Big Ten Cancels Fall Football (CFB Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I could get struck by lightning or hit by a bus this afternoon. Not likely though. This is NOT about safety. This is solely about liability issues.

I agree about liability being the driving force here. What is the conference going to do now regarding the safety of athletes? or are they mostly on their own until further notice, or whatever individual schools decide to do? I used to be on the 'cancel the season already' train, but after reading about the stringent protocols the football team had put in place, I changed my mind. They're the safest of anyone on campus.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
These young people are not at high risk unless they have undelying conditions. The key is protecting vulnerable players and staff. College age kids represent just over a tenth of a percent of all COVID deaths.

These are assumptions. We have not even known about this virus for a calendar year. We don't know about long-term effects, but the early indications are....unsettling. It's not random that the B1G is pointing to cardiac complications as part of the reason they are being cautious here.

Lots of complaining and frustration taken out on B1G decision makers. Nevertheless, they have so much more information than any of us. All should read the statement as the situation was fluid and the B1G was preparing to play or not play but was learning more DAILY. IMHO, it was a conservative decision, but one made pretty obvious to them as to what was the right path. Having had to lead men in battle, that decision has my respect and support...it certainly is not an easy answer for anyone to decide as is the answer as to how many lives do we sacrifice to save how many dollars/lives economically? Sure will miss the Illini victory over Ohio State which was coming in less than a month!

And I could get struck by lightning or hit by a bus this afternoon. Not likely though. This is NOT about safety. This is solely about liability issues.

Comparing a pandemic to a bus accident or lightning strike is pretty silly and no this is not just about liability issues, although they are very real too. Ask Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez about safety, he has myocarditis and said even after testing negative that he felt like an 80 year old after throwing only 20 pitches. He's in his 20s.

So how do you play in the spring and then again a few months later in the fall? The answer is you don't..... See you in the fall of 2021.... :(
Both seasons will probably not have any non-conference games. The Fall 2021 season will also probably be delayed a little.

If there is a spring football when would it start and how does it play around the basketball schedule. I wonder if basketball will even play.

DoctorOrange

Chicago, IL
This! The problem with the whole Covid situation is that the goal posts keep moving. First it was lockdown for two weeks...flatten the curve and don't overwhelm the hospitals, then it was a few more weeks...then months. Now the narrative has changed completely in that a mere asymptomatic result merits quaranting. There is no doubt that at some point during the season a player or players test positive and then the decision about whether the entire team should be banned comes up. These young people are not at high risk unless they have undelying conditions. The key is protecting vulnerable players and staff. College age kids represent just over a tenth of a percent of all COVID deaths. Players could be offered "free" redshirt year. I think the bigger issue is that whether the players signed on to the season or not eventually there will be a lawsuit...

Goalposts get moved and metrics change because it's a new virus. It was never going to be two weeks of lockdown. That was never a realistic option once cases appeared over the whole country. But there's no doubt it was effective at bringing caseload down. The problem is that people in this country were convinced this virus was a hoax, then no big deal, and their right not to be inconvenienced by a mask was greater than others' rights not to be infected with a deadly virus.

The young people are not at high risk for dying. That's true. But their risk is above zero for complications like postviral myocarditis, stroke, other chronic sequelae that we don't know about yet. To the big ten presidents that wasn't worth the risk to what are essentially kids working for free to make money for colleges and other companies.

Deleted member 746684

D
Yeah, but if you're stuck by lightning, the strike doesn't spread to your family, or your at risk elders, or your teammates.

Deleted member 746684

D
NHL just reported 7000 tests last week with 0 positives. Their bubble seems to be the poster child so far.
Definitely. The players are self-reporting at this point.

I personally love it. If a state like Nebraska isn’t having issues why should they sit home? Go find a way to play and then come back when the big 10 has stuff figured out.
So do these players stay in bubble? or are they free to infect any and everyone they come in contact with since the SEC states aren't exactly doing well right now. And did a quick fact check, Nebraska has many cases per capita as Illinois and much more than most of the big ten states.

FinalFour88

Charlotte, NC
This decision makes no sense to me. Players are just as likely to get Covid if the season is canceled as if it goes on.

Why hasn't anyone asked the players what they want? For many of these players, football is all they have. It's the only thing they do well. It's their entire identity. You cancel their season, and what do they have? Scholarship to keep pursuing their degree? LMFAO!!!! That's funny!

Why are you canceling the season? To protect the players from getting Covid. But what about the players who still get Covid, even with the season canceled? Lose-lose for those guys. No football and I still got Covid. Thanks a lot!

I think you just need to let these guys play. Many of them have nothing else to do or identify with. Anyone who gets Covid, you quarantine them for two weeks in whatever brand-new $50 million fieldhouse you just built with donor money. These big time programs are built for times like this, and they didn't even know it.

Decision-making under conditions of high uncertainty. I would imagine it is best to err on the side of caution.
Without football and basketball it is going to be very long year.

That’s a fair take, but I’ll bet you will oppose playing in the spring, too ... and fall 2021 ... if the metric is, “Will there be real risk of transmitting the virus?” There will be until 75%+ are vaccinated (YEARS from now) or we have herd immunity (YEARS from now). Everything before will carry risk of increasing the spread, period. Low cases in spring 2021? We‘ll start the season, they’ll predictably go up and we’ll panic and cancel it. Even if that panic is warranted, it begs the question if there’s any end game in sight ... which then again begs the question to the powers that be of what on Earth will be so magically different about spring 2021, fall 2021 or any other future timeframe until one of those two conditions are met?

I think I fall in this camp ... lets think of the diseases, etc. that we don't have vaccines for... i think this was about liability... but why not just ask the athletes to sign waivers? My 7th grader has to sign a COVID waiver to compete in Jr High Baseball ... My kids, if we go to a trampoline park, have to release the park of liability if they get injured?

My biggest concern would be this - if you are allowing 40K students onto your campus in 3 weeks - but you don't allow football - that's hypocritical and it's a shame!

Just my opinion.

I'm just so sad - Illinois has the best roster(s) in football and basketball that they have had in easily 10 years, but maybe longer... and we may not play either sport. I'm so saddened by it. It's such an "Illinois" thing to happen (both football and basketball began instant replay because of bad calls against Illinois)... I feel so bad for the players.

My long term thoughts are - if the SEC, Big 12, and ACC have football, and any other conferences - i'm only thinking Power 5 - how far back does this set every Big Ten team not named PSU, OSU, Michigan, and maybe Wisconsin? You have to assume that before the dust settles, players will transfer out to play this season (especially upperclassmen) ... I can't imagine Kendrick Green or Palcho wanting to play in the fall with NFL draft aspirations?

Deleted member 746684

D
I'm just so sad - Illinois has the best roster(s) in football and basketball that they have had in easily 10 years, but maybe longer... and we may not play either sport. I'm so saddened by it. It's such an "Illinois" thing to happen (both football and basketball began instant replay because of bad calls against Illinois)... I feel so bad for the players.

My long term thoughts are - if the SEC, Big 12, and ACC have football, and any other conferences - i'm only thinking Power 5 - how far back does this set every Big Ten team not named PSU, OSU, Michigan, and maybe Wisconsin? You have to assume that before the dust settles, players will transfer out to play this season (especially upperclassmen) ... I can't imagine Kendrick Green or Palcho wanting to play in the fall with NFL draft aspirations?
Not very far unless the NCAA changes transfer rules. They don’t just get to transfer and by the time they get to play the B1G will likely be back

I think a better approach would be "While we are disappointed our league has chosen to postpone etc., we understand the concern for the student athletes. We believe we can take the proper steps given our geography etc......." The way they responded was a bit too transparent for my taste - but to each his own.

Regardless, it still doesn't convince me they could contain this if the MLB is having problems. Perhaps they plan on playing a season consisting of: NW Nebraska State, Southern Nebraska, Western-Eastern Nebraska, Northern Podunk Nebraska... Going out to find a way to play may just seriously endanger many kids. The league has made that decision and if teams in the league decide they are not going to work with them - i say see-ya cornheads.
I hate to be a cynic, but much of Nebraska's fan base still lives in a world where they just need to beat Oklahoma to get a spot in the national championship rather than struggling to beat Iowa and Northwestern and finishing under .500 in conference more often than not. Maybe they see this as their last best chance to reverse a decision they regret and go back to a situation that suits them better by portraying the rest of the conference as a bad cultural fit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 746684

D
Strange that the same Presidents who have ignored CTE for years suddenly are concerned about a rare heart condition that maybe somewhat related to Covid but nobody is sure yet.
CTE doesn't spread between players and immediately make them sick.

Sorry, I get your point and it's not a horrible one, but let's not pretend COVID-19 myocarditis is anything like CTE. Also, it's not that uncommon.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
This decision makes no sense to me. Players are just as likely to get Covid if the season is canceled as if it goes on.

Why hasn't anyone asked the players what they want? For many of these players, football is all they have. It's the only thing they do well. It's their entire identity. You cancel their season, and what do they have? Scholarship to keep pursuing their degree? LMFAO!!!! That's funny!

Why are you canceling the season? To protect the players from getting Covid. But what about the players who still get Covid, even with the season canceled? Lose-lose for those guys. No football and I still got Covid. Thanks a lot!

I think you just need to let these guys play. Many of them have nothing else to do or identify with. Anyone who gets Covid, you quarantine them for two weeks in whatever brand-new $50 million fieldhouse you just built with donor money. These big time programs are built for times like this, and they didn't even know it.

I'm trying to think of the last post I saw that held CFB players (including our own) in such low regard.

Did you miss where Ra'Von Bonner laid out exactly the case for not playing? Here it is, in case you'd like to read it.

Deleted member 746684

D
So because a league made a poor decision Nebraska should sit back and watch its football program crumble? Yeah okay lol. And if you have a problem with transparency during this whole thing then i don’t know what to tell you.
No B1G is going to have their program crumble

Status
Not open for further replies.