Best Illini All-Time Starting Lineup

Fun thread.
My lineup.
Guards: D. Williams, K. Gill Sub: B. Douglas
Forwards: N. Anderson, N. Weatherspoon Sub: K. Norman
Centers: E. Winters Sub: R. Kerr

Also, I stated that Gene Vance should have been mentioned on the best guard thread. Why are we leaving off the Whiz kids? They would have been national champions if not for the war.

What about Andy Philip of those teams? Only Illini enshrined in the NBA Hall of Fame as a player.

Not sure it would be the best all time. But for straight fun factor, I would have loved to see the 89 team with Deron swapped in for Bardo.

Baltimore, MD
i dont remember much prior to 2000 but if we are basing it just off of players we liked:

PG: Deron, Frankie
SG: Dee, Cory Bradford, Sean Harrington, Luther
SF: Sergio, Randle
PF: Cook, Lucas Johnson, Griffin
C: Augustine, Archibald

You guys are too young...not starting EDDIE JOHNSON?? C'mon

Actually, Eddie as a sixth man is not a bad idea. That was his main role in the NBA iirc. Not to say he is not one of the most talented to ever don the Orange and Blue, he was, but . . .

eddie johnson
derek harper
deron williams
kenny battle
red kerr

i sub in:

deon thomas
dee brown
dave downey
frank williams
nick weatherspoon

lets not forget our distant past. sorry if i forgot anyone older than Red Kerr.
people forget how good derek harper was because he was only here for 2 years.

we should probably add a pre war "whizz kid" to this group. until i looked it up i had no idea!! 2 or 3 national players of the year were from this group!

also: Ray Woods!!! 1917 national player of the year. two big ten championships and 16-0 record in 1917 including a "retroactive" national championship.

Ok here is my shot. Preface by saying my time was '80-'84, so just missed Eddie and Harper, but can appreciate them for their NBA careers. I'm throwing Red Kerr in for Illini and Bulls contributions :)

Two deep:
PG: Williams, Williams. (Flip a coin on who is who :D)
SG: Kendall Gill (always a big fan, great career, solid NBA also) Derek Harper
C: Deon Thomas (have to find room for all time leading scorer in UI history), Red Kerr
SF: Nick Anderson, ???
PF: Brian Cook (for stretch 4), Ken Norman for rebounding, inside scoring.

Others, to get to 13:

Energy guys:
Kenny Battle, PF/SF although not much of a SF
Dee Brown

Shooters, although great shooting in the two deep:
Bradford

Muscle/rebounds: ???
Jens :)
Lucas ?

Notable absences:
Bruce Douglas, all time leading steals and assists in big ten at time he left
Bardo, mismatch at pg, strong defender.
Augie energy, leading rebounder in UI history (?) when he left

Disclaimer, again, except for Red Kerr, I cannot really comment on those players from earlier times.

New York
My biggest complaint with these types of threads is that posters should not say that their lineup is the best lineup in UI history. They should say that it is the best lineup in their time as a fan. It is pretty easy to tell how old a poster is by what his lineup is. :)

OK, seems plausible....

also: Ray Woods!!! 1917 national player of the year. two big ten championships and 16-0 record in 1917 including a "retroactive" national championship.

Illiniwil, 105 years old.

Dallas, Texas
Skip Thoren was 10 times better than Meyers Leonard. He had hook shots, low post moves either way, and an overall grasp of how to play center way better than Meyers. I don't want a guy that cries in the locker room after a regular season game either.

Lombard
I will play:
PG - F. Williams
SG - K. Gill
SF - K. Battle
PF - B. Cook
C - D. Thomas

Bench Mob:
D. Brown
D. Williams
D. Harper
E. Johnson
R. Powell
L. Hamilton
R. Kerr

...and skip thoren was in that whiz kid group. at 6-10 he was bigger than 99
%of his time. (im 56, but a bit of a basketball historian.)

1s- Dee Will- Harper
2- Gill
3- Nick Anderson or Eddie Johnson
4s- Snake, Nick Weatherspoon, Cook
5- Myers is the most talented Big Man we ever had. He was just poorly managed IMO

1s- Dee Will- Harper
2- Gill
5- Myers is the most talented Big Man we ever had. He was just poorly managed IMO

Disagree on 5. Deon and Cook were obviously better players as Illini and so was Augie IMO. That's in no way a knock on Meyers, as the others were given the chance to develop their games over 4 years, while ML suffered under a coach and teammates who would not give him the ball for the one year he got any tick. JMO.

Dallas, Texas
...and skip thoren was in that whiz kid group. at 6-10 he was bigger than 99
%of his time. (im 56, but a bit of a basketball historian.)
Skip was born when the whiz kids played. I think he was at Illinois 62-65. My dad would take me to the Illini games at Huff before the Assembly Hall & every team had guys at least as tall as Skip.

Based on his stellar NBA career???

He's actually been playing pretty well of late. His scoring rate and rebounding rates are both up from his last two seasons and he's shooting at a 55/45/90 clip. Minutes have gone up of late too. Developing himself into a decent stretch 4/5 for Portland

1s- Dee Will- Harper
2- Gill

Skip Thoren was 10 times the player Miles was. Absolutely no comparison.

Baja Ontario
And for you youngsters out there, Skip's last name is pronounced "Thor-een" *rhymes with clean. I got it straight from Larry Stewart.