Blackhawks '17-18

This team looks really lifeless right now. I know I'm gonna get killed for saying this but I think the Quenville era might be nearing an end.
I have been thinking the same about Q as it does not seem he is not getting through to his players any more. Easier to change the coach than the team. But who do you get to replace him with?

This team looks really lifeless right now. I know I'm gonna get killed for saying this but I think the Quenville era might be nearing an end.

It's a combination of every level of this organization. Failure to keep/develop/actually play young guys in meaningful roles has caused our roster to age. Trades that deplete our farm system and draft classes to push for the cup has increased this even more. Poor contracts hamstring us in free agency. Questionable drafting. I hate to blame Q or Bowman because of what they made this team into, but they lack the ability to adapt and evolve their practices.

No matter which way you spin it, the window is closer to closing than it has been in almost 10 years. Very difficult situation for the franchise, but I'll give them the rest of the season to figure it out.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
They are .500 right now and, if the season were ending, they'd be 1 point out of a playoff spot. I'm willing to give Q time to do what he's always done, and let his team gel. If we're worse off after the start of the new year, then it may be time to start thinking about some changes.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Not by me. Many other Hawks fans feel the same.

I have been thinking the same about Q as it does not seem he is not getting through to his players any more. Easier to change the coach than the team. But who do you get to replace him with?

Q's rope is getting shorter. But he deserves and will get more time. If the malaise continues, Bowman will replace him. Two options there: an interim coach or roll the bones on Culliton (Icehogs coach, just came over from coaching in Sweden). Very high on Culliton, but he probably needs more seasoning.

They are .500 right now and, if the season were ending, they'd be 1 point out of a playoff spot. I'm willing to give Q time to do what he's always done, and let his team gel. If we're worse off after the start of the new year, then it may be time to start thinking about some changes.

Precisely!

The defense is pathetic. Too soft, afraid to take a body and be physicals, turnovers etc.

Seven goals so far. Have not seen all since I was watching the illni, but Crawford and then Forslng had very little chance on the news I saw. Guys on the doorstep untoched, open chances.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
The defense is pathetic. Too soft, afraid to take a body and be physicals, turnovers etc.

Seven goals so far. Have not seen all since I was watching the illni, but Crawford and then Forslng had very little chance on the news I saw. Guys on the doorstep untoched, open chances.

'Twas worse because the Hawks coughed up a 4-1 lead. Pretty sure (trying hard to forget, lulz!) they gave up 4 in the 2nd. Firmly lapsing into mediocrity. Ugh! Plenty of time to right the ship, but no evidence. Q has until Xmas, I figure.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Hawks have bounced backed nicely from the Devils debacle. Stiff road test tonight. Forsling is really improving. Always had a very high upside, great to see his play beginning to match that. 2nd in TOI last few games. Getting Seabs down to 16-17 mpg is massive too.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
i'd like to see Vinnie called up, don't know who would be sent down, but the team has looked better as of late.

Sharp, although he wouldn't be sent down, just sent to the press box. Hasn't had a point in over a month. Guess it's true that he was finished in Dallas.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Hawks have bounced backed nicely from the Devils debacle. Stiff road test tonight. Forsling is really improving. Always had a very high upside, great to see his play beginning to match that. 2nd in TOI last few games. Getting Seabs down to 16-17 mpg is massive too.

Played pretty well overall, IMO. The ice tilted toward the Hawks end as the game wore on. Both goalies were outstanding last night. Anyone who things Crawford isn't one of the best goaltenders in the league is...well, Happy Thanksgiving!

:D

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Played pretty well overall, IMO. The ice tilted toward the Hawks end as the game wore on. Both goalies were outstanding last night. Anyone who things Crawford isn't one of the best goaltenders in the league is...well, Happy Thanksgiving!

:D
Crawford has been their best player so far this season, with maybe Anisimov the second imo. But as a whole look like a pretty mediocre team.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
7 points out of 8 possible. Could be coming around. Brutal stretch: 5 games in 7 days, against some top teams. Will know more about this team soon.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Nice production and good win, albeit over a very depleted Ducks squad. Big game tonight against the red hot, and more rested Preds in Nashville. 2nd pairing of Rutta and Forsling has been very good, by and large.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Nice to see DeBrincat get the hat trick last night. 2nd youngest in franchise history.

Last edited:

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Just looking at scores this season, it seems like scoring must be up. More teams scoring 5 or more goals in a game. Not quite like the 1980s, but I like it.

Just looking at scores this season, it seems like scoring must be up. More teams scoring 5 or more goals in a game. Not quite like the 1980s, but I like it.

I listen to the NHL channel on XM radio, and they give daily updates on how many goals are scored everyday, and you are correct that scoring us up per game.

we look like a totally different team that 2 weeks ago, I'm a huge Kane fan, and he looks much better, last night he was skating HARD. The guys seem to have more jump, and finally scoring the puck. the first part of the season we had the worst puck luck though.

I think we keep this up and fight back to get a playoff spot.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

Haven't looked up the stats, but this doesn't surprise me. The league has been moving towards speed and skill for awhile. If anything, that's accelerated now. Pylons and enforcers are going the way of the dodo (and that's a good thing). Plus, the league is enforcing its rules much more strictly (also good, within reason). More PPs, more scoring.

Haven't looked up the stats, but this doesn't surprise me. The league has been moving towards speed and skill for awhile. If anything, that's accelerated now. Pylons and enforcers are going the way of the dodo (and that's a good thing). Plus, the league is enforcing its rules much more strictly (also good, within reason). More PPs, more scoring.

plus with the new rule about challenging offsides it has sped the game up as well, it seemed like last year every game had a offside challenge.

your right, its a fast game, my sons are in youth hockey, and all they teach is speed.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
we look like a totally different team that 2 weeks ago, I'm a huge Kane fan, and he looks much better, last night he was skating HARD. The guys seem to have more jump, and finally scoring the puck. the first part of the season we had the worst puck luck though.

I think we keep this up and fight back to get a playoff spot.

Kaner's assists last night were things of beauty.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Sadly, the days of "flipping the switch" are over. Unless I'm happily mistaken, this team will struggle to make the playoffs. Sans Crow, this is a sub-.500 team. Ugh!

3 Cups to drown our sorrows in though. It was a glorious run!

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Sadly, the days of "flipping the switch" are over. Unless I'm happily mistaken, this team will struggle to make the playoffs. Sans Crow, this is a sub-.500 team. Ugh!

3 Cups to drown our sorrows in though. It was a glorious run!
It was a great run. I just hope they don't have a repeat stretch like the late 90's to the late 2000's when they missed the playoffs something like nine out of ten years before they can get this thing rebuilt. I was afraid that it was going to be too difficult to pay Toews and Kane that type of salary and keep a good enough supporting cast around them. I think you can really see Toews declining, and Keith and Seabrook are falling fast. Unfortunately the only reason they were able to draft that type of talent in the first place was by being bad for a number of years.

I am getting so tired of watching the Blackhawks pass the puck around the perimeter and not shoot.

Get the puck to the net, get traffic in front. That is when they have their most success, and in similar fashion, when they give up the most goals.

Typical game tonight. Two power plays with little success, then buffalo gets a late ppg, on guess what? A tipped shot on goal.

So frustrating.

On a sdie note, good BIG hockey tonight. Minnesota scored late to force OT, but OSU wins in OT

Notre Dame #4 at #12 Wisconsin.