Bowl Games 2017-18

Deleted member 654622

D
That was what the media kept saying too but it was only s lopsided score due to turnovers. Without turnovers, USC dominated that game.

I am confused on how you came to this conclusion. USC's drives were:
3 plays 25yrds Fumble
7 plays 39yrds Punt
4 plays 19yrds Punt
1 Play - Int
4 plays 17yrds Punt
10 plays 60yrds Fumble
6 plays 21yrds Fumble
3 plays 15yrds Touchdown
3 plays 5yrds end of half
3 plays 2yrds Punt
9 plays 41yrds Punt
8 plays 66yrds Missed FG
4 plays 70yrds Fumble
17 plays 53yrds Turnover on Downs

Sure USC had more passing yards because they got their butt kicked. Darnold threw 45 passes to Barrett's 17. OSU didn't need to pass, they ran for 163yrds to USC's 57 with only 2 less attempts.

Anyone who watched that game saw that Ohio State is in a league above USC. They dominating them. In fact the score really doesn't reflect the true gap between the two schools.

Deleted member 654622

D
WhiteRhino I think you make a very valid point. What I am reeeaaallly hoping to get out of this bowl season is for the national media to stop giving the SEC a pass. 10 years ago, top to bottom, they were head and shoulders above everyone else. That has not been the case for the last few years. However, Nick Sabin continues to get away with not playing any away games against nonconference opponents (They always play at a "neutral site" which happens to be 1 of the 3 "neutral sites" games they play every year) and playing 2 games against South West North School of the Mechanically Blind (essentially 2 extra bye weeks). They have gotten away with it because of the false narrative that their in conference games are so much better than anyone else.

A prime example is this year, Alabama's 2 best wins are against LSU (lost to TROY!) and Mississippi State(currently losing to Louisville). Yet they still got into the playoff. I am not saying Alabama is not one of the top 4 teams in the country. What I am saying is they should be held to the same standard as everyone else.

USC did NOT dominate that game. OSU defense dominated the reason for the yardage was after halftime all OSU did was run n play defense USC offense was trying to play catch up the whole second half. USC only score came off a turnover OSU defense manhandled USC OLINE

WhiteRhino I think you make a very valid point. What I am reeeaaallly hoping to get out of this bowl season is for the national media to stop giving the SEC a pass. 10 years ago, top to bottom, they were head and shoulders above everyone else. That has not been the case for the last few years. However, Nick Sabin continues to get away with not playing any away games against nonconference opponents (They always play at a "neutral site" which happens to be 1 of the 3 "neutral sites" games they play every year) and playing 2 games against South West North School of the Mechanically Blind (essentially 2 extra bye weeks). They have gotten away with it because of the false narrative that their in conference games are so much better than anyone else.

A prime example is this year, Alabama's 2 best wins are against LSU (lost to TROY!) and Mississippi State(currently losing to Louisville). Yet they still got into the playoff. I am not saying Alabama is not one of the top 4 teams in the country. What I am saying is they should be held to the same standard as everyone else.

I completely agree with your points. I think Ohio State had a valid argument for getting into the playoff ahead of Alabama. Alabama had a really weak non-conference schedule and didn't beat any really good teams in the SEC; Ohio State had better wins and an overall tougher schedule. The Iowa loss seemed to be the sole excuse people gave to keep them behind Alabama.

The one thing of note regarding the B1G is that they were underdogs in several of their early bowl wins, which shows they weren't getting as much respect, as a conference, as they probably deserved.

Something to think about regarding the B1G bowl success this year ...

Bowls are all about match-ups, and because the B1G doesn't have a team in the playoffs, that pushes all of their teams down one slot from where they would normally be. Add in the fact that the SEC has two teams in the playoffs and their teams are all bumped *up* a notch. That helps to explain their 0-3 record so far.

If Ohio State had made it into the playoffs, they would be facing Clemson instead of USC, and all of the other B1G teams would be facing better opponents as well.

So while I do think it's nice that the B1G is winning all these bowl games, it doesn't necessarily prove that they deserved to have a team in the playoffs. It is probably an effect of them not having a team in the playoffs.

I get what you are saying' but it appears most bowl mtch ups are pretty even.

OSU #5 v USC #8
PSU v Wash
Wisc v Miami

Sorry, I lost track of other rankings, thought I had it handy. However, I recall most rankings close to each other, except for NU who played an unranked UK team.

It usually seemed the other way around. Big Ten would have a teen ranked team against a top ten, or nranked v teen ranked. Again, anecdotal evidence.

This year seems to be the closest match ups wrt rankings.

I completely agree with your points. I think Ohio State had a valid argument for getting into the playoff ahead of Alabama. Alabama had a really weak non-conference schedule and didn't beat any really good teams in the SEC; Ohio State had better wins and an overall tougher schedule. The Iowa loss seemed to be the sole excuse people gave to keep them behind Alabama.

The one thing of note regarding the B1G is that they were underdogs in several of their early bowl wins, which shows they weren't getting as much respect, as a conference, as they probably deserved.

Would love to pile on the Alabama/SEC argument, but I do believe Alabama had the #4 s-o-s v #7 for OSU . Even if I have them reversed, that is not a huge discrepancy.

OSU's drubbing at Iowa is what killed them.

I get what you are saying' but it appears most bowl mtch ups are pretty even.

OSU #5 v USC #8
PSU v Wash
Wisc v Miami

Sorry, I lost track of other rankings, thought I had it handy. However, I recall most rankings close to each other, except for NU who played an unranked UK team.

It usually seemed the other way around. Big Ten would have a teen ranked team against a top ten, or nranked v teen ranked. Again, anecdotal evidence.

This year seems to be the closest match ups wrt rankings.

Yes, usually the B1G does not get favorable Bowl match-ups, but this year they are more even. Also, they are usually at a disadvantage by having to travel across country and play in the opponent's region and often on their opponent's home field. For instance, Wisconsin playing Miami in the Orange Bowl this year.

Would love to pile on the Alabama/SEC argument, but I do believe Alabama had the #4 s-o-s v #7 for OSU . Even if I have them reversed, that is not a huge discrepancy.

OSU's drubbing at Iowa is what killed them.

That is a little deceiving. If you look at current rankings, Ohio State beat #6 Wisconsin, #9 Penn State, and #16 Michigan State. They lost to #2 Oklahoma and had that awful game against unranked Iowa.

Alabama's best win was against #17 LSU. They lost to #7 Auburn.

I was only addressing the sos discussion.

I know. I was addressing the fact that stat is deceiving, because Ohio State beat three teams ranked above Alabama's best win. What does that prove to have a very slightly better sos, when you lost to the only top-15 team you played?

Deleted member 654622

D
I was only addressing the sos discussion.

That is my very point. No way their SOS is stronger than OSU's. But it is that high by some media outlets due to how high they rank other SEC schools. I kept hearing some espn anchors saying Alabama had the 36th strongest schedule, but their "FPI" was like no. 1.

dgcrow

Kelso, WA
And the Pac-12 finishes its bowl season with a cool 1-8 record, including 0-4 against the Big Ten.

Deleted member 654622

D
This is a total home game for Miami. Wisconsin needs to man up and pound that football. They cant pass block this team

Deleted member 654622

D
Wisconsin really starting to play their game now. This crowd sounds like they are chocking on their turnover chains

MoCoMdIllini

Montgomery County, Maryland
Why wasn't Richt ejected? Refs afraid of either him, or fallout (read as fear) from the Kentucky kid getting ejected?
We were wondering the same thing here. He grabbed him with some force.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Illiini

In the land of the Nittany Lion
Penn State over Wash. Big Ten is rolling.

the national

the Front Range
I think its a win-win with scUM. They win, big ten sweeps...they lose, they were the only big ten team to lose(how embarrassing)