Blackhawks '18-'19

Q had to go. 100% the correct call.

Am high on Colliton. Think he's got the right stuff.
Timing is kinda frustrating, other than that, Q was going to be sacked sometime in the next year or so. He's arguably the best coach of his generation, but even the greats run their course. I think he coaches for another 5ish years somewhere and does moderately well. I think we can argue about whos to blame for the teams decline, but the real culprit is age.

I've only heard good things about Colliton.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I'm not sure how any of the roster problems are Q's fault. This seems like Stan Bowman finding a scapegoat for his own decisions, as well as the heavy hand of enforced NHL parity and below-projection salary cap growth.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
If firing Q this early was an option, why not just do it after last season? What record should the Hawks have at this point? Bowman should have been shown the door also. I will say Q seemed to have trouble developing young players.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
I'm not sure how any of the roster problems are Q's fault. This seems like Stan Bowman finding a scapegoat for his own decisions, as well as the heavy hand of enforced NHL parity and below-projection salary cap growth.

This is definitely a big part of it.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Timing is kinda frustrating, other than that, Q was going to be sacked sometime in the next year or so. He's arguably the best coach of his generation, but even the greats run their course. I think he coaches for another 5ish years somewhere and does moderately well. I think we can argue about whos to blame for the teams decline, but the real culprit is age.

I've only heard good things about Colliton.

Second most wins in history. I don't think there is any arguing he's the best coach of his generation.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
If firing Q this early was an option, why not just do it after last season? What record should the Hawks have at this point? Bowman should have been shown the door also. I will say Q seemed to have trouble developing young players.

My thought is that they were hoping they'd get bounce back years from Toews, Seabrook, Keith and a healthy Crawford and that would propel them into the playoffs. What they didn't consider is that Schmaltz and Saad haven't been very good (Saad is playing much better now) and the D is just flat out horrible.

Had they done what you suggested (I kind of agree with it), it would suggest a rebuild and I don't think they wanted to relay that message to the fans.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
My thought is that they were hoping they'd get bounce back years from Toews, Seabrook, Keith and a healthy Crawford and that would propel them into the playoffs. What they didn't consider is that Schmaltz and Saad haven't been very good (Saad is playing much better now) and the D is just flat out horrible.

Had they done what you suggested (I kind of agree with it), it would suggest a rebuild and I don't think they wanted to relay that message to the fans.
To think that Toews, Seabrook, and Keith can turn back the hands of time is silly and when Bowman stated his hope for this at the postseason press conference last year, quite frankly it was insulting to the fans imo.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
To think that Toews, Seabrook, and Keith can turn back the hands of time is silly and when Bowman stated his hope for this at the postseason press conference last year, quite frankly it was insulting to the fans imo.

Well those guys have long term deals and no-move clauses and are pretty untradeable at this point, so what do you do?

Well those guys have long term deals and no-move clauses and are pretty untradeable at this point, so what do you do?
Regret ever signing them to the type of deal they did in the first place, though honestly I think the only thing Bowman messed up was giving out so many NMCs.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Regret ever signing them to the type of deal they did in the first place, though honestly I think the only thing Bowman messed up was giving out so many NMCs.

Those can be waived and have been over the years.

bdutts

Houston, Texas

Looks like a Toews did, so far this year. Keith and Seabrook have been better than last year but not by much.

As a Blues fan, I'd love to see them fire Yeo and bring Q back.

Though I have seen places like Florida (where Dale Tallon is now) and Los Angeles mentioned as landing spots along with (more in terms of long term) Detroit and Edmonton.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
As a Blues fan, I'd love to see them fire Yeo and bring Q back.

Though I have seen places like Florida (where Dale Tallon is now) and Los Angeles mentioned as landing spots along with (more in terms of long term) Detroit and Edmonton.

How about first coach for the Seattle franchise? Expansion doesn’t fit but seeing what LV did last year, maybe it’s intriguing to him.

Those can be waived and have been over the years.
Sure they can... But why would a player? There's less obvious reasons why players want them, but they are more than just to prevent trades to undesirable locations. Don't act like they are just some random clause added to contracts for fluff.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Sure they can... But why would a player? There's less obvious reasons why players want them, but they are more than just to prevent trades to undesirable locations. Don't act like they are just some random clause added to contracts for fluff.

Where did I say they were fluff? All I said was that a NTC is NOT a total impediment to trading a guy. Of course it makes it more challenging. In the NHL, with the hard cap, salary cap hit is probably more of a detriment to a trade than a NTC in my opinion.

Why would a guy waive? A guy may waive because he's not wanted in one location (feelings hurt), maybe a guy waives because he can get his contract renegotiated/added on to. Maybe a guy waives because he has a chance at a Cup where he wouldn't necessarily get one in his current city. Maybe a guy will waive because he and his family have a chance to move to a more favorable city (for whatever reason). Maybe a guy waives because something changed in his current organization since he signed that deal and he doesn't want to be there any more for whatever reason. These are the reasons that come to my mind without much thought. I'm sure there are more.

EDIT: I do agree that they seem to hand out a lot of those clauses but I don't know how they stack up against the rest of the league.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
You can't really do anything other than play out the string with them. My point was to think that those guys are going to revert back to previous form is not realistic nor should it be part of your planning.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
You can't really do anything other than play out the string with them. My point was to think that those guys are going to revert back to previous form is not realistic nor should it be part of your planning.

Isn't that circular?

You shouldn't plan on them returning to form, but you're stuck with them taking up all your cap room, soooo......

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
The Lose for Hughes sweepstakes are on. Also, Forsberg is likely to be traded to the Kings for a 2019 high 3rd (they lost Campbell for 6 weeks).

The Lose for Hughes sweepstakes are on. Also, Forsberg is likely to be traded to the Kings for a 2019 high 3rd (they lost Campbell for 6 weeks).
What about Cam Ward? I think he is 1yr $3M and was to be an emergency plan for Crawford.

bdutts

Houston, Texas

Is he a difference maker like Dahlin this past year? I know nothing of him.