BIG Predictions

OK, you've seen us play our non-conference games, and similarly we know how the rest of the BIG has done.

So, what's your prediction for the conference, and especially our conversation record?

afpharmdawg

Colorado Springs
Somewhere between 0-18 and 18-0. OK I'm going to say...10-8. I think we win a couple we are not supposed to.

I think that overall the Big 10 is down this year so with that being said and our obvious Injury problems, I would love to finish in the top 7 of the big ten standings this year.

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
As it stands now, I think we only win 8-9 games max. No bigs other than Finke and Morgan are going to make things difficult. I really don't think we can play any D. The Providence game was the best defensive game we've played. The defense was okay against Mizzou, but I feel like their offense was pretty bad to start with.

Michigan State will most likely win with Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue, Iowa, and Indiana up there also.

As it stands now, I think we only win 8-9 games max. No bigs other than Finke and Morgan are going to make things difficult. I really don't think we can play any D. The Providence game was the best defensive game we've played. The defense was okay against Mizzou, but I feel like their offense was pretty bad to start with.

Michigan State will most likely win with Michigan, Ohio State, Purdue, Iowa, and Indiana up there also.

It would be a great season for us to win 8 or 9 games. Unfortunately, I just don't see it. As you so correctly put it, it is almost impossible to succeed in the Big 10 without having a down low presence both offensively and defensively. We are also really hurt by the fact that we have no true slashers who can take the ball to the basket to score or dish out. League coaches will come up with defenses to neutralize Nunn and Hill and let other players try to beat them. So, any success we have will be dependent on the continued growth of players like Finke, JCL and Jordan, especially on defense. Possibly down Big 10 or not, it is hard to be optimistic when we will likely be playing a full slate without 4 of the players projected to be in our top 8 pre-season, three of whom (Thorne, Black, Paul) are bigs and the other who was undoubtedly our best on the ball defender and toughest overall player. Rather than get all down and mad if losses pile up, I am going to look for the continued development of our young players, hope for the occasional upset when we are shooting well from the outside, and believe that we can be really good next year.

I'll take a stab at it:

L vs Michigan (0-1)
W at Ohio State (1-1)
L at Michigan State (1-2)
L vs Purdue (1-3)
W vs Nebraska (2-3)
L at Indiana (2-4)
W at Minnesota (3-4)
W vs Ohio State (4-4)
L vs Wisconsin (4-5)
W at Rutgers (5-5)
L vs Iowa (5-6)
W at Northwestern (6-6)
W vs Rutgers (7-6)
L at Wisconsin (7-7)
L vs Indiana (7-8)
L vs Minnesota (7-9)
L at Maryland (7-10)
W at Penn State (8-10)

I think we'll win a few games here we shouldn't and show flashes of being a good team, but the injuries combined with our poor defense and inability to play 2 consecutive 20 minute periods will leave us at 8-10 imo.

6-12 or 7-11 is pretty much where I'm at. Struggle just to get into the NIT. I hope I'm way wrong.

Somewhere between 6-12 and 10-8. The first 4 games will tell us a lot. If we can survive that stretch with 1 or 2 wins we have a chance at 10+ conference wins. We wont be holding anyone under 60 points so the hope is that JCL can become a consistent 8-10 ppg scorer and have some games of 15+ points. He'll be the difference maker IMO.

OrangeDeeLight

Champaign Area
We need 8 wins to make the NIT.

My prediction is 5-13 with no post season. :( Now, if we get healthy...all bets are off.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
First, let me state that I really hope that I'm wrong, but based on how poorly this team defends I think we're going to struggle against most teams that score as well as we do, particularly teams that have any kind of perimeter and interior offenses. We've also been poor at offensive rebounding, so unless the first shot goes down it's catch-up ball all night long.

L vs Michigan (0-1)
L at Ohio State (0-2)
L at Michigan State (0-3)
L vs Purdue (0-4)
W vs Nebraska (1-4)
L at Indiana (1-5)
L at Minnesota (1-6)
L vs Ohio State (1-7)
L vs Wisconsin (1-8)
W at Rutgers (2-8)
L vs Iowa (2-9)
L at Northwestern (2-10)
W vs Rutgers (3-10)
L at Wisconsin (3-11)
L vs Indiana (3-12)
L vs Minnesota (3-13)
L at Maryland (3-14)
W at Penn State (4-14)

I'll put some caveats on this--a lot of these games are going to be competitive, (vs OSU, vs IU, vs NU) but I don't see much hope on the road against just about anyone that isn't named Penn State.

I'll also predict that this is the year that Northwestern finally makes the dance.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, but I also think this year sets up for an outstanding 2016-2017 if we get some guys able to defend and get offensive boards.

I think Illinois goes between 9-9 and 11-7 in B1G play. Maybe that's the orange kool-aid I've been drinking but I don't think we are nearly as bad as everyone else is predicting.

L vs Michigan (0-1)
L at Ohio State (0-2)
L at Michigan State (0-3)
L vs Purdue (0-4)
W vs Nebraska (1-4)
L at Indiana (1-5)
L at Minnesota (1-6)
L vs Ohio State (1-7)
L vs Wisconsin (1-8)
W at Rutgers (2-8)
L vs Iowa (2-9)
L at Northwestern (2-10)
W vs Rutgers (3-10)
L at Wisconsin (3-11)
L vs Indiana (3-12)
L vs Minnesota (3-13)
L at Maryland (3-14)
W at Penn State (4-14)

Are you accepting wagers on us getting swept by Minnesota? I'd love to get some of that action

It would be a great season for us to win 8 or 9 games. Unfortunately, I just don't see it. As you so correctly put it, it is almost impossible to succeed in the Big 10 without having a down low presence both offensively and defensively. We are also really hurt by the fact that we have no true slashers who can take the ball to the basket to score or dish out. League coaches will come up with defenses to neutralize Nunn and Hill and let other players try to beat them. So, any success we have will be dependent on the continued growth of players like Finke, JCL and Jordan, especially on defense. Possibly down Big 10 or not, it is hard to be optimistic when we will likely be playing a full slate without 4 of the players projected to be in our top 8 pre-season, three of whom (Thorne, Black, Paul) are bigs and the other who was undoubtedly our best on the ball defender and toughest overall player. Rather than get all down and mad if losses pile up, I am going to look for the continued development of our young players, hope for the occasional upset when we are shooting well from the outside, and believe that we can be really good next year.

I think this is a generally correct analysis but doesn't take in to account continued growth and heart. I think we win a couple that we might be expected to lose and could win those 8 or 9 games. This may not be enough to get us into the tournament but, given the losses to personnel this year, will constitute a pretty good season. That said, I am not counting on it and just hope we can build for the following year, keep heads up, and fight without quitting.

As for how the B1G shakes out, I see it this way:

Michigan State
Purdue
Maryland
Indiana
Michigan
Ohio State
Northwestern
Iowa
Wisconsin
Illinois
Nebraska
Penn State
Minnesota
Rutgers

I am not at all confident about the above ranking. I think after the first 4, it becomes hard to predict. I kind of like Iowa and WI better than I have them ranked but don't see how they pass the others by at this point. Could WI really fall that low? I, of course, like Illinois better than I have them ranked but am trying to be realistic. Would love to see us do better than this. I am giving Northwestern the benefit of the doubt so far. They are going to have to prove themselves this year.

5-13 is my prediction. We are pathetically weak at PG and at the 4/5 spots. You can't be a quality team w/o competent PG play. And in the Big Ten, you need some physicality at the 4/5 spots. What we have to put on the court right now is not going to win many games.

Now if Black comes back soon at full strength, I may increase my wins prediction a couple games. But I'm not optimistic on that front.

217sports

Springfield
Groce's teams always seemed to get schooled when entering Big Ten play early. Start 0-4. End 6-12

Jkat00

Champaign, IL
W vs Michigan (1-0)
L at Ohio State (1-1)
W at Michigan State (2-1) No Valentine.... students are gone.... we always play well in East Lansing.
L vs Purdue (2-2)
W vs Nebraska (3-2)
L at Indiana (3-3)
L at Minnesota (3-4)
W vs Ohio State (4-4)
L vs Wisconsin (4-5)
W at Rutgers (5-5)
W vs Iowa (6-5)
W at Northwestern (7-5)
W vs Rutgers (8-5)
L at Wisconsin (8-6)
W vs Indiana (9-6)
W vs Minnesota (10-6)
L at Maryland (10-7)
W at Penn State (11-7)

19-12 overall . Need 1-2 big ten wins to get into NCAAs

W vs Michigan (1-0)
L at Ohio State (1-1)
L at Michigan State (1-2)
L vs Purdue (1-3)
W vs Nebraska (2-3)
L at Indiana (2-4)
L at Minnesota (2-5)
W vs Ohio State (3-5)
W vs Wisconsin (4-5)
W at Rutgers (5-5)
W vs Iowa (6-5)
W at Northwestern (7-5)
W vs Rutgers (8-5)
L at Wisconsin (8-6)
W vs Indiana (9-6)
W vs Minnesota (10-6)
L at Maryland (10-7)
W at Penn State (11-7)

Wouldn't be surprised if we pulled an upset at MSU without Valentine, at Minnesota, or at Wisky. Likewise, I really doubt we will actually accomplish that six game win streak I put in my predictions. I will stick with 10-8 or 11-7 as the B1G record, but I realize it won't happen as above. We could win a couple we shouldn't and maybe go 4-2 in that six game stretch of games I think we should win for example.

Regardless, this outlook might be a little rosy. These predictions are IF Black is 100% by the home game against OSU at the latest.

frozenrope9190

Aurora, IL
9-9. We'll beat Wisconsin once (finally) and lose to Northwestern. We'll sweep Minnesota and Rutgers, beat Nebraska, Penn State, Ohio State once, and one surprise win, maybe Indiana or Iowa. Those first 4 games are going to be rough.. PLEASE beat Michigan.

W vs Michigan (1-0)
L at Ohio State (1-1)
W at Michigan State (2-1) No Valentine.... students are gone.... we always play well in East Lansing.
L vs Purdue (2-2)
W vs Nebraska (3-2)
L at Indiana (3-3)
L at Minnesota (3-4)
W vs Ohio State (4-4)
L vs Wisconsin (4-5)
W at Rutgers (5-5)
W vs Iowa (6-5)
W at Northwestern (7-5)
W vs Rutgers (8-5)
L at Wisconsin (8-6)
W vs Indiana (9-6)
W vs Minnesota (10-6)
L at Maryland (10-7)
W at Penn State (11-7)

This is nearly the same as I hoped for, except I have us losing at MSU and winning at Minny. In any event, it would be an incredible accomplishment given our injuries and our reliance on freshmen.

Depends on how soon Tate's finger gets healed up. We've seen him play well enough in the B1G to win some games but right now he's clearly nor himself, as evident by his terrible ft shooting. Also whether or not Leron can get back to 100%, as we are not going to be able to compete on the boards with Finke and Morgan anchoring us inside. Hopefully Mav can go to Christmas dinner at the mccamey house and someone tells him to get meaner.

W vs Michigan (1-0)
L at Ohio State (1-1)
L vs Purdue (2-2)
W vs Nebraska (3-2)
L at Indiana (3-3)
L at Minnesota (3-4)
W vs Ohio State (4-4)
L vs Wisconsin (4-5)
W at Rutgers (5-5)
W vs Iowa (6-5)
W at Northwestern (7-5)
W vs Rutgers (8-5)
L at Wisconsin (8-6)
W vs Indiana (9-6)
W vs Minnesota (10-6)
L at Maryland (10-7)
W at Penn State (11-7)

Just can't see us going 11-7 in the B1G w/o MT, LB and TA. 8-10 seems much more realistic or 7-11. Lot depends on LB's return. I'll say 8-10, which would be a significant accomplishment with this group. No NCAAs again, but if (big if) we're fully healthy next year, we should return in 2017.

Illinifanatic4ever

Orange & Blue Blood in my Veins
I went through entire Big Ten Schedule and here is what I came up with.

1. Michigan State 15 - 3
2. Purdue 14 - 4
3. Indiana 13 - 5
3. Maryland 13 - 5
5. Illinois 11- 7
5. Michigan 11 - 7
7. Iowa 10 - 8
7. Wisconsin 10 - 8
9. Northwestern 8 - 10
9. Ohio State 8 - 10
11. Penn State 5 - 13
12. Minnesota 4 - 14
13. Nebraska 3 - 15
14. Rutgers 1- 17

Six or seven wins tops... not for lack of effort, just tough to get without Thorne and Black.

No signature win as of yet, Mizzou team may be their worst in decades. We will know a lot come Wednesday at about 4p