Beer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
If you come across any beers from BarrelHouse Brewing Co., just down the road from Firestone Walker, grab em. I visited both and thought BH put out a higher quality product. FW has a much larger marketing footprint though.
I have E not seen the Barrelhouse stuff here in AZ yet but if I do I will give it a try.

Buck Turgidson

Massachusetts
Another "find" during my stint out east was Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. in Elmsford, NY. Very friendly staff in a funky industrial area (Google maps had a little trouble finding it). The Saturday afternoon crowd of locals made it even better. Try the Smoked Porter and Hop Commander IPA, both were top notch.

Hop Commander is terrific - I agree.

It is amazing how much good beer there is these days. Proliferation of microbreweries in NE (and those I get when I come back to the Midwest) is a very nice trend. Prices are up there, but quality and variety are so good.

Also - if you or others get to Yale, there is a great pub right across from the green called Richter's. It is the old Yale Rowing Club. They serve half yards of good beers and pub food. A block away there is Yale Art Museum (free admission) that is impressively large and well stocked. And as you mention the campus has a lot of history. When my oldest daughter was little, we'd go into the school buildings and just explore (old auditoriums, small classrooms, a warren of hallways and stairwells). It's a nice campus...but don't get lost in New Haven

Last edited:

Illinell

'03 IMPE All Star
Bridgeport, Chicago
I just waited in a two hour line to buy beers called Broccoli, Cheddar, and Cabbage....true story.

Oh, and they're all delicious!!

bdutts

Houston, Texas
I just waited in a two hour line to buy beers called Broccoli, Cheddar, and Cabbage....true story.

Oh, and they're all delicious!!

Where did you get those?

Illinell

'03 IMPE All Star
Bridgeport, Chicago
Where did you get those?

Other Half in Brooklyn.

Great place. I ended up buying too much, so happy to do trades or something like that if anyone is interested.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Other Half in Brooklyn.

Great place. I ended up buying too much, so happy to do trades or something like that if anyone is interested.

What kind of beers are those? Did a quick search and didn't find much info on them.

Illinell

'03 IMPE All Star
Bridgeport, Chicago
What kind of beers are those? Did a quick search and didn't find much info on them.

This place is all about IPAs and stouts for the most part. Everything they do is small batch and either keg or 16oz can. They don't do much online, but if you're on Instagram you can check them out.

Finback is another BK brewery that is blowing up that is primarily on Instagram.

Illinell

'03 IMPE All Star
Bridgeport, Chicago
For those of you who might like big, NE style IPAs, try Noon Whistle in Lombard. They are making really good beer.

As a FYI, NE style IPAs are cloudy, usually pretty strong beers. The Alchemist has Heady Topper, Equilibrium, Other Half, etc. are making these types of beer and are getting very popular because of it.

Try it out.

icengineer

Southern Illinois
For those of you who might like big, NE style IPAs, try Noon Whistle in Lombard. They are making really good beer.

As a FYI, NE style IPAs are cloudy, usually pretty strong beers. The Alchemist has Heady Topper, Equilibrium, Other Half, etc. are making these types of beer and are getting very popular because of it.

Try it out.

Are you able to get Heady Topper?

Illinell

'03 IMPE All Star
Bridgeport, Chicago
Are you able to get Heady Topper?

At times, but not very frequently. I live in NYC, so there are always places willing to charge an arm and a leg for it:)

It's amazing, and there are others catching up.

From what I've heard, Noon Whistle is a solid offering for NE style IPAs if you're looking for something along those lines.

Buck Turgidson

Massachusetts
At times, but not very frequently. I live in NYC, so there are always places willing to charge an arm and a leg for it:)

It's amazing, and there are others catching up.

From what I've heard, Noon Whistle is a solid offering for NE style IPAs if you're looking for something along those lines.

Had a very good APA this weekend. Clown Shoes Baked Goods. Was dry and hoppy and better than their IPA. From Ipswich MA. Hadn;t seen them in stores before so maybe they're branching out

Status
Not open for further replies.