Blackhawks '19-'20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Fully expecting Bowman to pick Byram or Turcotte. Either way, what a gift!

Despite having a hefty amount of cap space, I really, really hope Bowman is very careful in the FA market. I expect Bowman to be very active in the trade market. Hoping we can swoop in on cap tight teams (Toronto, Tampa Bay) and make some moves.

Very high on Kubalik joining the team. Also, high on Kurashev, but he might need some time in the A before he's ready. Bummer that Mitchell's staying in school. Joker should be on the team all season, so that will definitely help. Finally, hats off to Lankinen. He was outstanding in the World Championship. Looks like great competition for the backup tender spot.

Last edited:

bdutts

Houston, Texas
I'm gonna say Turcotte, but who really knows?

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
I'm gonna say Turcotte, but who really knows?

It wouldn't surprise me if they choose to add some size and go with Cozens, who's 6'3" and has the frame to add some weight.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
It wouldn't surprise me if they choose to add some size and go with Cozens, who's 6'3" and has the frame to add some weight.

It would surprise and enrage me. Bowman/Kelley favor skill and speed over size. Byram and Turcotte >> Cozens. That said, he's certainly a bigger kid.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
It would surprise and enrage me. Bowman/Kelley favor skill and speed over size. Byram and Turcotte >> Cozens. That said, he's certainly a bigger kid.

Yeah - but you can't have an entire team full of 5'8"-5'10" speedsters. You need a bit of speed and size. Cozens has both.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Yeah - but you can't have an entire team full of 5'8"-5'10" speedsters. You need a bit of speed and size. Cozens has both.

Turcotte measured 5' 11", 185 lbs. at the Combine. Byram is 6' 1", 194 lbs. Not smurfs. To my point, Byram and Turcotte >> Cozens, IMO.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Actually, I'm starting to warm more to Byram as the guy to take at #3. That does give them a lot of D prospects in the system but those can be used to acquire forwards or goalies.

Of course, if LA Kings absolutely need Byram at #3, then the #5 and #20(?) plus a little more wouldn't be a bad way to go, either.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Actually, I'm starting to warm more to Byram as the guy to take at #3. That does give them a lot of D prospects in the system but those can be used to acquire forwards or goalies.

Of course, if LA Kings absolutely need Byram at #3, then the #5 and #20(?) plus a little more wouldn't be a bad way to go, either.

Yes, good D-men > good forwards. Absolutely can flip one or more of these kids for VG forwards. Not saying I want to trade him, but imagine what Joker could fetch.

WRT the Kings, it all depends on how you feel about Zegras vs. Turcotte. That #21 could net Tomasino, Newhook or Broberg (big D), so something to consider, for sure.

2 weeks ago, was expecting Byram. Now, I think it'll be Turcotte. Draft can't come soon enough.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Correction: Kings second 1st round pick is #22.

If they really, really like Zegras, that's the move to make: #3 for #5, #22 and a 3rd round pick. Still think it's Turcotte, lol.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Yes, good D-men > good forwards. Absolutely can flip one or more of these kids for VG forwards. Not saying I want to trade him, but imagine what Joker could fetch.

WRT the Kings, it all depends on how you feel about Zegras vs. Turcotte. That #21 could net Tomasino, Newhook or Broberg (big D), so something to consider, for sure.

2 weeks ago, was expecting Byram. Now, I think it'll be Turcotte. Draft can't come soon enough.

I’m the other way around, was thinking it was Turcotte but now think it’s Byram. 😀

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Kahun traded to Pittsburgh for Ollie Maatta. 24 year old LHD.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Kahun traded to Pittsburgh for Ollie Maatta. 24 year old LHD.

Don't love this trade, it's a gamble that Maatta returns to past form. That said, in the context of where we are, I get it. We couldn't close on Murray (ask too high), so we moved on to plan B.

Is a revision to form possible? Given his health issues, which also cut into his training, and his age, heck, yes. Change of scenery should be a real motivator. Not in love with his contract, but love that we have an easy out (⅓ buyout because he's under 25). If he does revert back to form, a #4 D for ~$4M is absolutely fine.

As to Kahun, I liked him, but he was redundant (w/guys who are ready now). Wish him the best. He should thrive in Pittsburgh.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Friday can't come soon enough. Still thinking it's Turcotte. The Maatta trade doesn't make it a lock, but I think it's a tell. Wish the NHL would just announce Hughes and Kakko and go straight to #3, lol. FWIW, I'm good with Byram too. Others, not so much.

With the Sharks signing Karlsson, they have huge cap problems. Pavelski might be a casualty. He'd look awfully good in a Blackhawks sweater. 3 years, $6M AAV. Actually, a 1 year deal for $9M (while we have space), with a handshake deal (a la Kruger) for 2 more years @ $3M would be awesome. Pavelski is a Wisconsin native.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Unless the Blackhawks are intentionally leaking bad info to get a team below them to move up, it's looking like Byram may be the choice.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Don't love this trade, it's a gamble that Maatta returns to past form. That said, in the context of where we are, I get it. We couldn't close on Murray (ask too high), so we moved on to plan B.

Is a revision to form possible? Given his health issues, which also cut into his training, and his age, heck, yes. Change of scenery should be a real motivator. Not in love with his contract, but love that we have an easy out (⅓ buyout because he's under 25). If he does revert back to form, a #4 D for ~$4M is absolutely fine.

As to Kahun, I liked him, but he was redundant (w/guys who are ready now). Wish him the best. He should thrive in Pittsburgh.

Take a look at the free agent pool for D men. The deal looks pretty good.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Unless the Blackhawks are intentionally leaking bad info to get a team below them to move up, it's looking like Byram may be the choice.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to pump up the value of him at #3 in order for either the Rangers to bite or to have someone trade up and take him there.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
he Hawks are one team that could benefit from the salary cap being 1-2M short of what was originally projected. What I've heard though is that there is a concern that the cap could be fairly stagnant for the next 2 years. This is making NHL GMs think twice about the contracts they are taking on.

What I was told specifically to the Hawks was that this concern actually has really helped the value of Brandon Saad and Artem Anisimov. You know what you're getting in both players and they are both signed until the summer of 2021. This is the time that the new NHL TV deal should be in place and the league could see a huge spike in the salary cap.

After some of the big dollars being thrown around already with Karlsson, Hayes and soon-to-be Trouba, there is more buzz around the league that maybe trading for players with current deals with 2-3 years remaining might be the best way to go.

"This makes the Olli Maatta trade look better every day," a contact told me.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=100069

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
he Hawks are one team that could benefit from the salary cap being 1-2M short of what was originally projected.

If the cap comes in at ~$82M (instead of the previously projected $83M), that's going to put TB, Toronto, Vegas and San Jose in an even worse bind. Bowman should make out like a bandit.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
This could finally be the year that offer sheets are in vogue. Timo Meier is a prime candidate.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
If the cap comes in at ~$82M (instead of the previously projected $83M), that's going to put TB, Toronto, Vegas and San Jose in an even worse bind. Bowman should make out like a bandit.

Yes, hopefully!

bdutts

Houston, Texas
This could finally be the year that offer sheets are in vogue. Timo Meier is a prime candidate.

Or if you really wanted to screw over Toronto, try to sign Marner to one and then when they match, start picking off other guys. :)

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Hawks select Kirby Dach at #3 - who BTW wasn't mentioned anywhere in this thread.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Hawks opted for the potential home run, over the safer, stand-up double. Last year I wanted Wahlstrom badly. Boqvist certainly appears to be a better pick. Joker was a great pick. Going to defer to the scouting department here. Bowman/Kelley have cojones grande, but the reward overrode the risk.

Dach's ceiling seems higher than Turcotte's. That said, I expect Turcotte to make a bigger splash initially (college season not withstanding). Will be interesting to track these two over the next 5 years.

Toews-Strome-Dach-Kampf is great. Dach has a golden opportunity to make the team. And being mentored by Toews, can't underestimate that.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Hawks opted for the potential home run, over the safer, stand-up double. Last year I wanted Wahlstrom badly. Boqvist certainly appears to be a better pick. Joker was a great pick. Going to defer to the scouting department here. Bowman/Kelley have cojones grande, but the reward overrode the risk.

Dach's ceiling seems higher than Turcotte's. That said, I expect Turcotte to make a bigger splash initially (college season not withstanding). Will be interesting to track these two over the next 5 years.

Toews-Strome-Dach-Kampf is great. Dach has a golden opportunity to make the team. And being mentored by Toews, can't underestimate that.
Yes, love the heir apparent pick to Toews and allow them to play together for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.