Blackhawks '17-18

This has to be the end of the line for people in management. How can you lose to the worst team in the league by five goals? As wonderful as the last 10 years have been, it is time to make a change; you cannot keep having these types of efforts when you are (or were) fighting for your playoff lives. What moves do you all see taking place?

Back-to-back wins spanning the All-Star break. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I think this team can make a run at the 7th/8th seed even without Crawford (be a lot easier with him). The lines appear to be in a good place to where they are getting contributions from all of the lines (not necessarily all the same night which is still an issue, but each one can provide something at least).

Sharks lost, Stars should lose, and Avs are down early. February and March should be interesting.

Nice call... I should probably just quit sports :eek:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I've been in the camp of giving Q another year to fix things, given what he has accomplished, as well as having most points last year.

But I've also heard rumors the team has tuned him out lately. Can't fire whole team, so I guess I'm saying time to let Q go. Not sure if you do it now you can move him into office in some capacity, so maybe best to part ways.

Won't salvage this year, but might wake team up for next year.

Q is running the Hawks perfectly. We're basically up to 8th now, with a bullet. Joking aside, all coaches have a shelf life. Q's has expired. Considering what he's done, highly doubt he gets canned during the season. He'll be given the "opportunity" to move upstairs in the offseason. Culliton (the Hogs rookie coach) will get the job.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Q is running the Hawks perfectly. We're basically up to 8th now, with a bullet. Joking aside, all coaches have a shelf life. Q's has expired. Considering what he's done, highly doubt he gets canned during the season. He'll be given the "opportunity" to move upstairs in the offseason. Culliton (the Hogs rookie coach) will get the job.

Not sure he does get moved up or fired. Depends on what happens the rest of the way but I could see him getting one more year, especially if they get a top 5 pick. Then you can bring in the guy from Rockford. Unless he has lost the room. That's different. If it's guys having off years at the same time, not much Q can do.

The crappy power play is more concerning, since it's gone on for 3+ years.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
According to my recollection, the power play has been a problem for almost the entire time Q has been coach. I never understood why, especially with all of the firepower that team had for most of those seasons. Also, my predictions usually stink, but I have a feeling Q will walk after this season and try to get a job with a team in playoff contention. I just question if he wants to be part of a rebuild at this stage of his coaching career.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Two replies:

Power play, in my novice, albeit long watching fan viewpoint, they try to be too "cute," too perfect in shot selection. Granted they have/had some terrific snipers, but usually when they score several goals, either on the pp or even strength , it is when they get pucks on net and get screens, interference (legal type) and get REBOUNDS!!!!

Q: it would have to be mutually agreeable wouldn't it for him to leave? Or is he in last year of contract? Also, most coaches, Q included, are confident enough to turn things aroun, wrt Hawks. Finally, and in conjunction, probably will not be a complete rebuild IMHO

The Hawks can fire Q whenever they want to. Of course, they'd still owe him whatever's left on his contract. The money won't be an issue.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I checked and Quenville is signed for another two seasons. He makes $6 million per.

Just for giggles, what would you guys do if say, Buffalo offered their next two #1 picks for favorite son Patrick Kane. Would you do it?

I checked and Quenville is signed for another two seasons. He makes $6 million per.

Just for giggles, what would you guys do if say, Buffalo offered their next two #1 picks for favorite son Patrick Kane. Would you do it?

If they'd be willing to take Seabs too. Kanes got maybe another 5 years of being a top winger. I think I'd still give this team one last year, for old times sake ;)

Though I doubt that opinion is the popular one. Personally, I believe a team should be in three states: championship contender, young and improving, or tanking. Sneaking into the last playoff spot and getting swept is the most useless position a hockey (or any pro team can be in). Recent success of teams like the cubs and astros (the leafs and jets are decent comparisons inside the NHL) are a good example (though maybe not an exact one-to-one). Bears are a good example of exactly what not to do. They were mediocre for too long. Of course, its an art, not a science.

Sadly, Bowman sold the teams soul to win and win now. I dont think anyone can say he did the wrong thing in a general sense, but having a team full of 32+ yo guys who have 3+ years left on huge no trade clause contracts eventually bites you. Eventually, the hawks are going to suck for at least a few years, whether that started this year or in a couple, its going to happen.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
If they'd be willing to take Seabs too. Kanes got maybe another 5 years of being a top winger. I think I'd still give this team one last year, for old times sake ;)

Though I doubt that opinion is the popular one. Personally, I believe a team should be in three states: championship contender, young and improving, or tanking. Sneaking into the last playoff spot and getting swept is the most useless position a hockey (or any pro team can be in). Recent success of teams like the cubs and astros (the leafs and jets are decent comparisons inside the NHL) are a good example (though maybe not an exact one-to-one). Bears are a good example of exactly what not to do. They were mediocre for too long. Of course, its an art, not a science.

Sadly, Bowman sold the teams soul to win and win now. I dont think anyone can say he did the wrong thing in a general sense, but having a team full of 32+ yo guys who have 3+ years left on huge no trade clause contracts eventually bites you. Eventually, the hawks are going to suck for at least a few years, whether that started this year or in a couple, its going to happen.

They don't have a team "full of 32+ yo guys..." Bowman has rebuilt on the fly over the past year. Not saying they don't have problems. Some of them are very large. Need a new coach and resultant team reset.

They don't have a team "full of 32+ yo guys..." Bowman has rebuilt on the fly over the past year. Not saying they don't have problems. Some of them are very large. Need a new coach and resultant team reset.

Fair enough maybe it was an exaggeration but guys like Toews, Seabs, Anisimov, and recently Keith aren't living up to their contracts (well maybe Keith is playing to his contract, but thats because its relatively cheap), all of which have some sort of NMC attached to them (not even mentioning Crow, but if this injury doesn't derail him I'm fine with his contract). Toews, Seabs, and Anisimov make up around 30% of the cap space. Thats a big chunk of change going to declining players, all of whom have over 3 years left on their contracts. Not saying they need to go, but those figures severely limit a teams ability to sign free agents and Bowman has depleted their farm system over the years enough that homegrown guys aren't taking us to another championship.

I will agree Bowman's done about all he can to alleviate some of this teams money issues. But I dont see how anyone can argue those four guys are worth a third of the teams cap space. Hindsight is 20/20, and I still believe in Bowman, but he's really backed himself into a corner. Any further regressions are really gonna hurt this team.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
FYI - Toews and Anisimov aren't even 30 yet.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
According to my recollection, the power play has been a problem for almost the entire time Q has been coach. I never understood why, especially with all of the firepower that team had for most of those seasons. Also, my predictions usually stink, but I have a feeling Q will walk after this season and try to get a job with a team in playoff contention. I just question if he wants to be part of a rebuild at this stage of his coaching career.

Here are the stats for their Power play in the Q era:

2008-2009: 19.3% (13th)
2009-2010: 17.7% (17th)
2010-2011: 23.1% (4th)
2011-2012: 15.2% (26th)
2012-2013: 16.7% (19th)
2013-2014: 19.4% (10th)
2014-2015: 17.6% (20th)
2015-2016: 22.6% (2nd)
2016-2017: 18.0% (19th)
2017-2018: 15.8% (29th)

so half the time, they have been in the bottom half of the league and only this year are they in the bottom 5. Twice they have been in the top 5 and half the time, in the top half of the league.

doesn't seem to be a Q thing. Maybe an assistant coach thing? Kevin Dineen, who has been in charge of the power play the last two years, probably won't survive this year.

EDIT: I think that penalty kill is much more important than power play and I'd say the average at best PP during the cup years would bear that out. PK% in the cup years.2009-2010: 4th, 2012-2013: 3rd. 2014-2015: 10th.

EDIT: I got the stats from NHL.com.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Hartman plus a 5th round pick to Nashville for a 1st, 4th and Ejdsell, a 6'5" forward. Someone they were interested in signing either last year or the prior year.

Thoughts?

First rounder is good, but Preds will draft low.

Scouting report on Ejdsell?

Liked Hartman, young aggressive, feisty.

Also Tommy Wingels to Boston for 5th Rounder. Seems like a meh

Look what Evander Kane went for:2019 conditional first-round pick, 2019 fourth-round pick, forward Dan O'Regan. Not sure about O'Regan's future but thats essentially the same trade, and Kane is a much better player.

Look what Statsny went for:2018 first-round pick, rights to forward Erik Foley. That too is essentially the same trade as Hartman. The only thing Hartman has over these guys is youth. Both Statsny and Kane are much better hockey players at this point. Great deal if you ask me.

As for Wingels, hes a local guy whos a UFA next year. If he wants to be here he can just sign back with us in a few months. Too many draft picks is never a bad thing, maybe that pick can be packaged to move up somewhere else in the draft. Wingels is a replacement level player.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Look what Evander Kane went for:2019 conditional first-round pick, 2019 fourth-round pick, forward Dan O'Regan. Not sure about O'Regan's future but thats essentially the same trade, and Kane is a much better player.

Look what Statsny went for:2018 first-round pick, rights to forward Erik Foley. That too is essentially the same trade as Hartman. The only thing Hartman has over these guys is youth. Both Statsny and Kane are much better hockey players at this point. Great deal if you ask me.

As for Wingels, hes a local guy whos a UFA next year. If he wants to be here he can just sign back with us in a few months. Too many draft picks is never a bad thing, maybe that pick can be packaged to move up somewhere else in the draft. Wingels is a replacement level player.

Spot on. These were VG-great trades. Wingels could be back next season: he's be perfect for the 13th forward role. Edjsall will come over and get a long look next season. If he breaks into the lineup and proves himself, that's a great trade (big if, I know). Clearing space for Hayden and Sikura is important too.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
My God, Forsberg and Berube have to be the worst goaltending tandem in the NHL. If you have the stomach for it, watch the highlights from the Blues game on Sunday. Berube shouldn't even be in the league.

My God, Forsberg and Berube have to be the worst goaltending tandem in the NHL. If you have the stomach for it, watch the highlights from the Blues game on Sunday. Berube shouldn't even be in the league.

Very bad. But you are also comparing them to Crow (at least I am) who has been one of the best for the last several years.

bdutts

Houston, Texas

Ottawa's goalies were the worst I had seen when the Hawks pasted them something like 8-1 earlier in the year.

The problem with both Forsberg and Berube is consistency. Both have shown the ability to make great saves and have great games. Then, they come back the next game and it's like their first time out on the ice. Gotta figure out the consistency part.

Ottawa's goalies were the worst I had seen when the Hawks pasted them something like 8-1 earlier in the year.

The problem with both Forsberg and Berube is consistency. Both have shown the ability to make great saves and have great games. Then, they come back the next game and it's like their first time out on the ice. Gotta figure out the consistency part.

Which is explains why they are career back ups.

To be fair, isn't Berube a fourth or fifth backup?

Show how spoiled we have been, of course with Crawford, but also solid back ups like Darling

It was a heck of a run - 9 straight trips to the playoffs, 5 appearances in the WCF and 3 Stanley Cups. So grateful to have witnessed it. Time to move ahead and work towards our next dynasty.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Which is explains why they are career back ups.

To be fair, isn't Berube a fourth or fifth backup?

Show how spoiled we have been, of course with Crawford, but also solid back ups like Darling

Could be. Also hard to get in a groove if one is a backup, getting in max 20 games per year. Also hard to get in a groove if you are rotating constantly. But yeah, your point is valid.

Darling isn't having a good year, either. Not sure how much he would have mattered. Not sure how much a healthy Crawford would have mattered, either.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
I really can't see how Quenville can be back next season. This team has clearly quit on him, mainly the veterans. I think this is his tenth or eleventh year as head coach. Most of the best don't even last that long with one team.