked? I think Cody hooked it a bit, but I think the defender's hand played a part. Thanks for the info.

Why do you think Fangio is back?

Last edited by a moderator:

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
I like your post, but how can he make the kick when it's blocked? I think Cody hooked it a bit, but I think the defender's hand played a part.

blocked or touched kicks usually don't travel all that far. His was touched, no doubt, but that is still a kick that had to be made. Its not worth talking about anymore.
He has some "mental kicking issue " that is effing up his head and seemingly having him focusing on trying to miss the upright so much its actually making him hit it. There is really no other explanation as to how a guy can do it 7 times in 10 weeks , including 4 in one game. it defies all logic and luck .

But I cant see how they can have him back as kicker. They will cut him and he will beat us with the next team he's on with a 55 yarder right down the middle.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
blocked or touched kicks usually don't travel all that far. His was touched, no doubt, but that is still a kick that had to be made. Its not worth talking about anymore.
He has some "mental kicking issue " that is effing up his head and seemingly having him focusing on trying to miss the upright so much its actually making him hit it. There is really no other explanation as to how a guy can do it 7 times in 10 weeks , including 4 in one game. it defies all logic and luck .

But I cant see how they can have him back as kicker. They will cut him and he will beat us with the next team he's on with a 55 yarder right down the middle.

I dunno, I think he just isn't all that good. His track record is okay, but signing him to that big contract was a mistake. You can find kickers. The ones you spend money on are physical freaks or utterly proven nails clutch guys. Parkey was inarguably neither.

And yeah, it's time to move on. Nagy's face BEFORE sending him out there said it all, and his face afterwards said it again, even louder.

Mack signed a six year extension with the Bears right after the trade. That extension was on top of the last year of his existing contact. So Mack is under contract with the Bears for 6 more season.

Didin't they officially rule his FG attempt a block? Sounds like I'm president of his fan club, but he did score 9 of the Bears 15 points.
People blaming Parkey for that loss are just trying to rationalize a loss that should be put on the coaches. Cohen is the most electric player on the field, yet had 4 offensive touches. Offensive play calling was suspect at best. It's hard to win any football game scoring one touchdown. As you said, and regardless of what other's think, even if he just grazed the ball on the kick, it affected the flight. Heck, maybe it was going to sail wide and the touch caused it to bend back inwards. It doesn't matter though, because neither losing the game nor missing that kick was Parkey's fault.

That being said, the Bears need to cut him and they should've done it during the season. It's heavily unfortunate that kick hit the upright, but he obviously has accuracy issues. Elite kickers are hard to find, but good kickers are a dime a dozen. The falcons lost Matt Bryant (arguably a top 5 kicker in the league right now) for a few games and snagged Giorgio Tavecchio off the streets. he proceeds to win special team player of the week one of the weeks he played. They're out there, you just need the scouting to recognize who to actually sign.

Deleted member 645583

D

I don't see it as a blocked kick. I see it as a deflection, much like hockey when a deflection means all the world. I agree: let's drop this issue.

As for the free agents, Callahan will be a big loss. (Assuming he goes somewhere else.) But McMannis was really good filling in for him. Bush can probably take Amos’ spot. Witzman, who did a nice job subbing for Long (honestly never really noticed Long was gone) is a natural tackle and can probably take over the starting spot for Massie.

I think the biggest potential offseason loss would be if Fangio gets a HC gig. But the plus aspect to that is that the Bears would have to be the single most attractive DC position in the League (talent level combined with relative job security - the HC and GM aren’t going anywhere) and they should have their choice of candidates.

Deleted member 645583

D
But I can't. Eagles said they saw Cody barely make the uprights before the timeout; and they knew, in their infinIite
wisdom, he would over-juice the next attempt.

Maybe so.

AGAIN: PARKEY DIDN'T LOSE THE GAME FOR DA BEARS!

Pax et bonum.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
I like your post, but how can he make the kick when it's blocked? I think Cody hooked it a bit, but I think the defender's hand played a part. Thanks for the info.

Why do you think Fangio is back?
I think Denver is interviewing him for show. fully half the candidates interviewed for any HC gig in the NFL are done for show - to cya for the league and for any potential legal action .

60 year old guys with no HC experience are just not a hot item in that league. The flavor of the day is the young offensive minded guy. The trend of high scoring games in college is making its way to the pros. it used to be a team needed a guy who had been around awhile because the coach needed to do a fair amount of admin stuff. Now NFL teams have full time staffs 20x larger than 30 years ago. The coaches are really free to game plan and coach with almost all their time. 35 year old guys have proven they can do it. For the most part , the ship has sailed for guys like Vic. But their will always be exceptions, so how knows for sure

just my opinion. tifwiw.

Deleted member 645583

D
Mack signed a six year extension with the Bears right after the trade. That extension was on top of the last year of his existing contact. So Mack is under contract with the Bears for 6 more season.
Was he a factor in Sunday's game? Some are saying he was a no-show. I was somewhere without electrical television coverage. Enlighten me, please. Thanks.

Di
Was he a factor in Sunday's game? Some are saying he was a no-show. I was somewhere without electrical television coverage. Enlighten me, please. Thanks.

Didn’t have a big stat game but he still made an impact. Proof of that all year in Leonard Floyd becoming a beast. He makes everyone better whether he makes 0 tackles or 20.

Mack did fine. The double teams on him left Hicks free to decimate the Eagles’ running game.

The defense played really well. There was the one drive with the three penalties and the other drive with the short field. That’s how Philly scored their two TDs. Considering they were missing 2 of their 3 best d-backs, that was a pretty good performance.

It was really on the offense (how do you rack up 350 yards, no turnovers and no penalties, but only score 15 points?) and special teams (bad punt and missed field goal).

Deleted member 645583

D
These Bears will learn, I hope, how to win the BIG ONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.