Best Chambana restaurants and bars

illinirazorback

I
I heard it's not quite the same. I've heard mixed reviews in general, mostly regarding the service. I might give it a shot sometime but I'm not eager to try it at a busy time like Mom's weekend.

Yeah my wife has heard mixed things as well. I never talk to anybody so I wouldn't know. :(

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
Been to Uncle Jack's down at Village at the Crossing a few times lately, mostly Sunday brunch after church service, there's usually a 15 minute wait or so, but it's worth it for some good food! It gets somewhat loud in there but not so much that you have to shout to talk. I had a "country benedict" last time which was an egg benedict but with sausage gravy and a biscuit instead of a muffin and hollandaise. It was good!

I'm too young to remember this, but according to my parents there used to be a place called Uncle John's that was very popular here? They said this new place was probably trying to play to people remembering "UJ's" since this new one has a big UJ sign on the front. Seems to be working I guess!

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
Been to Uncle Jack's down at Village at the Crossing a few times lately, mostly Sunday brunch after church service, there's usually a 15 minute wait or so, but it's worth it for some good food! It gets somewhat loud in there but not so much that you have to shout to talk. I had a "country benedict" last time which was an egg benedict but with sausage gravy and a biscuit instead of a muffin and hollandaise. It was good!

I'm too young to remember this, but according to my parents there used to be a place called Uncle John's that was very popular here? They said this new place was probably trying to play to people remembering "UJ's" since this new one has a big UJ sign on the front. Seems to be working I guess!

The other place was Aunt Sonya's (SP) ask your parents, it used to be where the Hilton hotel is now across from the McDonalds on Neil and Kirby. It was a favorite of Lou Henson and Jimmy Collins. I believe the family members started up Uncle Johns to take after Aunt Sonya's, not for sure though. Aunt Sonya's was decked out in Illini color's, with lots of older Illini photo's from the 60's- 80's. Was sad to see it go.

illinirazorback

I
The other place was Aunt Sonya's (SP) ask your parents, it used to be where the Hilton hotel is now across from the McDonalds on Neil and Kirby. It was a favorite of Lou Henson and Jimmy Collins. I believe the family members started up Uncle Johns to take after Aunt Sonya's, not for sure though. Aunt Sonya's was decked out in Illini color's, with lots of older Illini photo's from the 60's- 80's. Was sad to see it go.

+1. Only ate there a couple times before it went away.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
Anyone remember the McDonalds at Neil and Kirby before they tore it down and built the new one next to it? It was all decked out in Illini colors as well (inside). I believe that the Ribeye is the only nearby restuarant that still has Illini stuff on its wall's from the 80's.

danielb927

Orange Krush Class of 2013
Rochester, MN
I remember Aunt Sonya's, I was in there a couple of times before they tore it down. It had a ton of Illini stuff! I wish I could see it now that I'm older.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Anyone remember the McDonalds at Neil and Kirby before they tore it down and built the new one next to it? It was all decked out in Illini colors as well (inside). I believe that the Ribeye is the only nearby restuarant that still has Illini stuff on its wall's from the 80's.
Merry Ann's has some Illini stuff on the walls, too, and the sign is orange and blue. Not as much stuff as Aunt Sonya's had, though.

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
Merry Ann's has some Illini stuff on the walls, too, and the sign is orange and blue. Not as much stuff as Aunt Sonya's had, though.

Haven't been in Merry Ann's for a long time, craving a haystack!

illinirazorback

I
Haven't been in Merry Ann's for a long time, craving a haystack!

We eat there occasionally. My wife likes their pancake batter. It probably comes in a bag from somewhere, but whatever. :)

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
They are adding a 3rd location for Merry Ann's Diner over on campus at one of the new buildings just south of Krannert (where Blues BBQ was and around the corner from Rosati's/Basil Thai/Subway). I'm guessing it will be open sometime this summer. Also, Einsteins Bagels is opening a location in the new building at the corner of Lincoln and University (next to Dairy Queen and across from English Hedgerow).

Illini88

I
I remember Aunt Sonya's, I was in there a couple of times before they tore it down. It had a ton of Illini stuff! I wish I could see it now that I'm older.
Weird mixture of a lot of Illini stuff along with a few Packers items thrown in for good measure. :confused:

Illini88

I
craving a haystack!
What was the name of the place out by I-74? Wasn't that the place with the "Haystack"?? Or was it some other named dish?

Also, nothing to do with these restaurants but the old "Diner" north and west of Lincoln Square was always fun on a Sunday morning.

Illini88

I
It was a favorite of Lou Henson and Jimmy Collins.
Rumor is that this is where one of the violations occurred: Jimmy said "hello" to Deon as Deon eating breakfast there. :rolleyes:

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
What was the name of the place out by I-74? Wasn't that the place with the "Haystack"?? Or was it some other named dish?

Also, nothing to do with these restaurants but the old "Diner" north and west of Lincoln Square was always fun on a Sunday morning.
I'm guessing you mean the Elite Diner, which was just north and east of Lincoln Square (Elm and Vine). I miss that place, too.

Illini88

I
I'm guessing you mean the Elite Diner, which was just north and east of Lincoln Square (Elm and Vine). I miss that place, too.
Thanks, I couldn't remember the name: as far as I got was that I knew it wasn't a person's name (such as "Joe's Diner"). ;)

I'm glad I saw the video: boy, I just can't place that huge billboard that I saw in the still photo. Somehow that just isn't in my memory at all, and I don't know why not.​

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign

He might be thinking of the that roach infested place attached to the old Prospect Motel that was at Prospect and Bloomington RD, that is where the original "Haystack" was made. I think it may have been called the Hitching Post? Not for sure, ate their once and never went back, even though the Haystack was awesome.

He might be thinking of the that roach infested place attached to the old Prospect Motel that was at Prospect and Bloomington RD, that is where the original "Haystack" was made. I think it may have been called the Hitching Post? Not for sure, ate their once and never went back, even though the Haystack was awesome.

Haystack....I just started drooling uncontrollably.

NV Illini 74

N
Trino's by Krannert was the best.

Did some serious damage to our livers and gray cells at Trino's.

They had 10 cent beers (8 oz cups) at happy hour, and you could fit 20 on a tray. We always ended up having 2-3 stacks of cups that were 6+ ft tall.

Very fuzzy memories of details...

:D

Deleted member 3875

D

They had 10 cent beers (8 oz cups) at happy hour, and you could fit 20 on a tray. We always ended up having 2-3 stacks of cups that were 6+ ft tall.

Almost as painful as the 50 cent martini nights on Friday's at the White Horse. They also had 10 cent hot dog deals on the same night. Needless to say the parking lot was disgusting come Saturday AM.

Illini88

I
That's it! I knew the Haystack was from somewhere out in that area. The restaurant was pretty much in the middle of a parking lot for a hotel/motel that catered to truckers IIRC.

You tell current students about that area and how at one time Market Place was just about all there was north of 74, and they just look at you like you've got the original owners manual for a Model T... :laugh:​

Illini88

I

Ah, fun times at that place. When I was there I thought of that as the place for the artsy, avante garde crowd.

Should I date myself by mentioning "Little Kings Night" at a bar? :eek:

ilphotog

The camera never lies
Champaign
That's it! I knew the Haystack was from somewhere out in that area. The restaurant was pretty much in the middle of a parking lot for a hotel/motel that catered to truckers IIRC.

You tell current students about that area and how at one time Market Place was just about all there was north of 74, and they just look at you like you've got the original owners manual for a Model T... :laugh:​

The place was called The Home Stretch, not Hitching Post, it came to me today while I was driving! And yes I can remember taking Prospect Ave to go to the Mall, once over I-74 there was only a stop sign, to the right or left a two lane road and if you went straight a country road. Those were the days!:laugh:

Illini88

I
And yes I can remember taking Prospect Ave to go to the Mall, once over I-74 there was only a stop sign, to the right or left a two lane road and if you went straight a country road. Those were the days!:laugh:
Old-timers test for Chicagoans: if you remember the Leverett Road exit, then you're an old-timer. :laugh: