Beer to be sold at Memorial Stadium and State Farm Center

Dan

Admin
"The University of Illinois Division of Intercollegiate Athletics (DIA) announced today that it will add beer to public concession options in general seating areas at Memorial Stadium and State Farm Center beginning in the fall of 2019. Plans to allow beer sales at Illinois Field and Eichelberger Field are also being finalized. It is possible that Illinois will offer public beer sales for the final three Big Ten baseball series at Illinois Field this spring. Beer availability at softball games is expected to begin in 2020."

"Plans are to sell 16-ounce beverages in only cans or plastic/aluminum bottles. In Memorial Stadium and State Farm Center, tentative prices will be $7.00 for domestics and $8.00 for premium/craft beers. Prices at baseball and softball are tentatively set to be slightly less expensive and range between $5.00 and $6.00."

https://fightingillini.com/news/201...blic-beer-sales-at-many-athletics-events.aspx

I remember bringing coolers into football games until about 1980 after which it was very easy to "sneak" in alcohol. Good to see the school moving into modern times. Might keep some out of the parking lots.

Deleted member 29907

D
"The University of Illinois Division of Intercollegiate Athletics (DIA) announced today that it will add beer to public concession options in general seating areas at Memorial Stadium and State Farm Center beginning in the fall of 2019. Plans to allow beer sales at Illinois Field and Eichelberger Field are also being finalized. It is possible that Illinois will offer public beer sales for the final three Big Ten baseball series at Illinois Field this spring. Beer availability at softball games is expected to begin in 2020."

"Plans are to sell 16-ounce beverages in only cans or plastic/aluminum bottles. In Memorial Stadium and State Farm Center, tentative prices will be $7.00 for domestics and $8.00 for premium/craft beers. Prices at baseball and softball are tentatively set to be slightly less expensive and range between $5.00 and $6.00."

https://fightingillini.com/news/201...blic-beer-sales-at-many-athletics-events.aspx
"In other news, Central Illinois bota bag sales expected to decline precipitously in 2019".

Really, i give credit to Alma Otter for this change - as he (she? it?) voiced significant opposition to desecrating animal skins during sporting events.

Deleted member 649710

D

Attachments

• E87B4FC6-C4AF-4ED4-9D70-20CCF844B6F9.jpeg
    E87B4FC6-C4AF-4ED4-9D70-20CCF844B6F9.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 336

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
So if I’m reading that correctly, no taps right? Too bad...but I’ll be interested to see what craft beer they get.

In no way will I ever pay $7 for a bud light though.

Deleted member 11196

D
We're into the 21st Century, and they're finally deciding to upgrade into the 20th.... Great move... Better late than never.

I do not enjoy drunks or drunk drivers. Please drink responsibly.
It might be rowdier inside the stadiums, but if you've ever walked through tailgates, the number of said drunks was not limited by the lack of in stadium beverages. Those you have to worry about are going to drink regardless. Sneaking it in was never and will never be hard. The casual drinker is the one that benefits most from this, minus the revenue stream it'll provide.

I’m sure taps will be on the way in the next few years. There would be some investment for cold rooms and beer lines. Once they see how well sales are the first year I bet you’ll see them.

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Are we one of the last big 10 schools to do this? I dont know what the norm is

I have seen many people kicked out for bringing booze into the games. Could never understand how tough it was for the drunks to not have a drink for 3 hours. People do drink at tailgates and will continue to do so, but the vast amount of attendees do not tailgate. This will only add to the drunks on the highways and in the games. I have witnessed females being grabbed in the genitals by drunks and been involved in an all out brawl at a Cardinal game, once again drunks. It has become harder and harder to find an event where family can enjoy the day, not being bothered by the adolescents who have to have a drink to survive socially.