Blackhawks '19-'20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
One more Dach factor: kid is still growing into his body. The choice appears to be a long play. In Kelley I trust.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
With the 43rd pick, the Hawks selected 6'6" D-man Alex Vlasic. He was projected to go late on the first round, so this appears to be a bit of a steal.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
They had a great draft. Got guys in lower rounds that were projected higher. Drafted a lot of big skilled guys.

Not sure I'm a huge fan of adding these contracts. Add in Murphy and Seabs and you've got a decent chunk of cap tied up, not to mention aging Keith. I do however think this helps our roster for next year. The problem is they are signed for multiple years, and I would really like to keep Gustafsson. Jokiharu is probably ready, and theres a few more guys that should be in the NHL in a couple years.

I guess more than anything I'm concerned our forwards aren't up to snuff, and I would've liked to see maybe one really good d man signed for 8.5 million (though that's easier said that done), rather than two guys who are probably the 4/5th best d men on an average team. Really have to trust Bowman now, this is his show.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Not sure I'm a huge fan of adding these contracts. Add in Murphy and Seabs and you've got a decent chunk of cap tied up, not to mention aging Keith. I do however think this helps our roster for next year. The problem is they are signed for multiple years, and I would really like to keep Gustafsson. Jokiharu is probably ready, and theres a few more guys that should be in the NHL in a couple years.

I guess more than anything I'm concerned our forwards aren't up to snuff, and I would've liked to see maybe one really good d man signed for 8.5 million (though that's easier said that done), rather than two guys who are probably the 4/5th best d men on an average team. Really have to trust Bowman now, this is his show.

Murphy is probably going to be moved. Seabs will be a compliance buyout (2020) or LTIR or traded to a team struggling to make the cap floor (Ottawa) (most to least likely). Anisimov is owed only $5M for 2 seasons after July 1. He'll be easy to move. Saad could be moved, if necessary (not advocating it at this time).

Our new Ds' contracts are pound the table bargains compared to UFAs.

The big question on D is what to do with Gus. ~$5M for 4 years (wishful thinking?), I'd do that in a heartbeat. When Boqvist is ready to take over, Gus can be easily flipped.

bdutts

Houston, Texas

Up to snuff how? If you say how the forwards play D, I'd agree. They scored plenty last year, that wasn't their problem.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
I would love to get Anders Lee.

Would be surprised if this happens. He's looking for long term and Bowman was on the radio yesterday saying that he's looking for 1 year deals for forwards who can play on the PK. However, that could change if Anisimov was moved or Seabrook.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
Murphy is probably going to be moved. Seabs will be a compliance buyout (2020) or LTIR or traded to a team struggling to make the cap floor (Ottawa) (most to least likely). Anisimov is owed only $5M for 2 seasons after July 1. He'll be easy to move. Saad could be moved, if necessary (not advocating it at this time).

Our new Ds' contracts are pound the table bargains compared to UFAs.

The big question on D is what to do with Gus. ~$5M for 4 years (wishful thinking?), I'd do that in a heartbeat. When Boqvist is ready to take over, Gus can be easily flipped.

I'd wait to see if Gustafsson is really all he's cracked up to be, unless some other GM is going to make a silly offer to take him off your hands. He's had one good offensive season and is pretty poor defensively. I would want to see if he can repeat it before handing out big bucks.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I'd wait to see if Gustafsson is really all he's cracked up to be, unless some other GM is going to make a silly offer to take him off your hands. He's had one good offensive season and is pretty poor defensively. I would want to see if he can repeat it before handing out big bucks.

If Gus produces like last season, he's going to get $6M+, maybe $7M. Yeah, there's a risk. And his D is far, far better than the tire fire it was. Still prone to major gaffes (which everyone remembers), but his D is at least average, and it's improving.

bdutts

Houston, Texas
If Gus produces like last season, he's going to get $6M+, maybe $7M. Yeah, there's a risk. And his D is far, far better than the tire fire it was. Still prone to major gaffes (which everyone remembers), but his D is at least average, and it's improving.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on his defense. However, with a full training camp with Colliton and his system, he may improve enough to be serviceable. Serviceable would be acceptable with his offense.

KBLEE

Montgomery, IL
Shaw's cap hit is only $3.9MM. He is also only 27 and was on pace for 60+ points last season before the injury.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Shaw's cap hit is only $3.9MM. He is also only 27 and was on pace for 60+ points last season before the injury.

This.

47 points in nothing to sneeze at (in 63 games) and adds a component the Hawks definitely needed. Shaw can slot in anywhere, has maximum versatility. He's a brings a metric stuff ton of grit, intangibles and he's a plus penalty killer (major need addressed). I’d imagine Shaw’s AAV will end up being less than the guys they could’ve grabbed on the UFA market, probably a lot less. And a lot less term too. Those alternatives (e.g., Dzingel, Donskoi) have less versatility.

Now, move Anisimov (for a 2nd?), get $4.5M cap space back.

Last edited:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
This.

47 points in nothing to sneeze at (in 63 games) and adds a component the Hawks definitely needed. Shaw can slot in anywhere, has maximum versatility. He's a brings a metric stuff ton of grit, intangibles and he's a plus penalty killer (major need addressed). I’d imagine Shaw’s AAV will end up being less than the guys they could’ve grabbed on the UFA market, probably a lot less. And a lot less term too. Those alternatives (e.g., Dzingel, Donskoi) have less versatility.

Now, move Anisimov (for a 2nd?), get $4.5M cap space back.

[time limit expired]

is nothing, you idjit!

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Zawaski said on last night’s podcast that Lee (Anders) wants to play in Chicago, and is willing to sign for less in Chicago than Minnesota is offering him. He'd be an awfully good fit. Don't want more than 5 years though.

Lee-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-Shaw
Saad-Dach-Sikura
Caggiula-Kampf-Kubalik
Perlini

That is a VVG forward group.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
If Panarin is Long Island bound (as looks likely), Anisimov will probably be going there soon.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

Don't get me wrong, I always really liked Shaw and I feel like that's the kind of player you win with, but it's still just really weird the way the same players keep coming back. Sharp, Versteeg, Campbell, Saad, Oduya, Ladd, now Shaw, am I missing anybody?

I'm not sure that's a sign of an FO that has a great idea of how to move forward. But we'll see.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Yeah, with the silly money that's being rumored ($9M per), hard pass on Lee. Shaw looks like a bargain (compare to Kevin Hayes). Injury is the big risk there. Think Bowman will be bargain basement hunting (e.g. Carpenter, Tanev).

The Central Division is going to be TOUGH. Pacific will be top heavy and poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.