Big Ten Cancels Fall Football (CFB Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
So when people talk about Spring football they actually mean Winter football, don't they? Would games be played in a Jan.-March or Feb.-April time frame? I don't see how that is doable in the Midwest because of weather. Would the Big Ten have bubbles set up in domes in places like Indy, Detroit, or Minneapolis?

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
So when people talk about Spring football they actually mean Winter football, don't they? Would games be played in a Jan.-March or Feb.-April time frame? I don't see how that is doable in the Midwest because of weather. Would the Big Ten have bubbles set up in domes in places like Indy, Detroit, or Minneapolis?
I would guess 8 games, Mid Feb - Mid April. No insider here. You just don't want to start much sooner, or end any later.

Probably something like the XFL was running, 10 games from Feb to April-ish

Deleted member 29907

D
This is a flat out mess. I thought this was an interesting, though not in-depth, discussion of the differing points of view.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...tensifies-as-no-one-can-get-on-the-same-page/

When cardiologists, epidemiologists, and infectious disease experts can’t agree, how are average people supposed to make an informed decision?
Yeah, I for one am not trusting someone who bashes another league's decision. Seems pretty immature and reckless. Nor am I trusting anyone specifically paid by a school. And there are too many innate pressures from top athletic programs (as we have seen in many other types of incidents, etc.) to cave to the powerful.

If I am erring, I am erring on the side of caution and health in the midst of a pandemic storm. I think anyone who thinks they can contain this is just fooling themselves. Look at the videos of No. GA college kids partying last night. And I think it's particularly concerning where the numbers are still out of control (SEC, ACC area schools are not on good ground here).

KMOX had a great 10 minutes yesterday with two Iowa football parents.. apparently there is a petition in the process to get big ten football back up and running. I believe it is archived on kmox, great listen if you get time.

illini80

Forgottonia
I don’t see us at being a very high risk for players sitting out. We have some draft potential this year, but most everyone is in a place where I think the chance to improve draft stock will be more important than the risk of hurting stock.
It's an interesting debate. Not everyone even agrees if spring ball hurts the 2021 season. If guys think they have a NFL chance, will they be draft ready and ready for rookie camps in early May if they play a spring season? Some say no, others say it's no big deal. I think it's likely we lose some. Whether that's a significant issue compared to other teams is up for debate.

just something to think about. Tough decisions are gonna be made.
The link says Iowa’s budget was 127 million. That seems like they are giving up on most revenue. “The drive” IIRC was talking about Illinois/ Whitman saying Illinois losing 20 million before Football being postponed & had Illinois donations going from 20 mil/ yr to 40 mil/ yr under Whitman. So if Iowa was budgeting 127 million, that leaves only 27 million in income left, which seems like a reasonable guess for donations at Iowa. So no conference payout, no attendance, pretty much nothing but donations?

Wow, this sounds like a horrendous policy:

"Health officials have said students who provide an out-of-town home address or don’t self-report a positive test at a non-UNC-affiliated testing site are not immediately counted in Orange County. '

I'm a student from out of town. I go to an off-campus doctor or pharmacy to get a test. It comes up positive, but I feel OK, so I'm just going to hang out in my dorm and wait until it passes. Meanwhile, the health department where my parents live hundreds of miles away gets a meaningless alert that someone is sick in their county.

giphy.gif

What is the point of the B1G saying, "Okay, season back on!" and then coming back two weeks later to say, "Just kidding!" That is an even worse look in my book.

What is the point of the B1G saying, "Okay, season back on!" and then coming back two weeks later to say, "Just kidding!" That is an even worse look in my book.
I imagine it gives the administration a fair bit of feel good coverage when/if this is driven by parents/players, rather than the university.

I imagine it gives the administration a fair bit of feel good coverage when/if this is driven by parents/players, rather than the university.
Maybe it’s the parent in me, but this feels a lot like giving into the demands of a toddler.
Should the B1G have waited before making an announcement? Absolutely. But to back off the initial decision, when it will be the eventual conclusion anyway, because people are throwing a fit, shines the light again on the void in leadership and accountability.

Seems like there's no point trying unless the plan is to do something drastic, like a bubble. If classes are all going to be online anyways, then being away from campus shouldn't be a problem, but I see a quite a few issues and implementation concerns that would raise.

Spread of the virus, particularly while treating the issue recklessly, is a major issue on its own, but there's also other game-related issues like what happens when a team gets decimated by the virus? Are they pretty much toast for however long their players are out? If 5 or 10 or 20 people on a team/team's staff test positive, what do you do about the remainder of the team, some of whom were likely exposed but may be in the incubation period or receive false negatives on their tests? And what is the season working towards? Will there even be bowl games or a playoff?

I'll be interested to see how the SEC and ACC handle those issues, should they arise. Personally, basketball is more my (our) cake, so I'd rather see all effort going into planning how to pull that off, with the NBA as a model, rather than scrambling to bring football back at the last minute.

I’m somewhat puzzled regarding the pleas of parents and athletes that the Big Ten change its decision to cancel the 2020 football season. What new facts have the parents and athletes or do the parents and athletes intend to advance in support of their pleas ? If the pleas are simply based upon the desire of the athletes to play and the parents support of such desire, well, I assume the athletic directors, university presidents and the conference assumed that. Moreover, such desire doesn’t in any way undercut medical advice and recommendations. Assuming the decision makers relied upon advice and recommendations from medical consultants, what new facts which could impact such advice and recommendations are the players and parents relying upon ?

I’m somewhat puzzled regarding the pleas of parents and athletes that the Big Ten change its decision to cancel the 2020 football season. What new facts have the parents and athletes or do the parents and athletes intend to advance in support of their pleas ? If the pleas are simply based upon the desire of the athletes to play and the parents support of such desire, well, I assume the athletic directors, university presidents and the conference assumed that. Moreover, such desire doesn’t in any way undercut medical advice and recommendations. Assuming the decision makers relied upon advice and recommendations from medical consultants, what new facts which could impact such advice and recommendations are the players and parents relying upon ?

I think it comes down to the fact that neither the players nor parents thought the season was going to get delayed and very possibly cancelled until just 24-48 hours before the decision was made. Had they, it seems clear that this sort of organized pressure would have happened. It all goes back to the B1G posturing like they were going to play a season, and then pulling the rug out. It made it difficult for players and parents to be heard before the decision was made, so they're being heard after the decision was made. Hard to blame them.

Why do they need new facts? 3/5 of the Power 5 conferences looked at the same information and are still planning on playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.