Blackhawks '19-'20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a good question as to which contracts actually have value. Certainly the goaltenders, but I don't think there's much that's attractive for the non-ELC skaters, assuming Kane won't be dealt. Keith with a 5.5 cap hit for the next 3 years is questionable to me. Gus' numbers are so down that a 2nd would be a great return - he really needs to be traded regardless of the return. I think Saad will have deadline value next year but not so much this year. Murphy has positive value but if we deal him then I really don't know what the plan is for next year. It just feels like we're riding this out for a while.

Replying to myself here because I failed to consider the idea of the Hawks retaining salary. If we retain on Saad then I think he could be a very nice trade deadline chip even this year. I like him as a player and he can absolutely be a difference maker in a middle six role for a playoff team. I just think he's overpaid at a 6M cap hit for what he brings during the regular season.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Good news/bad news: Keith practiced yesterday and may play Wednesday. de Haan is seeking second opinions on his shoulder injury (another shoulder surgery is what he's facing). So, he probably done for the season, if not his career. Ugh.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Replying to myself here because I failed to consider the idea of the Hawks retaining salary. If we retain on Saad then I think he could be a very nice trade deadline chip even this year. I like him as a player and he can absolutely be a difference maker in a middle six role for a playoff team. I just think he's overpaid at a 6M cap hit for what he brings during the regular season.

If Saad could finish, he'd double his point total easily. He's been VG this season, outside of his inability to finish.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Good news/bad news: Keith practiced yesterday and may play Wednesday. de Haan is seeking second opinions on his shoulder injury (another shoulder surgery is what he's facing). So, he probably done for the season, if not his career. Ugh.

Haven't heard anyone call this a career-ending injury. Where is this coming from?

If Saad could finish, he'd double his point total easily. He's been VG this season, outside of his inability to finish.

He seems like a guy who should be a 2nd line winger getting 60-65 points per season. The reality is he's never been that guy. I thought it was a terrible deal when CBJ signed him to it, and then we traded a difference-maker for that contract. :oops:

His game translates well to the playoffs, so I think he would have value to a contender at a lower cap hit. Sadly it looks like we once again won't see him perform in the playoffs for the Hawks.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
He seems like a guy who should be a 2nd line winger getting 60-65 points per season. The reality is he's never been that guy. I thought it was a terrible deal when CBJ signed him to it, and then we traded a difference-maker for that contract. :oops:

Couldn't have afforded Panarin so why not get something for him? I think Panarin's cap hit is 11M+.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

His game translates well to the playoffs, so I think he would have value to a contender at a lower cap hit. Sadly it looks like we once again won't see him perform in the playoffs for the Hawks.
Couldn't have afforded Panarin so why not get something for him? I think Panarin's cap hit is 11M+.

Right. Can't just compare the players, need to look at their contracts too (especially, in a hard cap league). Panarin had 2 years left, Saad 4. Bowman knew he couldn't re-sign Panarin.

As to Saad, he's having a good year. Has been noticeable (in a good way), more often than not. If only he had better mitts. Nevertheless, he's going to be a tempting add for some contenders.

Right. Can't just compare the players, need to look at their contracts too (especially, in a hard cap league). Panarin had 2 years left, Saad 4. Bowman knew he couldn't re-sign Panarin.

As to Saad, he's having a good year. Has been noticeable (in a good way), more often than not. If only he had better mitts. Nevertheless, he's going to be a tempting add for some contenders.

To be fair, that trade for Saad also returned Forsberg. Stan has more hits than misses on young or unknown goaltenders, so that miss is understandable. I definitely disagree with the idea that it was wise to trade Panarin in the summer of 2017 because of concerns we wouldn't be able to sign him in the summer of 2019. When Stan signed Seabs after the 2015 Cup I have to think the hope was to win one more Cup with this core within the following 4-5 years. He struck gold with finding Panarin and then re-signing him to a team-friendly 6m cap hit. But it seems to me he pivoted on the original plan and tried to extend the window rather than focusing on just winning one more. It hasn't worked out.

Hopefully Saad isn't hurt badly. Obviously it looks bad when you can't put weight on a leg. Nice to get a win tonight. Lehner was great again.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
To be fair, that trade for Saad also returned Forsberg. Stan has more hits than misses on young or unknown goaltenders, so that miss is understandable. I definitely disagree with the idea that it was wise to trade Panarin in the summer of 2017 because of concerns we wouldn't be able to sign him in the summer of 2019. When Stan signed Seabs after the 2015 Cup I have to think the hope was to win one more Cup with this core within the following 4-5 years. He struck gold with finding Panarin and then re-signing him to a team-friendly 6m cap hit. But it seems to me he pivoted on the original plan and tried to extend the window rather than focusing on just winning one more. It hasn't worked out.

Hopefully Saad isn't hurt badly. Obviously it looks bad when you can't put weight on a leg. Nice to get a win tonight. Lehner was great again.

I think they said a couple of weeks for Saad so that would mean sprain instead of break. I guess they'll see now they are back in Chicago.

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
They go on the road and get back to back wins against good playoff teams and come home and get destroyed by the Devils. What is wrong with these guys?

They go on the road and get back to back wins against good playoff teams and come home and get destroyed by the Devils. What is wrong with these guys?

Even the wins were very different. They were really bad for the first two periods against the Jets but somehow had the lead because of Lehner. Then I thought they were really good the entire game against the Avs, even when they were down 3-1. That was the first time in a long time I can remember them being on even footing with a good team without a plus-plus goaltending backstop.

I generally say it's hard to evaluate hockey without being there and seeing the whole ice, but it's obvious even on TV that their defensive structure is terrible most nights. When you combine that with average to below average goaltending then you get last night.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Seabs and de Haan out for the season. Shaw may be too. Hawks sitting on a mountain of LTIR money. Fully expecting Bowman to parlay that into picks/prospects in return for taking expiring contracts from contenders.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
4 points out of the 2nd wild card. Not going to get ahead of myself, but the Hawks have been playing well of late. Strome is day to day and Saad should be back in a week. Big game in Toronto Saturday.

4 points out of the 2nd wild card. Not going to get ahead of myself, but the Hawks have been playing well of late. Strome is day to day and Saad should be back in a week. Big game in Toronto Saturday.

I was wondering if someone would kick the tires on this thread.

It's odd, they aren't dominant like they were as recently as 3 years ago. But they aren't a doormat like the last couple of years. I'd just like to have a true vested interest in playoff hockey again.

4 points out of the 2nd wild card. Not going to get ahead of myself, but the Hawks have been playing well of late.

It also helps playing two of the lesser teams in the East the past couple nights. And the Central is a bit down compared to prior years after you get past the top 3 of St. Louis, Dallas, and Colorado.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Good win tonight. Big game tomorrow. Keep it rolling.

Goal of the season, IMO, by Kubalik. He's been great lately. 20 goals, 18 even strength goals. Great find by the scouting department.

Status
Not open for further replies.