Betiku to the NFL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 654622

D
I have been pretty clear all year that I did not think Betiku was good enough to get drafted. Then that draft expert when on the Werner show and talked about how he could be a 3-4th round pick. So I though I would come on and eat some crow after the draft. Then today it comes out that he wasn't even invited to the combine.... I am sticking with me prediction

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
If he gets drafted it'll be purely on potential right? He has to learn more moves and can't run over people in the NFL. Or maybe he'll be drafted as an LB?

illini80

Forgottonia
He’s not coming back so it’s a moot point, but if he wanted to at this point is he eligible? Assuming he hasn’t hired an agent. Are the rules are exactly the same for football and basketball?

Deleted member 746648

D
He’s not coming back so it’s a moot point, but if he wanted to at this point is he eligible? Assuming he hasn’t hired an agent. Are the rules are exactly the same for football and basketball?
You cannot come back in football like you can in basketball or baseball. They should let guys go through the combine before making them decide though.

Deleted member 746648

D
Considering the draft is in April I think the NCAA should allow players to go through the draft and come back if they don't get drafted as high as they wanted. They allow this in baseball as long as they don't have an agent. The only downside to doing this is it puts coaches in a tough spot of deciding if they should keep a scholarship open for a guy in case they come back and if they don't the player won't have anywhere to come back too.

How many players are typically invited to combine? And who decides on the invitees?
I read a book in the fall which covered the draft in a chapter, but the book was a few years old, so it's possible the information is outdated, and so might my memory. The number of players is usually in the 320-330 range, with a maximum of 335. There is a committee which makes the decision. They take input from the scouting services and the teams. The goal is to get a consensus from all of the teams as to which players they are interested in drafting, without teams giving up who they are specifically interested in. Now who exactly is on that committee? I don't know. I'm pretty sure there are representatives from the two scouting services, which cover 28(?) of the teams, but I'm not exactly sure how the other 4(?) teams get involved.

I read a book in the fall which covered the draft in a chapter, but the book was a few years old, so it's possible the information is outdated, and so might my memory. The number of players is usually in the 320-330 range, with a maximum of 335. There is a committee which makes the decision. They take input from the scouting services and the teams. The goal is to get a consensus from all of the teams as to which players they are interested in drafting, without teams giving up who they are specifically interested in. Now who exactly is on that committee? I don't know. I'm pretty sure there are representatives from the two scouting services, which cover 28(?) of the teams, but I'm not exactly sure how the other 4(?) teams get involved.
I don't think that it really matters that he goes. The team workout that is held will basically have the same drills. There is no competition (man vs man) in the drills at the NFL combine. What he loses, if he were to screw up at the Combine, is the opportunity to do better.

Deleted member 654622

D
well for as big and BA he looks, Wole pumped out....18 reps on the bench with 225.
I can tell you I have never looked that good and I was mid 20s when I was in college. Dre Brown got 19.
I guess I am not shocked considering he couldn't get off a block when conference play started.

well for as big and BA he looks, Wole pumped out....18 reps on the bench with 225.
I can tell you I have never looked that good and I was mid 20s when I was in college. Dre Brown got 19.
I guess I am not shocked considering he couldn't get off a block when conference play started.

Yeah that's terrible for a defensive lineman. He is not big enough to play DL, and I don't know if he has the skill set to play OLB like Mercilus. This was a massive mistake by him IMO.

Krombopulos_Michael

Aurora, Illinois (that’s a suburb of Chicago)
That is significantly less than what you would expect, however keep in mind the bench press is not the great indicator for success as a pro. Pat O’Donell outbenched Clowney for crying out loud.

That is significantly less than what you would expect, however keep in mind the bench press is not the great indicator for success as a pro. Pat O’Donell outbenched Clowney for crying out loud.
Mostly agree with you, but Clowney was a freak and he also did 21 in the bench press (from a quick google search.)

Deleted member 654622

D
eh. It didn't matter in Clowney's case because you actually have tape of him getting off blocks vs boy that were going to the NFL. Anytime Wole played against a power 5 tackle, he was so stuck he looked like he was slow dancing in junior high!

Looking back this will probably have been the right move for both parties. With new coaches coming in there's a lot of unpredictablity and variables to account for.

I don't think college to NFL is as simple as being a productive college player.

CBS gave a report that lists Betiku as one of 8 players not invited to the draft with near certainty he will get drafted. They perceive his negatives to be mostly given by technique and moldable aspects. The prediction is that he is a 3rd round draft pick.

CBS gave a report that lists Betiku as one of 8 players not invited to the draft with near certainty he will get drafted. They perceive his negatives to be mostly given by technique and moldable aspects. The prediction is that he is a 3rd round draft pick.

so nfl teams feel good enough about his measurables to not need to measure them, and know he needs technique?

So basically who is gonna bet on their ability to mold a great athlete.

so nfl teams feel good enough about his measurables to not need to measure them, and know he needs technique?

So basically who is gonna bet on their ability to mold a great athlete.

Jery Angelo isnt in the NFL anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.