Beer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
I grabbed a mix-a-four set of big bottles at one of the local places with craft beers out here, all 4 beers from breweries on the Pacific coast, 3 stouts/porters and an IPA. One of them is a local place in Palo Alto, so I'm looking forward to trying out some new brews.

Huizy2

Ballwin, MO
Sitting in BJ's Brewhouse in Dublin, CA having one of their PM Porters. For a chain their beer is pretty good.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
This was my haul this past Friday:

Attachments

• IMG_0229[1].JPG
    IMG_0229[1].JPG
    2 MB · Views: 224

Ryllini

Lombard
For you that enjoy Porters, Rock Bottoms throughout the nation are featuring "Moon Light Porter". One of their California brewers took it to the Great American Beer Festival and took 1st place in what I assume was the porter division in the brewpub group. The winning brewer shared the recipe with all of the other brewers throughout the nation. I am not huge on porters, but it is quite tasty.

Huizy2

Ballwin, MO
Am in San Diego on business this week. My brother has made a batch of nut brown ale to have while I am here. Will crack open the first one tonight.

Illinell

'03 IMPE All Star
Bridgeport, Chicago
Went to the store yesterday (in Brooklyn) and surprise, surprise, Bell's now distributes to NYC. I picked up 3 six packs of Hop Slam and another of Two Hearted.

We're having a brewing party this weekend at our place (my wife will brew, I won't) and I plan on trading some hop slams for some Heady Toppers. Ooooh it will be amazing.

Bells makes some good beer! My daughter happened to be in Kalamazoo for a business trip and went to the brewery 3 nights straight. She loved all of their beers. I got a T-shirt :whoo:

Buck Turgidson

Massachusetts
Sitting here in Bangalore India enjoying a Kingfisher. It really is not a bad beer. Best very cold, slightly sweet.

Also recently tried a Sam Adams Rebel IPA - surprisingly good

Over holiday break I enjoyed a fair bit of Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout, Harpoon IPA, Red Hook Long Hammer IPA, and a Porter from the Northeast that I cannot recall what it's called.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
We have a local restaurant that has 30-40 craft brews on tap that they rotate on a regular basis. We went there over the weekend and I ordered the Clown Shoes Tramp Stamp. When I ordered it, our waitress gave me a strange look and thought I was messing with her. I had to point to it on their beer menu for her to believe me that I wasn't joking. When she finally brought it to me she said "Here's your 'made up' beer." :D

BTW - it was quite tasty.

Sitting here in Bangalore India enjoying a Kingfisher. It really is not a bad beer. Best very cold, slightly sweet.

Also recently tried a Sam Adams Rebel IPA - surprisingly good

Over holiday break I enjoyed a fair bit of Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout, Harpoon IPA, Red Hook Long Hammer IPA, and a Porter from the Northeast that I cannot recall what it's called.

If you like stouts there is one brewed in Sri Lanka that should be readily available where you are at. It's called Lion Stout. It's touted as a less expensive Guinness and is actually quite good. I've been able to find it fairly easily here in the states at many larger stores like Total Wine & More. I first found it at one of the Randalls stores in the St Louis area. And just like the Guinness Stout I prefer their canned version over the bottle.

Buck Turgidson

Massachusetts
If you like stouts there is one brewed in Sri Lanka that should be readily available where you are at. It's called Lion Stout. It's touted as a less expensive Guinness and is actually quite good. I've been able to find it fairly easily here in the states at many larger stores like Total Wine & More. I first found it at one of the Randalls stores in the St Louis area. And just like the Guinness Stout I prefer their canned version over the bottle.

Thanks, AZ. I have not seen that here in Bangalore (I come here on business a few times a year), but will ask.

Usually beverage of choice when I'm here is either Kingfisher or single malts. We polished off a bottle of duty-free Talisker 2 nights ago. yum

Thanks, AZ. I have not seen that here in Bangalore (I come here on business a few times a year), but will ask.

Usually beverage of choice when I'm here is either Kingfisher or single malts. We polished off a bottle of duty-free Talisker 2 nights ago. yum

So what is/are the single malt(s) you are referring to? Aside from Talisker, which I've never had. Anything local or are all of them duty free imports? I have no clue what sorts of hard liquor might be distilled in that area.

Never had a Kingfisher. What would you compare it to? My default source for beers I've yet to taste or am considering buying is Beer Advocate and Rate Beer, and they only rate it 2 and 3 out of 5 stars so I'd not seek it out personally. Of course if I were there I'd probably be drinking mostly that just because it's sort of a 'when in Rome, drink what the Romans .....?" sort of thing. :D

Buck Turgidson

Massachusetts
So what is/are the single malt(s) you are referring to? Aside from Talisker, which I've never had. Anything local or are all of them duty free imports? I have no clue what sorts of hard liquor might be distilled in that area.

Never had a Kingfisher. What would you compare it to? My default source for beers I've yet to taste or am considering buying is Beer Advocate and Rate Beer, and they only rate it 2 and 3 out of 5 stars so I'd not seek it out personally. Of course if I were there I'd probably be drinking mostly that just because it's sort of a 'when in Rome, drink what the Romans .....?" sort of thing. :D

Single malt scotches - usually a good selection at the airports here or London or Paris. Talisker (Isle of Skye) is very peaty. Macallan (Speyside) is probs my favorite, and is much different from Talisker. Jura, Glenfiddich, Oban, and many of the others are also available.

As far as Kingfisher. I would call it a poor man's Pilsner Urquell (I'm drawing a blank on a truly similar beer). It is thinner and not nearly as good as Pilsner Urquell, but is a similar sweetish pilsner. The times I've bought in the US it was noticeably different - less flavor than what I get here, and as I said it really needs to be cold - as it warms the sweetness gets to be too much

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
Single malt scotches - usually a good selection at the airports here or London or Paris. Talisker (Isle of Skye) is very peaty. Macallan (Speyside) is probs my favorite, and is much different from Talisker. Jura, Glenfiddich, Oban, and many of the others are also available.

As far as Kingfisher. I would call it a poor man's Pilsner Urquell (I'm drawing a blank on a truly similar beer). It is thinner and not nearly as good as Pilsner Urquell, but is a similar sweetish pilsner. The times I've bought in the US it was noticeably different - less flavor than what I get here, and as I said it really needs to be cold - as it warms the sweetness gets to be too much

For scotch, I'm big into Lismore right now. It's a Speyside--real peaty with a lot of other subtle textures. The 12 year is great, the 18 is absolute heaven. I think my description after having had more than a few was "like drinking from the grave of a Scottish lord"

Buck Turgidson

Massachusetts
For scotch, I'm big into Lismore right now. It's a Speyside--real peaty with a lot of other subtle textures. The 12 year is great, the 18 is absolute heaven. I think my description after having had more than a few was "like drinking from the grave of a Scottish lord"

I'll have to try that - I don't know if I've seen that one. But in a few days...

Some friends and I (4 of us) polished off most of 3 bottles the other night. Next day was rough. I think I'll give my liver a week to toughen back up

I'll have to try that - I don't know if I've seen that one. But in a few days...

Some friends and I (4 of us) polished off most of 3 bottles the other night. Next day was rough. I think I'll give my liver a week to toughen back up

Funny isn't it? The good stuff always seems to go quickly. :huh:

bdutts

Houston, Texas

How would that compare to the Lagavulin series? the people that I speak to over here and my Scotch loving friends in the US rave about it. I will say that I like both peaty and non-peaty. For example, I love Oban 14 but I have also had some of the peaty stuff, too and I like that as well.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
How would that compare to the Lagavulin series? the people that I speak to over here and my Scotch loving friends in the US rave about it. I will say that I like both peaty and non-peaty. For example, I love Oban 14 but I have also had some of the peaty stuff, too and I like that as well.

First off, I'm not much of a scotch aficionado. I know what I like and what I don't like. I've drifted toward single malts in recent years and really enjoy them, and the last time I had JW Black label I didn't care for it. I'm also not particularly a fan of Canadians or bourbons, but I can do with a good Irish or rye from time to time.

Having said that, I have to correct my earlier post--the scotch that I *should have been* evangelizing was Laphroaig (an Islay), not Lismore. Laphroaig is probably the peatiest I've ever had, but it has tons of other textures in there. It's almost as pleasurable just to smell it as it is to taste it.

First off, I'm not much of a scotch aficionado. I know what I like and what I don't like. I've drifted toward single malts in recent years and really enjoy them, and the last time I had JW Black label I didn't care for it. I'm also not particularly a fan of Canadians or bourbons, but I can do with a good Irish or rye from time to time.

Having said that, I have to correct my earlier post--the scotch that I *should have been* evangelizing was Laphroaig (an Islay), not Lismore. Laphroaig is probably the peatiest I've ever had, but it has tons of other textures in there. It's almost as pleasurable just to smell it as it is to taste it.

Laphroaig is the peatiest you'll find. But Lagavulin is pretty peaty as well. If you like Laphroaig, I'd recommend Lagavulin. Slightly less peaty, but more flavorful in my opinion. I enjoyed some just last night.

Talisker is outstanding. I love it. One of my favorites.

On the "sweeter" side I enjoy Glenfarclas, Ben Nevis, and Highland Park. Although none of these push into the real sweet relm.

If I'm looking for something sweet, I prefer Bourbon. I'd recommend Blantons and Hudson Bay along with Eagle Rare and Pappy Van Winkles. The last is probably the best, but also the priciest.

Illinell

'03 IMPE All Star
Bridgeport, Chicago
Laphroaig is the peatiest you'll find. But Lagavulin is pretty peaty as well. If you like Laphroaig, I'd recommend Lagavulin. Slightly less peaty, but more flavorful in my opinion. I enjoyed some just last night.

Talisker is outstanding. I love it. One of my favorites.

On the "sweeter" side I enjoy Glenfarclas, Ben Nevis, and Highland Park. Although none of these push into the real sweet relm.

If I'm looking for something sweet, I prefer Bourbon. I'd recommend Blantons and Hudson Bay along with Eagle Rare and Pappy Van Winkles. The last is probably the best, but also the priciest.

I agree with everything here....everything.

Just so we don't get in trouble with Dan I moved things over.

Okay, I'm a sucker. My top 10 Oregon brews (in no particular order)
1. Ninkasi Brewery
2. 10 Barrels Brewery
3. St George's Brewery
4. Full Sail Brewery
5. Rogue Brewery
6. Alameda Brewery
7. Deschutes Brewery
8. Hopworks Brewery
9. Laurelwood Brewery
10. Pelican Pub & Brewery

Just in case you find your way back. :thumb:

Thanks! I've done/had beers from 4-8 and I want to say we tried the Pelican Pub once but I'm not positive. The others I'll keep an eye out for, do they distribute at all? Here in AZ we generally have a pretty good selection at the Whole Foods and Total Wine. I'll be looking you up next Nov when Deschutes releases the 2014 edition of their Abyss. FYI, if you ever make it here the local brews kind of muddled along and left a lot to be desired but they are getting better very quickly. Arizona Wilderness won Rate Beers top pick for Best New Brewers in the World. I've yet to try them out but they are close.

New to this forum. Is there a specific brand of beer that just goes perfectly with illini basketball? Other than keystone and natty ice ;)

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Just so we don't get in trouble with Dan I moved things over.

Thanks! I've done/had beers from 4-8 and I want to say we tried the Pelican Pub once but I'm not positive. The others I'll keep an eye out for, do they distribute at all? Here in AZ we generally have a pretty good selection at the Whole Foods and Total Wine. I'll be looking you up next Nov when Deschutes releases the 2014 edition of their Abyss. FYI, if you ever make it here the local brews kind of muddled along and left a lot to be desired but they are getting better very quickly. Arizona Wilderness won Rate Beers top pick for Best New Brewers in the World. I've yet to try them out but they are close.

I'll have to check out the new Abyss. We'll need to k.i.t. through PM when that comes out. You may have had the Pelican ales or whatnot but probably at some local pub unless you made your way out to Pacific City, where they are located.

I'm not sure what the distribution looks like for these but I think the ones with the largest facilities for capacity are Deschutes, Full Sail, and Ninkasi. My recent favorite discoveries are the 10 Barrels Sinister Black IPA and the Fort George Vortex IPA, which I ironically discovered on a business trip to Minneapolis at a hotel bar.

Last edited:

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
New to this forum. Is there a specific brand of beer that just goes perfectly with illini basketball? Other than keystone and natty ice ;)

If they're winning even a simple Kona Lager will do, but you might want something stronger like an imperial IPA if not, or it's too close to call. :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.