NFL Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
While I'm generally a fan of Arkush when he sticks to football, when he gets into politics he's pretty dumb. While he is correct that Kaepernick is free from recrimination from the government in expressing his political beliefs, none of us are free from penalty from our employers for our political speech or actions.

While I'm generally a fan of Arkush when he sticks to football, when he gets into politics he's pretty dumb.

Are you saying that he's pretty dumb because he has a different political viewpoint than your own? I'm genuinely curious.

And while it's true that none of us are free from penalty for our own political speech or actions by our employers, we aren't in the same position that these professional athletes. Athletes have used their position to be agents of social change in this country for decades.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Are you saying that he's pretty dumb because he has a different political viewpoint than your own? I'm genuinely curious.

And while it's true that none of us are free from penalty for our own political speech or actions by our employers, we aren't in the same position that these professional athletes. Athletes have used their position to be agents of social change in this country for decades.
I think the point I made is self-evident. Kaepernick performed his political action on the field and was penalized by his employers. Personally I don't think kneeling during the anthem is necessarily disrespectful. I think Tim Tebow kneeled and prayed during the anthem. I don't think the anthem needs to be played before sporting events either. But it's silly to think that you have free speech rights from your employer while on the job. It's clear that you don't.

DReq

Always Illini
Central Illinois
I think the point I made is self-evident. Kaepernick performed his political action on the field and was penalized by his employers. Personally I don't think kneeling during the anthem is necessarily disrespectful. I think Tim Tebow kneeled and prayed during the anthem. I don't think the anthem needs to be played before sporting events either. But it's silly to think that you have free speech rights from your employer while on the job. It's clear that you don't.

Trying not to beat this horse to long but there is a difference when a single employer (team) takes action and when an entire industry acts in concert to deny that person a job. I know the First Amendment doesn't cover private action but there is a point there that is different when an entire industry of so-called independent employers simply denies employment in concert. No matter what you think about his politics, it is a whole different animal.

I know the First Amendment doesn't cover private action but there is a point there that is different when an entire industry of so-called independent employers simply denies employment in concert. No matter what you think about his politics, it is a whole different animal.

Exactly. If it was just one team saying they wouldn't sign him because of what he's done, that'd be one thing. But if you're getting blackballed by an entire league, that's an entirely different situation. Especially when you consider guys like Nathan Peterman, Matt Barkley, and David Fales can still have jobs.

Rams making a couple deals involving corners. They sent Marcus Peters to the Ravens for linebacker Kenny Young and a 2020 fifth round pick.

They then turned around and acquired Jalen Ramsey from the Jags for first round picks in 2020 and 2021 and a 4th round pick in 2021.

Well, another pathetic showing by the Bears offense in the 1st half. If not for a couple stops by the defense and the kickoff return TD by Patterson, this game could be looking a lot worse. Bears should consider themselves lucky to only be down 2 at half.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.