Beer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champaignillini

C
http://www.economist.com/business/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11735531

Belgian giant InBev has offered a $52 billion deal for Anhueser Bush.

The new company will be the world's largest brewery by far, producing an estimated 460 million hectoliters of beer annually. Its expected annual revenue of euro26.6 billion, or about $42.4 billion, would put it ahead of competitor SABMiller.

illini4everjp

I
Re: Anheuser Busch to be taken over by InBev

I'm not really happy about that. I'll be drinking Miller Lite until I stop caring about this deal, so like 2-3 weeks.

Champaignillini

C

Wasn't Miller also taken over by a foreign company a couple of years back ? I'm not sure about it though.

One thing that I'm sure about is that InBev won't dare to change anything about Budweiser and Budlight.

illini4everjp

I

Damn, yep, its English now. Ok, Coors Light, here I come (again, until I get over it, then its back to Bud Light.)

The new company will be the world's largest brewery by far, producing an estimated 460 million hectoliters of beer annually. Its expected annual revenue of euro26.6 billion, or about $42.4 billion, would put it ahead of competitor SABMiller.
That's about 100 billion pints per year, for those keeping track at home, or close to a billion full kegs. Also, $42.4 billion is greater than the GDP of countries like Serbia or Bulgaria, and it's over four times the GDP of Afghanistan.

Damn, yep, its English now. Ok, Coors Light, here I come (again, until I get over it, then its back to Bud Light.)
But Pete Coors hates freedom!

OlivetNaz

O

Wasn't Miller also taken over by a foreign company a couple of years back ? I'm not sure about it though.

One thing that I'm sure about is that InBev won't dare to change anything about Budweiser and Budlight.

I don't drink alcoholic beverages...so this doesn't really affect what I buy and don't buy. HOWEVER...

I disagree with you that InBev won't change anything. They may have "promised" not to lay off anyone or change anything. Who's to stop them from breaking that promise once the deal is complete?

InBev's track record in past buyouts and takeovers has basically been to cut as many jobs and positions as possible from the company that just got taken over so as to have as little an overlap in their company as possible. I have no reason to believe they won't do the same thing with Anheuser-Busch....and if they do, St. Louis would experience a fairly steep decline - especially in terms of psychology.

fightingillini fan 4-ever

F

Ah, Sam Adams... great beer, makes me thirsty thinking about it. Cant drink on duty though.

Champaignillini

C

Even Coors is now in a joint venture with Miller (called MillerCoors), with the latter being the majority partner. Your options are getting fewer and fewer as we speak :)

illini4everjp

I

Even Coors is now in a joint venture with Miller (called MillerCoors), with the latter being the majority partner. Your options are getting fewer and fewer as we speak :)

But Pete Coors hates freedom!

What about Old Style? Is that still ok?

Maybe I'll buy one of those kits where you make beer in your bathtub.

StylinIllini

S

What about Old Style? Is that still ok?

Maybe I'll buy one of those kits where you make beer in your bathtub.

Goose Island (recommend: 312)!!!

Think locally, drink locally.

illini4everjp

I

Love the Goose Island 312, definitely one of my favorite beers.

And while not local, always been a fan of Le Fin du Monde

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ

I went to the Goose Island Brewpub/Restaurant this past weekend and enjoyed a glass of "Liquid Inspiration" (their version of a stout). Good stuff!

JP, I'd stick to microbrews. They're better, anyway.

IlliniAnge

I

Uh, no. It's Molson Coors Brweing Co., with Eric Molson being the Chairman.

Auggie24601

A

Uh, yes, it appears Grad may have gotten it right:

http://molsoncoors.com/newsroom/pre...d-molson-coors-announce-launch-of-millercoors

In any event, the fact that a non-American corporation now owns the majority of Budweiser shares means little to the American national identity. Although I do remember our old Zenith television. And Buick. And apple pie.

bmb777

B

I don't drink alcoholic beverages...so this doesn't really affect what I buy and don't buy. HOWEVER...

I disagree with you that InBev won't change anything. They may have "promised" not to lay off anyone or change anything. Who's to stop them from breaking that promise once the deal is complete?

InBev's track record in past buyouts and takeovers has basically been to cut as many jobs and positions as possible from the company that just got taken over so as to have as little an overlap in their company as possible. I have no reason to believe they won't do the same thing with Anheuser-Busch....and if they do, St. Louis would experience a fairly steep decline - especially in terms of psychology.

I dont think they will really change anything. they would be stupid if they do. I'm sure they know there are and will be a lot of people who are not happy with the merger, so if they would change things, they would know that probably a lot of people would no longer drink any A-B products and they would take a big hit in sales. they will be in debt after the takeover, so they will have to make that money back they spent to take them over. if a large mass of people no longer would drink A-B products then they wouldnt make that money back very quick.

they were smart enough to call the new company Anheuser Busch Inbev, instead of Inbev Anheuser Busch.

mikeinchicago

M

I think Bud bought a majority interest in Goose Island last year.

illini4everjp

I

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-ap-millercoors-headquarters,0,3587821.story

MILWAUKEE (AP) _ The new MillerCoors joint venture will be based in downtown Chicago, company officials said Tuesday, choosing a neutral site to the home city of either individual brewer.MillerCoors decided not to settle in Milwaukee, where SABMiller PLC's Miller Brewing Co. is based, or in Golden, Colo., the home of Molson Coors Brewing Co.

The company's president, Tom Long, cited Chicago's "access to an attractive base of talent, transportation and business resources."
Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley said the move reinforces Chicago's commitment to businesses both large and small.

"The company's decision to locate its headquarters here strengthens our reputation as a world-class city in which to conduct business and confirms that Chicago is a great place to live, work and raise a family," he said.

MillerCoors said early on it wanted to settle in a neutral site, but officials pledged to maintain a strong presence in each hometown.
Suck on that, Milwaukee!

Auggie24601

A
Re: MillerCoors moves to Chicago; AB sold to InBev

More jobs in state, the better.

fightingillini fan 4-ever

F
Re: MillerCoors moves to Chicago; AB sold to InBev

Hey, anyone try the Budlight lime. Im not a Bud fan but BL lime is good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.