Blackhawks '18-'19

Is there a movie on this flight?
Elmhurst
Hawks signing Cam Ward to a 1 year deal for $2.5M. Not sure how to embed a tweet. Source is Will Nault, @Fan960Nault.

Not a Ward fan, but, strictly as a backup, he may be decent. Like the term, don't love the money. But it is what it is. Couldn't give Forsberg the backup goalie spot after last season.

Crow better be back!

Elmhurst
Thoroughly underwhelming FA pick ups. That said, (1) their terms are short; and (2) no deal >>> bad deal. How many of these GMs are going to have buyer's remorse in a year or two?

Hawks will try to move Hossa's contract, bundled w/Oesterle, Gus or a mid round pick. Anisimov is on the block too. ~50% chance he goes.

One more item of note: Hawks are going to carry 3 goalies. Forsberg has to clear waivers and the Hawks aren't going to risk having him claimed.

Thoroughly underwhelming FA pick ups. That said, (1) their terms are short; and (2) no deal >>> bad deal. How many of these GMs are going to have buyer's remorse in a year or two?

Hawks will try to move Hossa's contract, bundled w/Oesterle, Gus or a mid round pick. Anisimov is on the block too. ~50% chance he goes.

One more item of note: Hawks are going to carry 3 goalies. Forsberg has to clear waivers and the Hawks aren't going to risk having him claimed.
Agree with you on the free agent signings, but I don't think they had that much to work with cap-wise. I heard they have about $3 million left. Too many old guys on payroll with no trade clauses. I'm going to go out on a limb and say its doubtful this team will contend for the playoffs this season. For Bowman to simply hope that some of the veterans will raise their level of play is pollyana-ish. You can't turn back the hands of time.

Agree with you on the free agent signings, but I don't think they had that much to work with cap-wise. I heard they have about $3 million left. Too many old guys on payroll with no trade clauses. I'm going to go out on a limb and say its doubtful this team will contend for the playoffs this season. For Bowman to simply hope that some of the veterans will raise their level of play is pollyana-ish. You can't turn back the hands of time.
I dont think its crazy to believe this team could at bare minimum contend for a WC spot. In fact, I think they will be just about that--average. 16 teams make the playoffs, I think the NHL has some of the best parity in sports, so everyone has at least a shot at advances to the finals.

That being said, that hinges heavily on some of the Dmen not named Keith playing at top 4 level and the return of Crawford. If either of those things dont happen, this teams window is officially closed.

Elmhurst
The Hawks seeming obsession with re-acquiring their old players is strange.
The trade was to secure cap room, plain and simple. Hino was sacrificed, to move Hossa's contract. AZ sent us trash, but no biggie. Krugs has a year left @ ~$2.6. That's nothing. Hawks gain beaucoup cap room: 4M this season, 6.8 next, 5.275 year 3.

I was pretty high on Hino, but we have Sikura (more skill) and Kahun (equally fast).

Bowman now has the flexibility to make real moves. Great trade, IMO.

Houston, Texas
The trade was to secure cap room, plain and simple. Hino was sacrificed, to move Hossa's contract. AZ sent us trash, but no biggie. Krugs has a year left @ ~$2.6. That's nothing. Hawks gain beaucoup cap room: 4M this season, 6.8 next, 5.275 year 3.

I was pretty high on Hino, but we have Sikura (more skill) and Kahun (equally fast).

Bowman now has the flexibility to make real moves. Great trade, IMO.
That young right winger has some skill and could be a 3rd liner but the other two guys, yeah, they aren't anything.