Big Ten Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm way late for this, but I'm really disappointed in Fred Hoiberg at Nebraska. I went to Iowa State (please don't hurt me), but to see him go to the Chicago Bulls and well not really do much and then go to Nebraska. I know it's his first season and he's got some rebuilding to do, but man I just think he'd been better off had he stayed at Iowa State. I'm sure they'd still take him now, no questions asked considering Iowa State's season has been this year though they've had bad luck with injuries. I don't blame Hoiberg for leaving for what was his dream job (Chicago Bulls), but I wish he had stayed in Ames. Oh well.
I think you're a little pre-mature in your assessment here. Just like with Underwood, you can't turn things around overnight sometimes...especially when you do it legit (think Missouri here). 1st year, hired in March and had a short amount of time to pull a roster depleted by seniors (I think the broadcasters mentioned something like 30 day turnaround), Nebraska is a losing program, and on and on....They got Kofi King, they have some transfers that had to sit out this year....so I think the net net of this is that he has them competing day in and day out which for an uncompetitive team, gave Illini some fits for most of the game until the end...This league will be only tougher with Hoiberg in there...scary that this league can get even more competitive.

Every year since the B10 has expanded to 14 teams, an 11-14 seed has made the quarterfinals... let's hope and pray that the 11-14 this year is Northwestern or Minnesota.

5 of our 7 losses on the opposite side of the bracket. Iowa on a neutral court, will be tough though if that's what it comes down to Friday. But at least in that scenario we'll be a little more rested.

Anyone happen to hear Tim Brando on the Score this morning just now? Might be the worst interview by an "expert" I've ever heard. First, I guess Brando is doing the Big East tournament this week so they ask him about that...and he doesn't know who DePaul is playing in the first round. "Did Butler lose yesterday," Brando says. "Is that who they play now?" Doesn't even know the matchups of the game he will be calling. Then he starts talking about the Big Ten tournament and how Purdue can get in if they win the rematch with Rutgers. (except of course Purdue doesn't play Rutgers.) And finally David Haugh gets a question in about Illinois, and Brando starts talking about how Brad Underwood's style with the press and all the fouls won't work in the NCAA Tournament with all the fouling. I realize he's getting up there in years but can't believe he was that uniformed when he's going on a Chicago radio station.

I heard the same interview and had the same thoughts. Tim wasn't very informed. His insights beside the fact that the NCAA tournament is going to be wide open, were not very well thought out or prepared. He is much more informed about NCAA football. In my opinion

Who ever we play i would like to see us come out and throw some token pressure at them to see how much of there legs are left
Really wonder if they are able to play last years defense. Think it could be effective for short periods of time when it isn’t expected. I am speaking of the turnover part not the free layup.

If Ia wins. That means they played Sunday late. Then Thursday. If Garza plays 35 min then he has to play Friday afternoon that will be a load. All I have to say is win.

kiwanegarris22

South Carolina
Now that this is set, thanks to everyone who posted over in the BTT forecasting thread! I had a blast bringing it back, particularly due to your many encouraging responses and the active discussion. Hope to put in some time this offseason on improvements prior to next year’s outright B1G title.
Thanks again Daniel. Your analytics have to be an annual part of our Loyalty blog now that Illini basketball is back!

Every year since the B10 has expanded to 14 teams, an 11-14 seed has made the quarterfinals... let's hope and pray that the 11-14 this year is Northwestern or Minnesota.

Interesting stat. I would not be surprised to see Minnesota make a run. They know they need to win the whole thing and they have enough talent to do so. All depends on Oturu. He seems checked out at times.

I'm predicting Minnesota over Iowa. a game under their belt. Rivalry but with Iowa looking forward to a grudge match against Illinois.

It would be nice to see Iowa end up in the 8-9 game in the NCAA.

It's kinda funny the emphasis on how we did in the regular season and how it's good to have so many teams in our side of the bracket that we've beaten.

Aren't we supposed to be worried about playing Michigan because how can we expect to beat them three times in one season. And shouldn't we want Maryland, because no way they'll beat us three times in one season.

Can anyone throw out a good bar in San Diego where I can watch the B1G tournament? Going out there on Wednesday through the weekend and want to be able to watch at least the Illinois games. Thanks in advance!

San Diego alumni club is going to Rosati's in Encinitas. Most big sports bars will have the games available.

lstewart53x3

Scottsdale, Arizona
It's kinda funny the emphasis on how we did in the regular season and how it's good to have so many teams in our side of the bracket that we've beaten.

Aren't we supposed to be worried about playing Michigan because how can we expect to beat them three times in one season. And shouldn't we want Maryland, because no way they'll beat us three times in one season.

That’s the way I see it too. I’d prefer to play the teams that beat up on us in the regular season, than teams we beat up on.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Anyone happen to hear Tim Brando on the Score this morning just now? Might be the worst interview by an "expert" I've ever heard. First, I guess Brando is doing the Big East tournament this week so they ask him about that...and he doesn't know who DePaul is playing in the first round. "Did Butler lose yesterday," Brando says. "Is that who they play now?" Doesn't even know the matchups of the game he will be calling. Then he starts talking about the Big Ten tournament and how Purdue can get in if they win the rematch with Rutgers. (except of course Purdue doesn't play Rutgers.) And finally David Haugh gets a question in about Illinois, and Brando starts talking about how Brad Underwood's style with the press and all the fouls won't work in the NCAA Tournament with all the fouling. I realize he's getting up there in years but can't believe he was that uniformed when he's going on a Chicago radio station.
Yikes, he's only a few years younger than I and I don't think I am getting senile yet (of course, would I know?). He's only 64. :LOL:

illini80

Forgottonia
I guess I’m one of the few that don’t love the likely Iowa rematch. I don’t see these guys being tired on the second game. By Sunday, the extra game or two is huge. Somehow we have got to get either trent or Alan hitting some shots. DW has made some huge shots lately so hopefully he can keep it going. It will be a war. We have yet to show we can stop Garza. (As can be said for the rest of the B10.) Hoping for Minnesota on Friday!

I guess I’m one of the few that don’t love the likely Iowa rematch. I don’t see these guys being tired on the second game. By Sunday, the extra game or two is huge. Somehow we have got to get either trent or Alan hitting some shots. DW has made some huge shots lately so hopefully he can keep it going. It will be a war. We have yet to show we can stop Garza. (As can be said for the rest of the B10.) Hoping for Minnesota on Friday!
I'm with you on not wanting to play Iowa first. They're a tough matchup for us and while we've split with them, it was an all out war to do so. Go Gophers !

I think you're a little pre-mature in your assessment here. Just like with Underwood, you can't turn things around overnight sometimes...especially when you do it legit (think Missouri here). 1st year, hired in March and had a short amount of time to pull a roster depleted by seniors (I think the broadcasters mentioned something like 30 day turnaround), Nebraska is a losing program, and on and on....They got Kofi King, they have some transfers that had to sit out this year....so I think the net net of this is that he has them competing day in and day out which for an uncompetitive team, gave Illini some fits for most of the game until the end...This league will be only tougher with Hoiberg in there...scary that this league can get even more competitive.

What I was trying to say in my post was I wish Fred Hoiberg had stayed at Iowa State. I was puzzled how and why the Chicago Bulls offered him the head coaching job. I know he was doing good things at Iowa State and let's face it beyond expectations for Iowa State. He was and still is a hometown hero in Ames. I understand he's rebuilding at Nebraska and so that will take time like it did for Underwood here. BTW, I assure you all I'm an Illinois/Illini fan first. But Iowa State well since they hate Iowa as much as we do is a team that I like that and well I'm an alumni there. I do enjoy when they do well. They are not much of a powerhouse in basketball or football really, but every now and then they can be good. Most of my family though went to Univ. of Illinois and yes some of that was during the 2004-2005 season. As I said, part of me wishes Hoiberg had stayed at Iowa State.

Status
Not open for further replies.