Big Ten Cancels Fall Football (CFB Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stanford had 31 programs, which was the most in D1. Of the programs that were cut, their competition was all on the east coast. Perhaps it just made sense to cut those programs regardless of the timing of the cuts.

Yeah, Stanford is/was an outlier. Still, the long term impact on other sports will be real, and probably more significant than to the revenue generating sports, whether that means fewer resources or cutting programs entirely.

Stanford had 31 programs, which was the most in D1. Of the programs that were cut, their competition was all on the east coast. Perhaps it just made sense to cut those programs regardless of the timing of the cuts.
For example, Stanford just cut its high-level fencing program, which has included some recent Olympians. Of the 20 or so schools getting votes in the most recent coaches' poll, just three are west of the Mississippi (others are San Diego and Air Force). Eight are in New York, New Jersey or Pennsylvania. Let's face it, Stanford has the money to do whatever they want. I imagine someone for a while had their eye on cutting these programs due to bottom-line concerns and realized the pandemic was probably the best excuse they'll ever get.

For example, Stanford just cut its high-level fencing program, which has included some recent Olympians. Of the 20 or so schools getting votes in the most recent coaches' poll, just three are west of the Mississippi (others are San Diego and Air Force). Eight are in New York, New Jersey or Pennsylvania. Let's face it, Stanford has the money to do whatever they want. I imagine someone for a while had their eye on cutting these programs due to bottom-line concerns and realized the pandemic was probably the best excuse they'll ever get.
Stanford has 31 sports programs because it doesn't have any concern over money. They are more likely to question why they only have 31 programs. Whatever its current endowment is is probably 10x more than sufficient to weather any storm, and then it just happens to be right next to Sand Hill Road (VC capital of the world, with countless Stanford alumni), where it effectively has an unlimited line of credit, so to speak. I am sure any decision they make to forego any sports seasons would be health related, or due to student or parent concerns, or perhaps preemptive, if they already know the other schools in their sport are soon to cancel anyway. But not financial.

I'm confident our ancestors - who died via communicable diseases in numbers we can barely comprehend - would empathize with a society using the tools that it has to try to minimize that.

I'm even more confident they would point and laugh at those who think "continuing my calendar of leisure activities uninterrupted" is evidence of "freedom" or "fortitude."

Amen, Matt. Well said, my friend.

I’m not saying this is the end of the DIA or college athletics. I’m simply stating that when the cash cow of the athletic department takes a loss then we are going to see this trickle down to others. We see this in business everyday. When the top mortgage lender takes off from a bank, usually the support staff will lose a few people as well. I’m saying that recruiting is gonna take a beating, because why would a kid not look more at programs that they can actually watch on the field? Or play in a conference they feel backs football?

I doubt that recruiting will see much of an effect. Not many conferences will play and we aren't recruiting head-to-head with a lot of SEC schools or ND, Clemson, ect.

As far as the spring goes, the fact that multiple vaccines are now in Phase 3 trials gives me a lot of hope that things will be very much different come the spring.

Interesting fact: Illinois has more national fencing titles than Stanford (2-0). Unfortunately, we sacrificed our program at the altar of political correctness 30 years ago.

illini80

Forgottonia
Early enrolees are eligible for spring practice so should be eligible to play.
You’d have to have the open scholarships tho right? Honestly, I’m not sure how that rule works for early enrollees. I mean technically even though it’s 2021, you are playing the delayed 2020 season.

Interesting fact: Illinois has more national fencing titles than Stanford (2-0). Unfortunately, we sacrificed our program at the altar of political correctness 30 years ago.
I can't swear this is true, but when I went to UI someone told me the two Big Ten programs with the most league titles were Michigan football and Illinois fencing. It probably didn't many any difference in the end, but when a couple of them burned the football field, that probably squelched any chance of having the community rally round to save the program.

I'm confident our ancestors - who died via communicable diseases in numbers we can barely comprehend - would empathize with a society using the tools that it has to try to minimize that.

I'm even more confident they would point and laugh at those who think "continuing my calendar of leisure activities uninterrupted" is evidence of "freedom" or "fortitude."
Bravo! 👏👏👏👏

Deleted member 29907

D
So.......... if we do have a Spring season - would not potential high round NFL draftee potentials possibly sit the year out? Much like bowl game dropouts? Thus, wouldn't that improve our ability to be more competitive in the spring?

So.......... if we do have a Spring season - would not potential high round NFL draftee potentials possibly sit the year out? Much like bowl game dropouts? Thus, wouldn't that improve our ability to be more competitive in the spring?

Definitely. I would think there is no incentive for a guy like Justin Fields to play a spring season.

How much money does the average Pac 12 or Big 10 football program likely to lose as a result of canceling the season? How are these funds recouped, from the AA budget and increased donations, the University, the State of Illinois? Just wondering.

It's a great question & interesting observation regarding other team's NFL bound players. It begs the question: Who on our team could this include?

It's a great question & interesting observation regarding other team's NFL bound players. It begs the question: Who on our team could this include?

I saw a quote on Twitter that Kendrick Green had his eyes on the 2021 draft so that could be a huge blow if he sits out.

Deleted member 746648

D
I doubt it. If we lose 2 or 3 key players that could be devastating because we are still thin at certain positions. Teams like Ohio St could lose 7 or 8 players and the backups would likely be more talented than us. Our depth is improving almost across the board but we are still thin at several positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.