Big Ten Media Rights / Conference Realignment

Thanks for the link, I've looked a time or 2 to see where the new number would be.

Also nice play by the underpants gnome, but seriously that is a huge number and guessing that gets us to the 60 mil number by the end of the contract. Last I saw was one SEC school breaking 40+ million in 2016. Should give us even more leverage if/when the next round of conference realignment starts.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2017/02/02/sec-tax-return-639-million-in-revenues-2016-fiscal-year/97400990/

EJ33

San Francisco
Football ad revenue expected to drop this year per Bloomberg:

TV networks including ESPN are bracing for a drop in advertising revenue for football games in the coming season, which could drag down sales growth for sports broadcasts overall, advertising and television executives say.

A decline in ratings for National Football League games last season has hurt sales this year, along with a saturated market for college games and spending cuts by drug and auto companies, said the executives, who asked not to be identified discussing private talks. While a few deals have yet to close, some of the biggest sponsors have indicated they’ll be spending less.

Link

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
Everybody bask in my genius idea.

A three-conference trade. The Big 12 gets Mizzou, the SEC gets Louisville, and the ACC gets West Virginia.
Then the Big 12 adds Houston and SMU

The conferences then break down like so

SEC
West Division: Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas
East Division: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Louisville, Kentucky

ACC
Inner Division: Clemson, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Virginia Tech
Outer Division: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Pitt, West Virginia, Syracuse, Boston College

Big 12
Big Six Division: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Mizzou, Iowa State
Southwest Division: Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Houston, SMU, TCU

I will not be taking questions. Thank you.

A three-conference trade. The Big 12 gets Mizzou, the SEC gets Louisville, and the ACC gets West Virginia.

SEC
West Division: Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas
East Division: Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Louisville, Kentucky

ACC
Inner Division: Clemson, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, Virginia Tech
Outer Division: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Pitt, West Virginia, Syracuse, Boston College

Big 12
Big Six Division: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Mizzou, Iowa State

If this is what we’re doing...

B1G South
Nebraska
Iowa
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana
Ohio state
Maryland

B1G North
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Michigan
Michigan State
Penn State
Rutgers

To me it brings a little better balance. Best balance if Nebraska becomes Nebraska again.

redwingillini11

North Aurora
If this is what we’re doing...

B1G South
Nebraska
Iowa
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana
Ohio state
Maryland

B1G North
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Michigan
Michigan State
Penn State
Rutgers

To me it brings a little better balance. Best balance if Nebraska becomes Nebraska again.

The South division would be the new West. O$u would go to Indy every year and I probably couldn’t handle that.

SEC

ACC

Big 12

These first two are strictly rhetorical questions; there is no need for you to answer them :)

1. Why in the world would Missouri want to leave the SEC to go back to the Big 12?

2. Why would the ACC want West Virginia?

3. Texas absolutely does NOT want Houston and SMU in the Big 12, and Texas rules the Big 12

These first two are strictly rhetorical questions; there is no need for you to answer them :)

1. Why in the world would Missouri want to leave the SEC to go back to the Big 12?

2. Why would the ACC want West Virginia?

3. Texas absolutely does NOT want Houston and SMU in the Big 12, and Texas rules the Big 12
4. Why do we care about Missouri, WVA, Houston, or SMU and what any of those conferences do?

I think more to the point, if the Big 10 had any interest in Missouri, why didn't they just scoop them up when they were ripe for the plucking in 2011 or 2012?

If the Big 10 were to expand again (and I think that's a really big "if" for the foreseeable future), I think their eyes are firmly to the south and east. Assuming SEC schools like Vandy and Florida are forever out of reach, some combination of Virginia, UNC, Duke and Georgia Tech would be the targets. Big research oriented schools near big, growing metro areas in big, growing states.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
4. Why do we care about Missouri, WVA, Houston, or SMU and what any of those conferences do?

If the thought of re-invigorating the spirit of the Big 8 and SWC doesn't set your heart aflutter, we're not operating on the same wavelength here.

I also think that solves the ACC's Legends and Leaders problem rather artfully, bringing back the Backyard Brawl to boot.

Last edited:
I think more to the point, if the Big 10 had any interest in Missouri, why didn't they just scoop them up when they were ripe for the plucking in 2011 or 2012?

If the Big 10 were to expand again (and I think that's a really big "if" for the foreseeable future), I think their eyes are firmly to the south and east. Assuming SEC schools like Vandy and Florida are forever out of reach, some combination of Virginia, UNC, Duke and Georgia Tech would be the targets. Big research oriented schools near big, growing metro areas in big, growing states.

I think Delaney really wanted to add North Carolina and Virginia, but I think the ACC is on much more solid ground now and that is unlikely.

If the B1G expands again, my money is on adding Oklahoma and Texas. If Texas agrees to come, that would make Oklahoma's weak academics palatable and adding those two schools would balance out the football divisions. It would also add a few more big rivalry games that would generate a ton of money. It would also mean that all West Division teams were in the Central Time Zone and all East Division teams were in the Eastern Time Zone.

B1G East Division

Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue
Maryland
Rutgers

B1G West Division

Texas
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern

Last edited:

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I think Delaney really wanted to add North Carolina and Virginia, but I think the ACC is on much more solid ground now and that is unlikely.

If the B1G expands again, my money is on adding Oklahoma and Texas. If Texas agrees to come, that would make Oklahoma's weak academics palatable and adding those two schools would balance out the football divisions. It would also add a few more big rivalry games that would generate a ton of money. It would also mean that all West Division teams were in the Central Time Zone and all East Division teams were in the Eastern Time Zone.

B1G East Division

Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue
Maryland
Rutgers

B1G West Division

Texas
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern
How many butt-kickings do you want Illinois to receive every year for goodness sakes?

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I think Delaney really wanted to add North Carolina and Virginia.

If the B1G expands again, my money is on adding Oklahoma and Texas. If Texas agrees to come, that would make Oklahoma's weak academics palatable

It's amazing what catnip this stuff continues to be for people despite all we've seen and learned.

It's amazing what catnip this stuff continues to be for people despite all we've seen and learned.

I'm not saying it's likely any time in the near future. I'm just saying that if they ever did expand, that would be what the most likely scenario would be, imo

You are welcome to disagree.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
I'd be interested to know what Delaney's long term plans were in 2010. I think he was content to sit at 12 schools (after adding Nebraska) for a while and didn't anticipate the ACC and SEC going to 14. My guess is Syracuse would've been one of his preferences for a 13th or 14th team.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I'd be interested to know what Delaney's long term plans were in 2010. I think he was content to sit at 12 schools (after adding Nebraska) for a while and didn't anticipate the ACC and SEC going to 14. My guess is Syracuse would've been one of his preferences for a 13th or 14th team.

(I got what I deserved for bumping this thread)

I think Delany acted exactly according to plan. He set about to seize the cable carriage fee revenue of two major metro areas and he did it. He monopolized the Dutch tulip market.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

B1G East Division

Michigan
Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue
Maryland
Rutgers

B1G West Division

Texas
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern

Texas is certainly the plum. That said, I'll believe they'd want in when it happens. Can't envision their sports guys accepting being an equal partner. At all. The academic side would be very pro-BIG, but we all know who's driving the bus.

If the UT wanted in, OU would almost definitely be their partner.

If the thought of re-invigorating the spirit of the Big 8 and SWC doesn't set your heart aflutter, we're not operating on the same wavelength here.

I also think that solves the ACC's Legends and Leaders problem rather artfully, bringing back the Backyard Brawl to boot.
The thought of the big 8/SWC makes me think of option football...oh, wait now I see it, definitely a different page.😀
Living in this neck of the woods, I like ACC problems.

The B1G did not want Syracuse, a (relatively) small private school in Upsta. When Maryland became available, Delaney couldn't pass up the chance to get into the Mid-Atlantic region. Rutgers actually has many more fans in New York City than Syracuse and also brings the state of New Jersey.
I think we need to change the name & Gritty will be on board

No doubt. That's basically what it would be, except you would be adding genuine flagship universities with (mostly) respectable football programs (Illinois currently excluded), in some more populous states to what was best about the Big 8 (Oklahoma & Nebraska) and the old SWC (Texas). You would also be connecting the media markets of Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Austin, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Madison, Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Des Moines.

No doubt, it's probably a pipe dream, but that division would make a great football and basketball conference (as well as wrestling, volleyball, golf, tennis, etc.)

Last edited: