Bears / NFL Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

South Farms

near Ogden & Rt 83
a couple things I have heard discussed to make ties less likely .
This is a whole 'nother discussion from the OT format, but might make the OT less likely:
a. change the chip shot field goal of less than 25 yards from spot of kick to end line to 2pts
b. keep field goals between 25-60 yards to 3pts
c. enourage field goals of over 60 yards to 4 points

the actual kick off to start the game, the 2nd half and after scores has been widely discussed already as a overly dangerous part of the game.
The day is coming where it will be eliminated - thus the discussion below

new OT format
So in the OT period , let both teams get the ball at least once. None of this first TD wins stuff.
Instead of getting the ball on your own 25 like now when the ball is kicked thru the endzone, give the teams the ball at their own 40 , and coaching strategy with regards to what to do with it when you only need to get 20 yards to be in kicking distance will be interesting.
A twist on the college rules but different in that you aren't given the ball in scoring position.

If still tied after each team has one possession, its time for another possession - kinda like college , but again scoring isn't almost assured like it is on college and why those 4-5-6 OT games occur once a year.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
This is a whole 'nother discussion from the OT format, but might make the OT less likely:
a. change the chip shot field goal of less than 25 yards from spot of kick to end line to 2pts

the actual kick off to start the game, the 2nd half and after scores has been widely discussed already as a overly dangerous part of the game.

new OT format
So in the OT period , let both teams get the ball at least once. None of this first TD wins stuff.
Instead of getting the ball on your own 25 like now when the ball is kicked thru the endzone, give the teams the ball at their own 40 , and coaching strategy with regards to what to do with it when you only need to get 20 yards to be in kicking distance will be interesting.
A twist on the college rules but different in that you aren't given the ball in scoring position.

If still tied after each team has one possession, its time for another possession - kinda like college , but again scoring isn't almost assured like it is on college and why those 4-5-6 OT games occur once a year.
I was thinking about this type of overtime, my question, wouldn't that push a lot of over/under bets to the over? Overtime doesn't happen a lot, and from your own 40, scoring would be much less than college. However, the other concern would be the length of the game, a competitive overtime could really mess up the TV schedule.

new OT format

I feel like reducing the chip shot FG to 2pts discounts the value of the entire drive.

Verbal agreement in place to send Antonio Brown to the Raiders for a 3rd and 5th round pick. Brown will receive a new 3-year deal upon joining Oakland that is worth $54.125 million with $30.125 million guaranteed. Brown's previous contract with the Steelers had 3 years and $38.9 million left with none of that money guaranteed.

Bears have re-signed TE Ben Braunecker to a two-year deal.

And although the signings can't become official until the new league year opens Wednesday, they do have a couple of signings they've reportedly made:
-RB Mike Davis. 2 years, $6 million (could go up to $7 million with incentives). Lot of talk I've seen online is him potentially being 3rd down RB to replace Cunningham/Mizell.
-CB Buster Skrine. 3 years, $16.5 million ($8.5 million guaranteed). Likely means the end of Bryce Callahan's time in Chicago.

I feel like reducing the chip shot FG to 2pts discounts the value of the entire drive.

Agreed. Imagine someone running 3 yards back to take a knee on third down so they field goal attempt would be a short 3 pointer instead of a long 2. That's just inane.

If anything, flip it so short FGs are worth more than long ones. But really, just keep all FGs the same.

2015 #7 overall pick Kevin White to Arizona.

Todd Gurley/Melvin Gordon or: How I Learned to Stop Caring About the Bears and Love the Chaos.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
It's a loss but I'm pretty meh on it. Green Bay overpaid for a guy that's not better than what they had with Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

Yeah, GB overpaid, no doubt. For that price, I agree with Pace. Clinton-Dix is a very good value signing. My initial post was a shock thing, as I expected Amos back after losing Callahan.

NFL made the announcement today at their annual meetings that Packers at Bears will open the season on Thursday, September 5th with the Patriots set to open the season at home the following Sunday night against an opponent to be determined. Given it's the league's 100th season as well as the Bears 100th season, it doesn't surprise me that they'd want to showcase one of the greatest rivalries in football.

The full 2019 schedule is set to be released next month.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Bears 100th season. Super Bowl will be played on Papa Bear Hals' Birthday. This is our year my friends. (that was typed in my biggest Bears meatball fan voice)

Status
Not open for further replies.