NFL Thread 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Hunt's "transgressions" were of the physical assault of a woman variety. To get specific, he was caught on video shoving a woman to the ground and kicking her. The fact that Hunt has a contract and Kaepernick is unemployed says a lot about the values of the NFL (and many of its fans).

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor." ~Desmond Tutu

tenor.gif
I wouldn't throw the fans under the bus. What is a fan supposed to do, quit rooting for their favorite team whenever they sign an unsavory person? Let's all quit being fans then.

I wouldn't throw the fans under the bus. What is a fan supposed to do, quit rooting for their favorite team whenever they sign an unsavory person? Let's all quit being fans then.

I'm not calling for a boycott or whatnot of the team, but much like the situation with various Cub players over the years (e.g., Milton Bradley, Aroldis Chapman, Addison Russell, etc...) it is important to vocalize disapproval. And when fans don't voice that, it signals tolerance of that behavior being rewarded.

Similarly, if the Bears signed Kaepernick, I imagine you and I would be on opposite ends of the support spectrum, but I would respect your right to speak that disapproval. And yet, we'd still be fans of the team.

I think the conventional wisdom held by the NFL and many media talking heads is that the average fan will tolerate his favorite team signing a domestic abuser, but will go apebleep if his team signs Colin Kaepernick.

I personally think that conventional wisdom is not true and doesn’t give the average football fan enough credit to the point of being pretty insulting.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I'm not calling for a boycott or whatnot of the team, but much like the situation with various Cub players over the years (e.g., Milton Bradley, Aroldis Chapman, Addison Russell, etc...) it is important to vocalize disapproval. And when fans don't voice that, it signals tolerance of that behavior being rewarded.

Similarly, if the Bears signed Kaepernick, I imagine you and I would be on opposite ends of the support spectrum, but I would respect your right to speak that disapproval. And yet, we'd still be fans of the team.
I see what you are saying but I don't think it's the fans' responsibility to voice disapproval but they have the option to do so if they feel the need. It might surprise you to know that I feel that Kaepernick has been treated unfairly by the NFL by blackballing him but I do think as his employer they had the right to dictate certain behavior during the anthem. I think both sides have acted poorly throughout the entire episode.

I see what you are saying but I don't think it's the fans' responsibility to voice disapproval but they have the option to do so if they feel the need. It might surprise you to know that I feel that Kaepernick has been treated unfairly by the NFL by blackballing him but I do think as his employer they had the right to dictate certain behavior during the anthem. I think both sides have acted poorly throughout the entire episode.

It does and I appreciate your honesty.

giphy.gif

Kaepernick and Hunt are 2 completely separate situations. Hunt committed a crime, Kap was "standing up" for his rights. As a retired Air Force member, I defend Kap for his right to do what he did, although I don't agree with it one bit. Employers have the right to hire and fire employees and Kap was an employee. At my current job if I said or did something against company policy, I can get fired for it and other companies can hire or not hire me after the fact. If he was being blackballed he brought that upon himself.

Kaepernick and Hunt are 2 completely separate situations. Hunt committed a crime, Kap was "standing up" for his rights. As a retired Air Force member, I defend Kap for his right to do what he did, although I don't agree with it one bit. Employers have the right to hire and fire employees and Kap was an employee. At my current job if I said or did something against company policy, I can get fired for it and other companies can hire or not hire me after the fact. If he was being blackballed he brought that upon himself.

An employer can decide to fire an employee. That’s not what happened though. Kaepernick’s exercised an option in his contract and became a free agent. A bad move on his part, surely.

All employers in a field cannot band together and choose not to hire an employee. That’s restraint of trade, an anti-trust violation. Kaepernick has alleged that is what the NFL teams did when he was unable to get a free agent contract. The NFL owners settled a lawsuit with him.

The allegation from Kaepernick’s side is that this tryout was a sham meant to fulfill a term of that lawsuit settlement without giving him a real tryout. I have no idea of the truth of that allegation.

While I'm not a big Stephen A Smith fan, his take on the Kaepernick tryout is pretty much where I stand on the matter.

I feel like Kaepernick is/was his own worst enemy in this situation. I spent some time searching but could find nothing that said the workout was mandated as part of the settlement.

This is another interesting discussion between Stephen A and Terrell Owens about the tryout.

At this point, it is what it is. I do not expect to see Kaepernick in the NFL, ever again.

Deleted member 645583

D
Kinda funny.

I attended the Great Lakes Catholic Men's Conference at NIU today.

One of the speakers was Kevin Matthews (aka Jim Shorts) of radio fame.

He was speaking of heaven and hell. He said he had tickets to this Sunday's Bears' game. He added: "That's hell!"

But he spoke so highly of Chicago the city and its sports teams.

Go Bears!

P.S. I'm spoiled: had the great pleasure of watching Sayers and Butkus! What a draft. George Halas for president!

Last edited by a moderator:

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Ok I'm going to start my complaining early. First Bears' drive, third and two, they have Cohen as the only running back and they throw an incomplete pass. Why not have Montgomery in there and try to run for two measly yards?

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
What a ludicrous hands to the face call against Leno. Also we can complain about Trubisky all we want and there's a lot there, but this running game continues to be godawful and we need to be honest, the wide receivers have been terrible this year and there are no decent tight ends on the roster.

Deleted member 645583

D
Bears aren't stupid in the wild, but they sure are in Chicago: just kick the lousy exrtra point, forget the nonsense! What? Youre playing for a tie?

Deleted member 645583

D
Bears aren't stupid in the wild, but they sure are in Chicago: just kick the lousy exrtra point, forget the nonsense! What? Youre playing for a tie?

Deleted member 645583

D
Need a good QB! This guy doesn't cut it. He's hurting this team

Another lackluster win. Every team not named the Redskins has had their way with the Giants awful defense. The visor-wearing Trestman clone could only muster up 19 points.

Eddie Jackson has been very average all year. His playmaking ability has apparently died.

Good thing the Giants kicker sucks or this would have been quite the humiliating loss. It feels like one anyway to be honest

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Two bad teams going at it. Offense still can't score 20 against the worst defenses. Coaching staff cooks up new ways to look stupid each week.

Deleted member 645583

D
Just wondering. Fumbles, missed tackles, INTs are part of football.

Did Sayers and Payton ever fumble? I suppose so. Got to do some research. Is there a stat - fumbles per carry? Was Sayers ever really tackled? I'm kidding. The Kansas Comet! And Sweetness!

Something called a David Blough is starting for the Lions at qb tomorrow.

The Bears probably only need to score 17 to win. Can they do it?

Tune in for what is likely the Bears’ last win of the season. 6-10 here we come!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.