Big Ten Cancels Fall Football (CFB Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

illini80

Forgottonia
Does anyone know what the rules are for player workouts? I've heard they have 20 hours per week of time with coaches. Is that team/position workouts/drills, or just individual? Since there were no pads allowed prior to suspending the season, I assume that is still the case.

Remember when I said there would be consequences to this decision. Well we are about to see them all over college athletics. Thousands are going to lose their jobs and thousands of students will lose their free college. College athletic departments don’t make as much money as people think, take away college football and this is what happens.

Would they have still lost a similar amount of money playing with no fans? What is happening with the TV money this year? Obviously there aren't games right now but the BTN is still on so they are receiving money from the cable providers and I'm assuming are still paying the schools based on their contract.

altenberger22

South Carolina
Illini are one of five Big 10 teams to receive zero votes in either the AP or Coaches preseason poll, joining Maryland, Michigan State, Purdue and Rutgers.

I wonder how many seniors stick around for '21. Peters can finish his Masters degree and get a look from the NFL if there's football next year, so that one seems like a lock. Hopefully that won't result in transfers among the young guns...I know everybody wants to play, but another year repairing your body, growing stronger and mastering the system leads to a much better chance that they'll step up and shine when their moment comes.

I think this team can be quite good. If Peters and the OL come back, I think Lovie will prove some doubters wrong.

With the recent news on this being a “mulligan” year (for Fall sports), it creates a lot of interesting questions.

But in the short term (in terms of eligibility) everyone gets another year no matter what happens in 2020. So regardless of whether a player sits out, plays a full season in the fall or a partial season in the spring or no season at all, this season doesn’t count against eligibility.

However many years of eligibility they had going into the start of the 2020 season is what they will have in 2021.

Deleted member 746684

D
The Big 10 should have given the season a try with all safety regulations in place.
Illinois is the only school in the B1G doing anything close to what's necessary to hold classes (The university represents 1-2% of the daily tests in the United States) in a pandemic and their leadership isn't interested.

They, rightly, are focusing on the health and safety of the students.

illini80

Forgottonia
I don't know for sure how long most of the students have been on campus, but we've had 284 cases in the last week (Aug 17-23) so I'd be cautious about pointing any fingers just yet.

https://go.illinois.edu/COVIDTestingData

It would seem likely that some of those have not been here long enough to have contracted it since they arrived, but that may also be the case at other schools.

Last edited:

Deleted member 746684

D
I don't know for sure how long most of the students have been on campus, but we've had 284 cases in the last week (Aug 17-23) so I'd be cautious about pointing any fingers just yet.

It would seem likely that some of those have not been here long enough to have contracted it since they arrived, but that may also be the case at other schools.
The good news is Illinois is the only school where the positivity rate is meaningful because they test everyone. Less than1% of nearly 88,000 tests

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL

Since the freshman moved in on 8/22, it makes sense that there is a spike 8/22, 8/23. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 2 weeks. Hopefully, the program works.

edit: I just re looked at the data. Turns out there were much fewer tests 8/22, 8/23, but the positivity rate was higher.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
Abbott's new test approval could be a game-changer, folks. 15 minute results, $5 to take it, don't need to send to a lab. Sensitivity/Specificity 97%+ (though based on small numbers of people tested on, real world could be different), 50M tests per day capacity already. i'm guessing not that different from the UofI, but with national capacity (and there will likely be more like it). Can test every player every day (not to mention even fans if you want to). This could legitimately allow seasons to happen without a vaccine.

Deleted member 29907

D
Abbott's new test approval could be a game-changer, folks. 15 minute results, $5 to take it, don't need to send to a lab. Sensitivity/Specificity 97%+ (though based on small numbers of people tested on, real world could be different), 50M tests per day capacity already. i'm guessing not that different from the UofI, but with national capacity (and there will likely be more like it). Can test every player every day (not to mention even fans if you want to). This could legitimately allow seasons to happen without a vaccine.
There website says ability to ship 50M per month beginning in Oct.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
There website says ability to ship 50M per month beginning in Oct.
you're right, typo on my part. but still sufficient to meet US national testing guidelines (which amount to ~40-45M tests/month), and diagnostics tends to be a fairly low barrier to entry business, so there will likely be others entering over time.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
the turnaround time is really the game-changer (along with adequate capacity and low price). Can test an entire team/staff, etc. a few hours before the game and confirm test results before starting the game.

Or can test an entire plane before boarding, or manufacturing plant employees before a shift, etc. etc.

Perhaps not an entire stadium full of people yet, but could theoretically over time.

right now (for the right reasons), it'll be focused on front line employees. But i'd expect it to expand over time and could potentially be ready for a lot more applications in the next few months.

Last edited:

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
I wish that before every young person graduated from an American high school they were forced to memorize the sentence, "There is not a legal remedy for every single thing I don't like and/or think is unfair."

yeah, i'm no lawyer but not sure what the legal argument they can take here. From what I understand, the scholarships are still being honored. It's not like they can't play elsewhere if they wanted to. And i'm guessing there's some force majeure language in all these contracts...if all those are true, what can you really argue? Big Ten is losing out on this too, so can't say that they're trying to screw the players.

can't say that they're trying to screw the players.
That's precisely the motive many think for canceling the season. If you recall right before the decision to cancel the season, there was a lot of talk by groups purporting to represent players that certain demands should be met before the season was played. The move by the Big Ten was seen to prevent the players from organizing and making more demands. Although, it appears some of the players are trying to organize anyway, but, of course, they don't have the threat of "striking" to give weight to their demands. Oh! those childish clowns!

Last edited:

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
That's precisely the motive many think for canceling the season. If you recall right before the decision to cancel the season, there was a lot of talk by groups purporting to represent players that certain demands should be met before the season was played. The move by the Big Ten was seen to prevent the players from organizing and making more demands. Although, it appears some of the players are trying to organize anyway, but, of course, they don't have the threat of "striking" to give weight to their demands. Oh! those childish clowns!

So are you saying that the big ten postponed the season because they were worried players would make demands/conditions under which the season was to be played? So instead of trying to meet those demands, just postpone it outright before those demands could be formally made? Seems a little "nose to spite face" kinda scenario.

i guess the theory that this could've been the opportunity for the players to form a unified coalition that would make demands beyond playing under COVID could be valid. But from a legal perspective, they're going to have a hell of a time trying to prove that given the big ten is potentially voluntarily giving up billions with which those demands could've been met. Plus you could just point to the ACC/SEC to show that this isn't what's happening anyway (at least from what i've seen) so you'd have to prove the big ten/pac12 are different.

“Standing to sue” is a legal concept that, unfortunately, many lawyers choose to never understand. I doubt players have standing to sue a private association for decisions made by the association. In Illinois there is a long line of cases brought against the IHSA, all of which have crashed and burned. Of course, Nebraska state law, with which I am totally unfamiliar, may create some causes of action, although that would surprise me. If the season were to proceed, the schools would owe a duty of care to the players and if the schools negligently breached that duty the players would have standing to sue the school and everyone administering the program. Cancel the season, little chance of a successful lawsuit. Hold the season and lots of players become seriously ill, lots of potential liability. Now, be gentle with me and my opinions as law school was nearly 50 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.