Bobby Roundtree suffers severe spinal injury

Prayers to Bobby and Family- May God bless you with his great power of prayer and healing.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
Embeds a refreshingly non-exploitative video showing the first responders' boat coming towards shore (you can't see Bobby). Video ends with an overhead pan of the sandbar party he was attending. I never heard of such a thing, but it looks like it could be fun.

Unfortunately happens sometimes out in the sandbars. I was actually boating last Friday and went out to a sandbar not far from John's Pass (not this one). The tricky part is you can't always tell visually how deep the water is. Most of the time you can see the color change indicating that it's shallow, but not always. You might be a over a quarter mile out from shore and the water might be 3 feet deep (hence the sandbar in the first place) while looking completely normal. Makes for tricky boating too.

But, yes, they can be fun in terms of only being accessible by boat and fairly easy to dock near.

DReq

Always Illini
Central Illinois
So sad for this young man and his family. I can only hope he is able to recover at least to complete a valuable Illinois degree even if football is not a big part of it. I am especially happy to hear that Lovie is staying down there with him. The gentleman has character beyond most in his position.

Recover, Bobby. The Illinois family will be supporting you whatever the path.

aiwpfan

Springfield, Il
Video ends with an overhead pan of the sandbar party he was attending. I never heard of such a thing, but it looks like it could be fun.

I've been on that very spot. Depending on the tides, the water is waist deep to dry enough to put up a volleyball net and play a game. Its a very popular spot for the locals.

What I was told was even more positive than what the paper was reporting. Lets just hope and pray that it is true.

That sounds insane (but obviously great) to go from severe spinal injury to whatever “more positive” means. Who was his surgeon? Jesus?

Deleted member 654622

D
I am not a doctor by no means, but how awesome would it be if ends up being a case where the trauma/swelling caused some paralysis? I believe I heard he needed surgery so the doctors could just find out what was wrong with him. Maybe as the swelling goes down, his functions come back. IDK just wishful thinking

I am not a doctor by no means, but how awesome would it be if ends up being a case where the trauma/swelling caused some paralysis? I believe I heard he needed surgery so the doctors could just find out what was wrong with him.

Maybe so, but this is what an MRI is for.

Unfortunately happens sometimes out in the sandbars. I was actually boating last Friday and went out to a sandbar not far from John's Pass (not this one). The tricky part is you can't always tell visually how deep the water is. Most of the time you can see the color change indicating that it's shallow, but not always. You might be a over a quarter mile out from shore and the water might be 3 feet deep (hence the sandbar in the first place) while looking completely normal. Makes for tricky boating too.

But, yes, they can be fun in terms of only being accessible by boat and fairly easy to dock near.

Have you have ever been to the sandbar just N. of Anclote Island? At low tide, there are around 100 acres of Caribbean blue water surrounding the sandbar that looks deep but is only 2" deep. Thank goodness for Garmin's.

tupper article

Doesn't sound like he knows much, but one comment makes it sound like they are expecting a long haul on this one.

The university has said it will soon reveal the specifics but there’s a plan being finalized to make donations a simple procedure. He faces daunting medical costs.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
not sure if anyone around these boards is a racing fan, but in case anyone wants to learn about recovery from spinal injuries (and read/see some truly inspiring stuff), I'd encourage you to learn about Robert Wickens. He's an indycar driver that had a nasty accident last year and had severe spinal chord injuries (i guess this is also relevant given the Indy 500 is this weekend, and I'm sure he'll be attending - though obviously not driving). I have no idea how it compares to Bobby's injuries, but at least some context. One thing I learned from Robert is that it takes days/weeks to even understand the full extent of the injuries (they typically have the patient heavily medicated to keep swelling down and they won't know exactly what's wrong until they can take the patient off those meds, which can be a while).

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a27546422/the-long-rise-of-robert-wickens/

https://twitter.com/robertwickens?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

My two oldest grandchildren " age 11 ", always go to the season opener with my wife and me. Bobby was their favorite player. I'm going to talk with them this weekend about this tragedy. He's not only a great football player, but a great person. I know we are all heartbroken, and Illini Nation will be there for him and his family. I'm proud to be a life long Illini fan, and he will be in all our prayers.

Anyone have an idea of whether the UI coaches have returned, and whether Bobby has been released from the hospital?